Gransnet forums

Chat

What a plonker !

(15 Posts)
NanKate Tue 11-Mar-14 18:38:00

I love outdoor concerts in the summer where we can take a picnic and be entertained on a 'warm' evening.

Last year when we went to the New Forest I checked in advance for anything suitable and found in Lyndhurst, a lovely little town in the Forest, there was to be a 3 day FREE Music Festival. Brilliant we thought.

We arrived at our holiday cottage and immediately prepared a scrummy picnic with chilled wine to take to said concert.

On arriving in Lyndhurst we were surprised that there was no one in the grounds of the Council Offices (where we had seen a show a couple of years previously). On asking a local she confirmed there was NO 3 Day Festival - shock horror. confused

Back at the cottage I checked on the Internet if I had got the wrong dates and I hadn't and Louis Prima Junior and his Band were appearing at Lyndhurst. However the advert did not say it was Lyndhurst a few hundred miles west of New York !!!

My DH did say that when I said, just before the hols, that I thought it was a long way for the South American Band to come and perform in the NF, it did ring a few alarm bells, but of course he said nothing.

Have you ever been a plonker ?

Anne58 Tue 11-Mar-14 18:42:12

yes, most memorably when I went to the wrong funeral blush

Grannyknot Tue 11-Mar-14 18:46:17

Yes we went to a Van Morrison outdoor concert on the wrong day (24 hours too late) and pulled up bemused, at an empty field. We kicked ourselves, the tickets had been pricey. And you do feel such a plonker smile

baubles Tue 11-Mar-14 18:59:33

Yes, another plonker here. Several years ago I arrived in Birmingham 24 hours early for a seminar. Cue hurried change of flight and booking additional night in hotel (all at my own expense).

J52 Tue 11-Mar-14 19:39:34

A few years ago we were first in the queue for the early Portsmouth - Le Havre ferry, pleased as punch! The boarding officer looked at the tickets and said "you're nice and early". Yes, we grinned! " 24 hours early!"
As we couldn't turn round we just paid the extra fare! X

Deedaa Tue 11-Mar-14 21:02:12

My mother once went to the wrong funeral phoenix she'd sat through nearly the whole thing before she realised that she really didn't know anybody!
My best friend and I used to continually wait at the wrong station for each other when we were at school (We're not much better now!)

rosesarered Tue 11-Mar-14 21:14:33

Thw wrong funeral? This sounds like a sit-com [I would watch it.]Tell us more!

rosesarered Tue 11-Mar-14 21:15:09

The [not thw] smile

Flowerofthewest Tue 11-Mar-14 22:16:17

Got dressed in our glad rags to go to King's Lynn for a Don Williams concert and found that we had missed it by a day sad

Eloethan Tue 11-Mar-14 22:19:23

Nankate I'm sure a lot of people could have made the same mistake - well, me at least.

Slightly off topic, your speaking about an open air concert reminded me of the time my mum and dad won some tickets for a outdoor classical concert.

Mum took some egg sandwiches wrapped in foil and a flask of coffee for the "picnic" and was so embarrassed to find that it was quite an up-market affair, with most people turning up with elaborate hampers full of luxury foods, bottles of champagne, proper glasses, etc. etc.

Aka Tue 11-Mar-14 22:32:48

A few years ago and newly retired I was looking for a beginners archery class I found one locally (I thought) and after a pleasant conversation via email with the club secretary Bruce, I found dates which suited and filled in the online application only to be told that I wouldn't be able to take up my place unless I was prepared to travel....a long way.

It appeared the town I lived in was also the name of a town in Australia hmm

ninathenana Tue 11-Mar-14 22:39:03

I went to an open air classical concert in the grounds of Leeds Castle that was a bit like that. It was a case of "them and us" some even had folding tables covered in white cloths and chairs. But there were a lot like us sitting on tartan rugs smile

absent Wed 12-Mar-14 00:02:21

My sister once went back to school after the summer holidays two days early.

Agus Wed 12-Mar-14 00:42:31

I have just stated on another thread that vinegar waters down the acid in dogs' urine!!!! A real plonker moment.

Flowerofthewest Wed 12-Mar-14 23:00:36

Having just decorated the hall, stairs and landing I treated us to three rather cute lampshades. DH kindly offered to put the up. Now, we have two in the hall and one at the top of the stairs. DH had trouble with the ceiling rose on the light at the bottom of the stairs so he dismantled it and tried the switch whereupon it would not work. So he went and found another light bulb, switched the light on and it still did not work. He then dismantled the fitting again, called to me to hold the electrical meter while he tested to see if there was any 'life' in it. By then I had had enough, we decided to put it together again and leave it for an electrician(the best idea he had had all day) He was pleased, though, that the light at the top of the stairs was still working. This is activated by the switch which I was turning on and off.

To cut a long long story and a long long afternoon short, we have three light switches in the hall, we have lived here for 30 years!!!! He then switched on one of the other switches and 'Hey Presto' the light which we had been trying to fix came on. We had both been flicking the wrong flippin' light switch!

Yes, two plonkers for the price of one.