Gransnet forums

Chat

Onesies

(46 Posts)
Galen Tue 17-Dec-13 11:16:08

Lying in bed last night, listening to the wireless ( as one does) Winston Churchill was mentioned. It said they remembered him wearing a sort of overall thing. I presume this was his 'siren suit'.
Was this the original onesie, I wonder?

Granny23 Tue 17-Dec-13 23:30:53

People keep giving me cosy pyjamas, although I prefer nighties because PJ trousers always creep up and practically saw me in half. However, I now have a collection of light weight, fleecy PJ tops which I pop on over sleeveless nighties. Best of both worlds. smile

POGS Tue 17-Dec-13 23:30:43

My daughter and GD love theirs. I must admit they do look very cosy and warm.

My friends daughter (14) had a few friends over for a sleep over and all the girls wore onesies. Perhaps it's an age thing because whilst I wouldn't wear one I think they can look good on some.

rockgran. You are right to mention 'jump suits' they were no different really. I remember how much I liked mine. ABBA, Sheena Easton etc. etc. they were great weren't they, usually with big shoulder pads. Happy days.

rockgran Tue 17-Dec-13 23:15:57

When jump suits were popular in the 1980s I had about 12 - one in every colour. However I was slim then and with a nice tight belt they looked quite sexy. In a onesie I would now look like a teletubbie.

Icyalittle Tue 17-Dec-13 22:59:37

Skiing salopettes (I mean salopettes for skiing) are just as bad. You have to take your jacket off completely and the floor is always wet in mountain loos.

Caramac Tue 17-Dec-13 22:25:34

I cannot understand why anyone would wear a onesie outside of their home. Even for charity I would not wear such an impractical and unflattering garment - I would just make a donation and wear proper clothes. I know of professional people wearing them for work because the weather is cold!

annodomini Tue 17-Dec-13 22:23:51

I have a couple of M&S nighties with sleeves - got them in the sale one year.

glassortwo Tue 17-Dec-13 22:19:25

tegan when I was in hospital having my first some clever dick was putting cling film over the loos on the ward where we were all being induced, and had to make a dash after having our enema tchhmm

jinglbellrocks Tue 17-Dec-13 22:08:55

Bought mine there for years. Nice and cosy.

jinglbellrocks Tue 17-Dec-13 22:07:14

Marks and sparks!

withany Tue 17-Dec-13 21:54:30

I remember wearing a cat suit in the 70's and having to virtually undress to use the loo, I was at a dance and the loo was not the best shall we say, and I was semi crouched clutching hold of cat suit and trying to stop the trouser part touching the floor. I never wore it again, as for a onesie I doubt I could get it on, never mind getting it off, I can't get these slim you trim you tops on either, they just seem to roll up under my bust, and as for the knickers I hadn't the strength to pull them up. Think I'll stick to pyjamas or a nightgown Why is it so hard to get a nightgown with sleeves?

merlotgran Tue 17-Dec-13 20:44:06

No, it's not an urban myth, Tegan tchgrin

When I was 14, I went on a Red Cross cadet holiday where we stayed in a village hall. I think the beds had previously been used in a WW1 hospital!
There were no indoor loos so a few chamber pots were lined up in a row behind some screens at the end of the room.

Half a tin of Andrews Liver Salts in the bottom of the first one gave us all a good laugh at some poor unfortunate girl's expense. tchshock tchgrin

annodomini Tue 17-Dec-13 20:05:22

My granny wore combinations - all year round, I seem to remember - and when she came to stay, my mother was so embarrassed about having them out on the washing line in case anyone thought they were hers.

Tegan Tue 17-Dec-13 20:03:49

Then of course there was the student joke of putting cling film across the top of the toilet [or is that an urban myth?]

Elegran Tue 17-Dec-13 19:40:58

My mother once wore two pairs of knickers in very cold weather, but when she went to the loo she forgot, and only took down one pair.

Marelli Tue 17-Dec-13 19:38:03

They used to be called 'combinations', didn't they? DH remembers one elderly chap where he used to work, had been wearing his combinations underneath his underpants (it was farm work), and he had dashed off to use the Portaloo - forgetting that he had to unbutton the flap at the back of his combinations in order to do the necessary....tchshocktchblush!

Agus Tue 17-Dec-13 19:28:32

I well remember the hot pants and boiler suits, sometimes known as flying suits.. Another one I remember causing panic when I was desperate for the loo was denim daungarees.

Marelli Tue 17-Dec-13 19:27:16

tchgrin!!

Elegran Tue 17-Dec-13 19:03:13

G23 My friend in the hotpants was a keen caravanner, as were we, and we joined them for a few days in our vans. She arrived with a similar story.

She had been desperate for a wee, and they stopped in a layby for her to nip into the loo in the van. She dropped trousers and pants, sat down and then realised that she had not taken the tight-fitting lid off the pan. Too late to remove it by then, so she shot out of the loo, and stuck her bum out of the van door.

It was a busy road. . .

Granny23 Tue 17-Dec-13 18:54:28

We had siren suits as children, (still have the photos) but they were an outdoor garment worn with wellie boots.

I remember when 'jump suits' were all the rage and I accompanied DH to the Musicians' Union Dance wearing one. It was silk, with purple and turquoise swirls and 16 small fabric covered buttons and loops DOWN THE BACK. OK when Dh was there to button me in or out of it but impossible when I went to the hotel loo after a few lemonades. I had to accost a perfect stranger and beg for assistance. She was so tiddly that it took her ages to undo the buttons and disappeared while I was in the cubicle, leaving me to rejoin the dance with a bare back under my wrap.

I swore that I would never wear another one but then bought a day wear one with a zip up the front. I happened to be wearing this when DH arrived hope from playing at 1.00am on a beautiful June night and we decided to set off on holiday (in his works van) right away, with a flask of coffee, instead of waiting until morning. Half way to Aviemore, dawn having broken and not a single other vehicle on the road, I decided I had to 'go'. No problem- stop in a layby, open both van doors, unzip and remove jumpsuit, in case it got wet, crouch down. So if you happened to be on the o'night Inverness/London train that night, which passed by some four feet away, very slowly as it was going up a steep hill, at the precise wiping moment, I do apologise and promise never to do it again. grin

NfkDumpling Tue 17-Dec-13 18:08:21

I agree Mishap. I'm decidedly a tatty gran (although DH has been known to say I brush up quite well). But I still wouldn't want to cover up by wearing a onesie

Mishap Tue 17-Dec-13 17:54:52

I am always fascinated by people like that merlot - how do they do this thing? Do they spend all night in a bubble? Do they have time to anything other than titivate? Beats me why anyone would bother!

Signed: Scruffy Grandma

merlotgran Tue 17-Dec-13 17:46:57

DD's mother-in-law will be spending Christmas with us all this year. She's very glam, always has immaculate hair and nails and doesn't ever look as though she's been dragged through a hedge backwards.

So I'm PRAYING that nobody buys me a onesie tchblush

If anyone does.....please don't expect me to wear it until everyone's gone home!

NfkDumpling Tue 17-Dec-13 17:40:23

I just don't understand why anyone, especially a woman, would want to wear one. It might be good for keeping warm, but stripping off to go to the loo rather defeats the object. It's just very unflattering fancy dress.

alternativegran Tue 17-Dec-13 17:17:31

Just noticed Ninathenana's post, my onesie was definitely meant for bed but thinner than the ones that I have seen.

alternativegran Tue 17-Dec-13 17:12:46

Over thirty years ago my daughter brought me a onesie back from Canada with a flap in the back. I am not sure what they were called then, but it was just like an adult baby grow, not appreciated by my husband but amazingly warm in bed in our very cold house.