Gransnet forums

Chat

What planet are they on?!

(17 Posts)
Grannyknot Wed 12-Mar-14 17:38:54

I think we should have a What planet are they on? thread.

Or otherwise this belongs in the "This made me laugh ..." (because it did).

Firstly I receive a special offer email about Rejuvenating Treatment for Hands from a place where I've had face treatments in the past. The "Special Offer" of "intensive hand rejuvenation plan will plump, smooth, disguise unsightly veins and lighten any pigmentation problems. Beautiful hands are within your grasp" costs .... drum roll ...£660.00 shock

Secondly, I look at the Thermomix write up clicking on the link from the GN pages - "10 must have gadgets" etc. read read read about this wonderful food mixer. Nowhere does it say the price. Remember the days when you had to have a "party" to find out how much the Magimix costs? Well, now we have Google. So because I am currently in the market for a food processor, I google and there you are, there's the price: £800+ shock That's more than my dishwasher cost, a lot more than my fridge, a heck of a lot more than my tumble dryer confused

So - what planet...!!

janeainsworth Wed 12-Mar-14 18:04:49

Only one shock emoticon GrannyK? shockshockshock
grin

Charleygirl Wed 12-Mar-14 18:36:12

What, "only" £660 for your hands, a snip at the price!!!!! How often would one need this treament? monthly? No problem financially!

I suppose if it is advertised, some idiot with more money than sense must be interested. I would not have it done for £66, never mind the rest.

merlotgran Wed 12-Mar-14 18:47:26

I had a thermomix when we had a restaurant and stupidly sold it as part of the fixtures and fittings.

I so regret parting company with it as I cannot now justify the expense of a new one. There is nothing to match it for making perfect sauces.

rosequartz Wed 12-Mar-14 18:58:17

DD1 has a Thermomix, finds it wonderful!
I'll put up with my hands rather than pay £660 - will anyone take up this offer? I suppose you could offer to be a guinea pig (for free, of course) grannyknot. But then I don't have facials either, suppose I should start looking after myself.

Grannyknot Wed 12-Mar-14 19:46:47

My hands would be a real challenge: lined, wrinkled since birth (my nickname at school was 'monkey hands'), veined, couple of scars from having basal skin carcinomas removed (so add all the discolouration from sun damage + sun spots) - they should use me as a guinea pig.

But I love my hands. And on the plus side, no arthritis.

Charleygirl Wed 12-Mar-14 20:28:12

Grannyknot if that is the price of a Magimix surely it would be economical to buy two in case the first one broke down?

Ana Wed 12-Mar-14 20:56:01

Well, you could actually buy two Magimixes for the price of a Thermomix!

Grannyknot Wed 12-Mar-14 22:11:45

smile

I just remembered something else about my hands: apparently I have "cross hatch palms" whatever that means hmm so someone who purported to be a palm reader told me once years ago. My palms are a criss cross of lines.

annodomini Wed 12-Mar-14 22:35:19

I have the second-top of range Magimix and am very pleased with it. I bought it after my Kenwood processor started emitting smoke and I needed a more reliable one. It wasn't cheap, but I couldn't possibly have afforded a Thermomix.

Galen Wed 12-Mar-14 22:52:21

I have a ken wood I bought 2-3 years ago. I've only just started using it, but it seems ok!
Just gone mad and bought a Victorian sewing table on eBay. I've always wanted one (even though I can't sew) really looking forward to its arrival

Grannyknot Thu 13-Mar-14 08:16:34

Galen good for you, that sounds lovely. You can look at it (even if you can't sew).

Nelliemoser Thu 13-Mar-14 08:32:11

GrannyKnot flipping heck! £660 is obscene. I guess it might help if one never did any more washing up, gardening sewing or anything else ever again.

feetlebaum Thu 13-Mar-14 08:52:44

I sometimes wonder what planet I'm from...

Ariadne Thu 13-Mar-14 09:21:59

Well, feetle I'd say planet normal, but....grin

Mishap Thu 13-Mar-14 09:45:21

I sometimes flick through the fashion section of a Sunday paper and am often heard to say "What planet etc....." Do people actually pay those prices for these rubbish garments? - or things to rub in their faces. Gullible fools say I.

Charleygirl Thu 13-Mar-14 13:18:33

Mishap it boils down to more money than sense.