Gransnet forums

Chat

Things I have learnt over the past few months.

(75 Posts)
Anne58 Sat 18-Jan-14 17:07:10

Hopefully we are now seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and equally hopefully it is not the headlights of an oncoming train!

With any luck, and a following wind, Mr P and I can look forward to better times, although we acknowledge that it will take a bit of time to get back on an even keel financially.

I have been thinking about things, particularly the really positive things that I can take from the recent experiences, these are a few things that come to mind:

The importance and value of a good basic store cupboard and freezer

How glad I am that I can actually cook from scratch

I am more resourceful than I thought I was! (v. proud of chicken & asparagus pasta, with 1 chicken breast and an out of date tin of asparagus spears blush grin

It is amazing how far you can stretch a pack of mince!

2 chicken thighs per person is fine

Serving meals on 9.5 inch plates rather than 11 inch ones works well wink

Cats do not notice or start a protest march if you reduce their tinned food by around a third

That a newspaper (my preferred one is £1.20 per day!) is not an essential, it is a treat.

But most importantly, how kind, generous and supportive people can be, it has made the world of difference, although it is not quite in the realm of Blanche Du Bois (I have always depended on the kindness of strangers) , I have had cause to be thankful for the kindness of internet friends.

Much love and thanks to all.

Bez Tue 21-Jan-14 13:18:38

Our cat used each of us for different things- the only lap she would sit on was my ex DH. DS -in theory it was his cat - could pick her up and hold her like a baby - I was the only one allowed to tend to her if she needed any treatment - DD was only allowed to give her food - but she would take that from any of us. grin !

Anne58 Tue 21-Jan-14 12:40:21

Oh heavens, whatever would that say about me! shock

grannyactivist Tue 21-Jan-14 12:38:12

Many years ago two friends of mine each got a kitten from the same litter. Ann was a very calm and organised person with two very well behaved boys and her kitten became a very pampered lap cat. The other kitten went to a completely scatty family, hated being petted and was always getting into scrapes and fights - he's the only cat I've ever known who actually was rescued by the fire and rescue service. So, do kittens become like their owners or was this just a fluke? hmm

Anne58 Tue 21-Jan-14 11:27:31

kitty I'm not at all sure that Lily would be quite so good! Although she is happy to sit on my lap and likes being picked up and cuddled, any "invasion" of her person is not welcome, this even includes having flea drops put on.

Isn't it funny how cats vary? We've had Maurice from a kitten, he was always being picked up, but now hates it. Strokes, yes, sitting on laps, fine, a good firm brushing, ecstasy! (he sort of goes all splat cat on the floor, as if he was trying to do an impression of a tiger skin rug). He is also the easiest cat in the world to give tablets to. But try to pick him up and give him a cuddle? It's like trying to deal with an octopus, there just seems to be legs everywhere.

rosesarered Tue 21-Jan-14 11:23:28

Do we keep the cats going, or do the cats keep us going? smile

kittylester Tue 21-Jan-14 11:14:57

We had a very 'nervy' cat, phoenix, who spent most of his life in a cupboard in our bedroom and who, towards the end of his life, had to have daily tablets. After a few fairly hair-raising days he used to appear at the correct time - I think he looked on it as his 'special' time with us.

Charleygirl Tue 21-Jan-14 09:49:35

For an elderly cat, Lily can move!

Anne58 Mon 20-Jan-14 23:15:12

I really don't know Charleygirl but I know from googling that many cats can still have a good quality of life providing they are not having cluster fits, which Lily doesn't. There are various test that can be done to eliminate things such as thyroid problems, and depending on the cause they can be put on medication to stop or at least control the fits.

I do think that having pills administered on a daily basis would just about finish Lily off! She did come through to the sitting room earlier and sit on my lap for over an hour, she seemed quite happy. However when I tried to ease her onto a cushion so that I could go to the loo, it was all off at Newmarket again! A leap to the back of the sofa, thence to the floor, quick leg spin on the laminate before getting a good purchase on the rug and back onto the stairs, head out between the bannisters as if she had been there all evening. She does it so quickly, frightened Digby half to death as she leaped over him.

Charleygirl Mon 20-Jan-14 18:48:29

Poor Lily I do feel so sorry for her. I wonder what causes fits in cats?

Anne58 Mon 20-Jan-14 12:42:40

blush

You wouldn't think so at the moment (smart I mean!) I have my house cleaning gear on, and have several blobs of Savlon on my face, hands & neck.

I have warned Lily that spending most of her time halfway up the stairs with her head through the bannisters is NOT a good idea for a cat who has fits! She excelled herself this time, ended up on the wrong side, dangling about 7ft above the hall floor. I grabbed her mid-fit and got pretty well scratched.

Ariadne Mon 20-Jan-14 12:24:41

*You are all so right about Phoenix! We have met (and it is time we did so again, P!) and she is a very smart and attractive woman. Slightly mad, of course, but that's why she fits in so well here!

Strong and bolshie assertive too. I have my fingers crossed for you both! sunshine

FlicketyB Mon 20-Jan-14 12:15:11

Phoenix. I think many of us find you an inspiration for keep going in adversity. I know you have had your highs and lows, but you soldier on. Many people surprise themselves by finding out how heroic they can be in an emergency, but just plugging on is far more worthy of merit.

Tegan Sun 19-Jan-14 21:46:19

I probably wouldn't understand anyway phoenix confused. It's all trial and error at the moment, but I'm slowly moving forward. Keeps me out of mischief [and gives me an excuse not to do any housework].

baubles Sun 19-Jan-14 20:34:27

Lovely photo of you & Jack phoenix x

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 19:53:34

Errm, Mr P did it! blush

I think he just scanned it in the normal way, then created a new file/folder on the desktop and saved it there.

If you would like a better description, I can ask him exactly how he did it?

Tegan Sun 19-Jan-14 19:34:36

Why is it always white cats that don't like to be combed? My silver tabby, the sweetest cat ever, turned into a demon when I tried to comb/brush her. My house just had white fur everywhere. phoenix; how did you add that photo? I've just bought a scanner and I can't work out how to put photos on the pooter [although I can now copy things].

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 19:25:41

There were a few times when I had to cut clumps out with scissors, still a two person job though. Of course you have to bear in mind that this is a cat for whom the applying of flea drops is enough to bring a fit of the vapours!

Watch those scratches Marelli Lily swiped me a few weeks back and it went swollen and sore.

Marelli Sun 19-Jan-14 19:00:50

Daisy's got chunky bits of fur shock ....perhaps grooming gloves won't be enough, phoenix confused DH and I have just attempted (a few minutes ago), to carefully tease the matts out - hasn't worked at all well....ouch!
The warmest of wishes for Mr P tomorrow!

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 17:50:16

Nfk yes, it is tomorrow, he's shined his shoes especially!

Please don't forget that the photographs are not recent!

NfkDumpling Sun 19-Jan-14 17:39:53

Lovely pictures Phoenix. I wish I had a as much cellulite as you don't! Very good looking horse too. I used to think being flat in front was a problem until a buxom horsey friend pointed out the disadvantages of a bouncy canter and a imperfect landing over a good jump!

I'm so glad things are looking better for you now and please pass on good wishes for your DH for tomorrow (is it tomorrow?)

Anne58 Sun 19-Jan-14 17:37:23

Woodstock was my dressage horse, a lovely lad, half Suffolk Punch, sadly long gone to the field in the sky.

I'll have a sort through and find a few more mog shots!

Marelli Lily doesn't look quite so good lately, she has got a bit lax over her beauty regime. Her tail looks like a peroxide blonde who needs her roots doing! grin She isn't too keen on the brush, but I got some grooming gloves on Amazon and she will tolerate a bit of a going over with them whilst sitting on my lap.

Charleygirl Sun 19-Jan-14 17:22:49

I agree re the chicken thighs, there is rarely much meat on any of them. The meal has to be enhanced with vegetables and potatoes.

Woodstock is handsome.

I would love to see more photos of your gorgeous cats, thank you.

MrsSB Sun 19-Jan-14 17:21:38

Phoenix, your post is inspiring! My DH has just taken early retirement at the age of 62 because he hated his job and I could see him becoming more depressed and morose day by day. It's cut our income by about 50% but we're lucky that we now have a life. We're quite happy to eat cheaper food, we're not drinkers anyway so the wine rack will probably stay intact until after he draws his pension in 3 years time, and we don't go out for meals apart from on special occasions. Our one treat at the moment is a coffee, and maybe, if we're feeling very naughty, a cake, once a week. However, we don't mind because now my DH is happy! And whatever happens, we WILL manage!

Well done to you and MrP for getting through tough times and I hope 2014 is kind to you both.

Agus Sun 19-Jan-14 16:48:15

Lovely photo of you and your boy Phoenix. Good luck to Mr P for tomorrow. Fingers still crossed for you too of course.

Marelli Sun 19-Jan-14 16:30:31

phoenix, your white cat is the image of my Daisy. Can you tell me how you keep her/him matt-free? Daisy just will not allow me near her with a brush, and the matts are building up again....blush