Gransnet forums

Chat

Wraysbury

(12 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 11-Feb-14 08:17:24

Let's hope our Feetle is OK in Wraysbury - it seems that the residents there have been left to their own devices and rely on volunteers.

Nice to have community spirit but it's about time they had some professional help!

LizG Tue 11-Feb-14 08:33:43

Yes Riverwalk Hopefully Feetle is okay. Listening to the radio this morning all those poor volunteers sound exhausted.

Brendawymms Tue 11-Feb-14 08:45:43

It is wonderful that there are resourceful people who are willing to help others. But will their efforts be appreciated by the powers that be, I doubt it. They deserve a medal.

Soutra Tue 11-Feb-14 09:03:20

Sending cyberwaders feetle and hoping your pooter/laptop/ipad well above water level - oh and you too of course smile

glammanana Tue 11-Feb-14 09:04:50

Yes thoughts here for feetle and hoping he is ok along with his neighbours,the awful reports on the news to-day and the complete lack of help is appalling well done to all those volunteers they have had no respite for days now and must be exhausted.

petallus Tue 11-Feb-14 10:08:08

I have a friend who lives in Wraysbury in a house with a garden going down to the Thames.

Must find out how she is doing.

janerowena Tue 11-Feb-14 10:21:26

My grandmother's old house at Hythe End, Wraysbury goes down to the Thames, when we used to stay there the river often came up the steps at the back of the house. The house, originally built in the 30s was built very high on concrete plinths with storage underneath. When she died and my grandfather went to live with my aunt, I went round to say goodbye to the house and a new one was already being built in its place. Directly on to the ground. I was a bit shocked that they had been allowed to get away with the plans. That was about ten years ago.

My uncle and aunt had a house directly on the river in the main village, and their ground floor (built in the 60s, a town house) consisted of a cellar. When they moved, despite warnings, the next owners converted the ground floor into another sitting room and bathroom. People often don't do a lot of resrearch before they buy - and unscrupulous builders will keep quiet.

Nonnie Tue 11-Feb-14 10:24:16

I feel so sorry for all those affected, not just in Wraysbury. On our local news I saw a man whose home had never been flooded before but is now because the flood barriers further up river have driven the water to his home.

I need to go and pick up my new phone before 19th or they will send it back but the only way I can get into the city to do so is by boat and I don't have one! The city is isolated but the swans are having a great time!

We are so fortunate to live on a hill.

harrigran Tue 11-Feb-14 10:35:43

My heart goes out to all those suffering in the floods, it must be extremely frustrating not to have the help they need.

feetlebaum Tue 11-Feb-14 10:56:33

So far my particular bit of Wraysbury (Windsor Road) is surviving. Traffic is moving - the postman has been (another bloody advert!) - and people are walking dogs etc. - but it is touch and go.

Galen Tue 11-Feb-14 11:02:51

Hope you keep safe.

glammanana Tue 11-Feb-14 12:16:19

Stay safe feetle