Gransnet forums

Chat

..anyone else awake??

(1001 Posts)
Goose Fri 31-Jan-14 05:50:33

Can't sleep - won't sleep - anyone else awake?

cornergran Sun 08-Oct-17 07:58:55

I'm another one who managed an uninterrupted sleep. Dare I say it? Yawning my head off, though, daft or what? Was with the extended family yesterday and somehow we got to talking about sleeping, or not. 60% of the women there of all ages described very disturbed sleep, no matter how active the day. We're definitely not alone. Delighted for those here for whom the nights are improving, commiserations to those struggling. Rest when you can.

Imperfect27 Sun 08-Oct-17 07:29:54

Morning morethan, yes I did. It is nice to work and not bring it home at the end of the day, but not convinced it will be right for me long-term. However, I have met some really lovely people and it is going well at the moment, thank you. smile

Nana3 Sun 08-Oct-17 07:11:25

Well I managed an hour or so, don't want to get up though, will bring a cuppa back to bed,
Hope you have a peaceful day everyone.

morethan2 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:41:01

Hope you've managed to snuggle down for an hour or so Maw I'm glad things are a tad better and I hope they continue to improve. Morning Imperfect did you get that job? I really hate to be smug but although it's dark here it's not cold but then I live in the south east and being a northerner I remember with a shiver those cold mornings up north

Grandma70s Sun 08-Oct-17 06:38:06

Oh well, we’re not alone at least! I seem to be the only one among my friends who can’t sleep. At least I don’t have to do anything much today except feed myself. I can’t think how people cope if they have to do a lot, look after others and so on.

Imperfect27 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:28:44

Maw, I'm wrapped up in a blanket and not ready to face the world yet... Hope you get some more zzzzs. x

MawBroon Sun 08-Oct-17 06:20:06

I suppose I could pretend it is morning and make us some tea but it IS Sunday so here’s hopes of another hour or so.
It is pitch black and COLD and I don’t even want to think about getting up.
(Woken at 2 then 5.45, things are definitely looking up!)

Imperfect27 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:12:37

Yes, those rare 'straight through' nights are a wonder! Enjoy your [café] Morethan. Coffee brewing here and I do like the absolute quiet of the morning so some compensations.

morethan2 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:09:21

I'm thrilled. I woke up and after twenty minutes realising that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep I got up. I was expecting it to be about 3-4 and it was 5.40. Only those of us who have trouble sleeping will understand my joy. I slept all night. smile I wish I knew the answer to your questionNana3 but I don't. All of us on this thread have been mulling it over throughout the early hours of too many early mornings. sad both yourself and Grandma70s will probably be exhausted by 11 o'clock. I'm going to join the rest of you and have a brew and perhaps dip my toes into others posts here on GN

Imperfect27 Sun 08-Oct-17 06:07:11

Nana and Grandma I hope you have are able to get some further rest since waking early ... I woke up at 5:17 (!) - If I wake up after anything more than about 3 hours, I never get back to sleep straight away. Glad to have a relatively quiet day ahead of me. I hope you do too.

Grandma70s Sun 08-Oct-17 05:28:13

Woke at 4.30. Tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t. Having a cup of tea now.

Nana3 Sun 08-Oct-17 04:52:44

Been awake for an hour or so now, feel tired so why can't I sleep. Going to try the alphabet game if that doesn't work I'll get up and make a cup of tea.

Nana3 Thu 05-Oct-17 09:13:08

Thank you granniequeenie.

MissAdventure Thu 05-Oct-17 08:25:41

I didn't sleep well again. I'm still at work though: sleeping in an unfamiliar single bed which creaks whenever I move. Possibly may be back in my own bed tonight though. Not that I sleep much better there these days!

MawBroon Thu 05-Oct-17 08:15:05

I take it back.
Up again 6 and then 7.45
brew now and a giant DO NOT DISTURB notice on the door!

Marydoll Thu 05-Oct-17 07:07:17

Oh what a terrible night you all had. Tanith I hope your husband feels better this morning, how worrying for you. I haven't slept all night due to the insect bites I have acquired on holiday. They suddenly appeared last night. As I didn't want to disturb DH, I lay awake all night. Being in a hotel room I had nowhere to go, so as not to disturb him. Bite cream and antihistamines don't seem to be having any effect on them.
He is off in a few minutes to play golf, so I will try a long, cool bath.
I hope everyone has a better day today, than last night.

Liz46 Thu 05-Oct-17 06:31:01

I slept well until 4.30, then read my book in bed until 5.30. I've moved to the spare room so that I disturb my husband less. Downstairs with a cup of tea now, yawning my head off!

Gagagran Thu 05-Oct-17 06:27:37

What is the matter with us all? I have had my usual series of short dozes - definitely does not qualify as a "sleep". Is it something to do with getting older? Turned light off at 11, awake at 1, 2.15, 3, 4.15 and got up at 5.30. Hey ho.

Grandma70s Thu 05-Oct-17 06:18:56

Rubbish night for me. Slept 1.30 till about 5.

Imperfect27 Thu 05-Oct-17 05:56:43

Well, that was the non-night that was for many it seems. Maybe the weather contributed again. I woke well before 5, fought it for a while, but gave in and up since 5:13 precisely! I always worry that I will disturb DH with my tossing and turning.

Lots to do today, but at least I didn't wake up fretting. Here's to the day being better than the night before Gnetters x

cornergran Thu 05-Oct-17 05:51:55

Woke at 1.30, must have gone back and next looked at the clock at 4.30, given up now. Get a sort of electric shock pain in my knee when I turn over, think that's the problem at the moment. Oh well, and this too will pass. No chance of a sleep in the day sadly, Mr C fortunately doesn't wake with the iPad so it's back to the gardening programmes. I'm another recommending Bronchostop for a cough, bellanonna, helped me earlier in the year. Goodness tanith hope your husband is OK, how frustrating if you have to cancel. Hope you both got back to sleep ann and maw, you both need all the sleep you can get to look after those men. I also wonder, like grannyq if Hattie is on guard a bit , or maybe she just gets all the sleep she needs in the day. Know what you mean about getting fed up with inconsistent sleep patterns grannyq, have always had the odd night of wakefulness, now it's the odd night of sleep. Life eh? Wind is howling here too although in a bungalow we don't hear it so much and there are no chimneys to amplify it. Lucky there. Oh well, back to iPlayer, hope you are all managing some rest if not sleep.

grannyqueenie Thu 05-Oct-17 05:19:12

Nana3 I'm.lying here as still as I can, trying not to disturb my old boy who's such a light sleeper. Daren't switch the light on! Sorry your dh has work worries, are you worrying for him too? Hope you both get a bit of rest before the day starts for real. x

grannyqueenie Thu 05-Oct-17 05:08:52

Hope you're all tucked up and sound asleep by now, shame I'm not, I'm so fed up with this inconsistent sleep pattern of mine! Good wishes for Friday, tanith hope your dh is well enough for his procedure.
You've a lot on your plate these days maw, it must be even harder to get to sleep when you're on high alert always wondering when you're going to be needed. Maybe Hattie feels the same. I'm afraid I can be short tempered when I've had a few sleepless nights, gone are days when I could just get up and on with it and do a good days work after only a couple of hours kip.
Try Olbas Oil pastilles, they must be good for you too, bellanonna. It's very hard to keep bugs to yourself when you share space with another person.
Well I'm off to turn my pillow over yet again but no doubt I'll be hot again in a few moments, meanwhile it's blowing a gale outside. x

Nana3 Thu 05-Oct-17 04:51:17

I'm awake, tried not putting the light on but have given in. The wind is howling in the chimney no chance of getting back to sleep now. I have finished my book so will watch something old too Belladonna.
Sorry for all those with coughs and colds and your OH tanith hope that doesn't come to anything. My OH is up too, he has a lot of worries at work but that's normal.

Bellanonna Thu 05-Oct-17 04:38:25

Ha ha, might add it to my array of things to take. Maybe break the vicious circle now by not letting Hattie out? She probably thinks it's expected of her. Hope you manage a bit more sleep maw.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion