Gransnet forums

Chat

What makes or breaks a holiday/break for you?

(42 Posts)
kittylester Fri 21-Mar-14 07:49:24

We are having a few days in the Peak District - the hotel is beautiful, our room quite luxurious, the food is fabulous - so why does the room only have a double bed rather than a king size confused

judidoo Fri 28-Mar-14 15:39:57

Thanks Annsixty,I will look them up.

annsixty Wed 26-Mar-14 20:20:05

Llandudno has 2 hotels which may suit,check out the St Georges and The Imperial. Both have been tried and found good.

annsixty Wed 26-Mar-14 20:09:46

Hate to say this but having spent 10 years near Rhyl it has no decent hotels and the town is "not nice"!!!Try Llandudno, far superior.

judidoo Wed 26-Mar-14 19:02:47

Have found it now, - Galen, do you know of a good place to stay, suitable for someone who needs a bit of TLC?

judidoo Wed 26-Mar-14 18:58:03

Kittyl. thanks for trying but it is too far. I looked it up though and really wish I could go there.

The other suggestion was Rhyl but I still need a hotel recommendation. I'm sorry your name is hidden as I type this. Am frightened of losing my message if I go back to find it now.

kittylester Tue 25-Mar-14 17:18:48

Judidoo this hotel might be too far for you but it is my favourite place to go for a break and sounds right up your street!

www.brudenellhotel.co.uk/

Stansgran Tue 25-Mar-14 16:18:54

My pet hate is flat screen TVs . Why do they have to dominate a room? If the hotel room has a sitting area why can't the tv be there. I stayed in an Almeria hotel where they put us in a suite, tv in bathrooms bedroom and sitting room. It's an addiction.

Ana Mon 24-Mar-14 19:13:47

grin

Galen Mon 24-Mar-14 18:00:28

Rhyl?

judidoo Mon 24-Mar-14 17:24:06

I just totally agree with Carygransnet, both the specifications.

These days I would add a comfy lounge with a view if possible, as I can no longer do all day out and about.

I love the seaside. Where can I find all these together? Must be within easy reach of Mid-Wales. Any recommendations?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:35:51

grin grin grin

I forgot to add spotlessly clean (along with the bed and lack of noise)

gillybob Mon 24-Mar-14 13:31:54

Nice fat pillows and soft white towels bath sheets for me. Also tea making facilities are an absolute must as I cannot funtion without my first cuppa of the day preferably in bed served by a sexy man straight from the shower with wet hair and a rippling chest wearing nothing but a small handtowel made lovingly by Mr Gillybob grin

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 24-Mar-14 13:24:57

Comfy bed and no noise.

papaoscar Mon 24-Mar-14 13:10:44

We were once lucky enough to be upgraded from economy to first-class on a flight to Australia. Did that make a difference? You bet! Trouble is, its never happened again and economy travel now feels very much like steerage class in the old days.

Tegan Mon 24-Mar-14 11:57:42

Having tea making facilities in the room. Had a holiday on Kefalonia once where there was no kettle [thankfully we'd taken a travel kettle with us but the owner of the hotel was furious about it] and there was no kettle when we had a few days in Paris last year.

rosesarered Mon 24-Mar-14 11:17:56

You can tell we are 'knocking on a bit' can't you when comfy beds are the top of the list! It never used to be, but it sure is now for us.Also on the make list... good quality food and cleanliness. Hopefully we would have picked a lovely area to stay anyway [or why go?]
On the break list...bad weather [top of that list for me] too many 'touts' if away from UK, and bad journeys for whatever reasons.

Ariadne Mon 24-Mar-14 11:11:08

I'm sure we have done this one before, haven't we? Never mind!

At least a king size bed, and an en suite, and decent coffee (rarely available in the UK - you only get instant) are essential.

I have hated staying in hotels when a coach parties arrive. Oh, I know, they are on holiday too, but it can transform a hotel's pleasant, calm atmosphere into a noisy, frenetic one.

Having said that, there were over 1,000 of us at an international conference in a hotel in San Diego, and I felt extremely sorry for anyone who had innocently booked a break there.

granjura Mon 24-Mar-14 11:01:52

A bad and too small bed is of course not conducive to a good holiday- but it is the people who make all the difference in the end...

rockgran Sun 23-Mar-14 19:41:18

Twin beds and ensuite are a must. Noisy TV through the walls is my pet hate. It makes my holiday if there is good wifi and I get a message from my family overseas. I need to know they are safe before I can enjoy myself. Once a mother.........hmm

nannymoocow Sun 23-Mar-14 17:42:12

For me too it has to be at least a kingsize bed - my OH is quite large and I need my own space. I recently read a double bed only gives each person the same amount of space as a babies cot!!

papaoscar Sat 22-Mar-14 14:42:03

Good company. Good accommodation. Good food. Good scenery. Good walking. Good security. Good fun. Good journeys to and from. All resulting in good feelings afterwards, and if the prices were right, all the better!

annodomini Fri 21-Mar-14 17:26:13

I can put up with a lot if I have the right company. My family's caravan has its limits but in any case I can sleep almost anywhere. My sister and I found a couple of 'interesting' hotels in Spain, but had a great time together. I can't say I was any happier the night we spent in the luxury of the Malaga parador. So for me it's people and ambience.

Grannyknot Fri 21-Mar-14 16:48:48

I think I posted about this before - I was bitterly disappointed one year with the place that I had rented for the adult kids and their partners and myself to go away for a long weekend (husband was away somewhere so it was just me). The cottage itself was nice enough, but the area around it was dismal. It was near Weymouth, and nothing like it was advertised on the website. It was one of those "owner direct" type websites and I wrote to them and complained because it was supposed to be "quality" cottages. Well, quality includes the surroundings as well.

And I agree Mollie - why would you leave a comfortable home, and pay for somewhere that isn't as nice? Doesn't make sense.

(See I did find a complaint! smile )

mollie Fri 21-Mar-14 16:32:52

Accommodation will always make or break it for me - it has to be very clean and as comfortable or better than at home. As I get older I'm pickier, I need comfort and to be happy with my base - the rest can be worked around. We've rented cottages that were dirty or not as advertised or were just too uncomfortable - those holidays were ruined for me. So, to be sure that we'll get what we need and expect we've returned to the same vacation spot for the last three years - something I never thought I'd do but it makes sense.

Grannyknot Fri 21-Mar-14 16:29:12

When we were on holiday in Florida in February, the one hotel room we stayed in had a massive round bed! Apart from the hilarity it caused when we first saw ut, one morning I woke up to find that I was lying diagonally across it and still not touching husband! (I'm quite short).