Gransnet forums

Chat

here you are stansgran

(46 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Sat 08-Feb-14 11:55:48

thread you mentioned

harrigran Sun 09-Feb-14 00:13:20

My mother was born in 1909 and she seemed to be able to turn her hand to anything. Had she lived a bit longer I am positive she would have enjoyed using a computer too.

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:50:38

My dad was born in 1899, a Victorian. I told a friend once that my great aunt had been born in 1853 (and one in 1851 who died in infancy), my friend said that was impossible! But it is true.

What changes did they see?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 08-Feb-14 20:49:49

We had no electricity in our house. Gas lights downstairs, candles and oil lamps up.

Deedaa Sat 08-Feb-14 20:49:09

I'd like to see any of them take on DH when it comes to computers! Before he retired it was quite usual to find him surrounded by 4 or 5 computers he was fixing for people at work. And in spite of DD's PhD and being a world leader in her field she has just as much trouble with her smart phone as I do grin

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 20:46:46

My mother remembered the first cars in the street and electricity being put in the house. She was born 9/9/1919

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:43:17

But DH's grandmother had seen the introduction of cars and someone walking ahead with a flag! So much change so quickly!

Ana Sat 08-Feb-14 20:33:16

I did say that, margaret, when I realised that the time-delay had made it look as though I was responding to your post!

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:30:24

Ana I think you were agreeing with Mishap rather than me!

I don't want to be thought of as a bit old and incapable! Although I probably am, because I dislike my rather oldfashioned mobile and always forget to charge it! But getting to grips with my tablet which will impress my DC.

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-14 20:29:37

I love it. I've put it on facebook. The family will laugh their heads off.

Ana Sat 08-Feb-14 20:27:03

(I meant I agree with Mishap. Can't Mumsnet have their own opinions? FGS...)

Ana Sat 08-Feb-14 20:25:45

I agree. Why is everyone getting so het up about this?

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:25:14

But we are baby boomers - responsible for everything that is wrong, surely? The reason why the poor dears are struggling to pay for their basics such as iPads iPhones, foreign holidays, 4x4s, wardrobes full of lovely clothes etc.

And we are so slow on the uptake as well. However did we manage to bring up a family, hold down a job and look after elderly parents?

Mishap Sat 08-Feb-14 20:21:09

I thought it was rather a charming thread. There was a feeling of affection that came across as well - and one of them made the point that it might be interesting to imagine what technologies their children will take for granted, but they themselves would be struggling with.

Rosannie Sat 08-Feb-14 20:13:21

Well said merlot, lets brush up our kick boxing skills as well as technology.
We are actually a strong generation, all those traditional skills and talents and still young, active and interested enough to embrace the modern stuff too!

margaretm74 Sat 08-Feb-14 20:13:19

We've had to adapt to more change than they have I think, comparatively. Unless there are some wonderful inventions and breakthroughs in the next 20 or so years. I remember one of the first computers (filled a room!) ? And the first course in computing science (circa 1966?)

But I do remember DH's grandma saying "that nice new white cupboard in the corner keeps the food nice and cold". Then kept unplugging it.

Ana Sat 08-Feb-14 20:09:58

I was just about to say that a lot of them are more or less our age - have a look at baubles' thread! grin

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-14 20:02:06

Not just re-inventing it, Rosannie but giving it a good slap when it tries to catch up with us. grin

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-14 19:59:37

They don't read instructions do they? I thought it all came naturally at their age. hmm

Rosannie Sat 08-Feb-14 19:59:22

A relevant quote from the article by Deborah Moggach:

The thing is the world has changed. Us lot, who grew up in the sixties, aren't ready to retire gracefully. I do believe we're re-inventing old age as we're entering it.

Agus Sat 08-Feb-14 19:57:40

Selective memories obviously. Have they forgotten they hadn't a clue either until either they read the instructions or someone showed them what to do?

Revenge? Their day will come. wink Smug little madams.

Nelliemoser Sat 08-Feb-14 19:55:55

It made me smile! We could do a similar one in retaliation about how we feel about our their generation.
My 11yr old great niece has has to teach her mum about computer use. I am better than my niece is.

merlotgran Sat 08-Feb-14 19:53:49

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages. Thanks, jingl grin

Rosannie Sat 08-Feb-14 19:40:26

Well said Whenim64, sorry jinglbells I'm all talk so no ideas at the moment but I will keep thinking and I'm sure there are some cunning Grans out there who have got their danders up too who can do some plotting!

Galen Sat 08-Feb-14 19:36:15

Just been having a FaceTime conversation with my aunt via our iPads. She's 92!

Ana Sat 08-Feb-14 19:34:38

They don't care about most of those things though, do they? Not with iron-on labels, plugs fitted on all new appliances and cheap supermarket clothes etc.