Gransnet forums

Chat

Contact the powers that be.

(181 Posts)
petra Sat 03-May-14 22:03:47

How do I contact the powers that be. I had a post deleted some time ago because of my comments on a certain poster. There is a live thread at the moment where, in my opinion, there are some very offensive comments, and jet, they are allowed to be printed.
I think we all know who I'm talking about. Please respond GN.

Elegran Sun 04-May-14 12:53:41

I agree, there are not groups getting together to speak for or against anything. Each posts an opinion. Sometimes that opinion is exactly the same as several others posting round about the same time. sometimes it is the diametric opposite.

Sometimes it is a comment of what someone else has posted as an opinion. So long as they do not insult the person posting what they disagree with, what is wrong with not agreeing with the majority? How else can the different aspects of a conversation be put before everyone?

Some people have right wing views, some left. Some people believe all that publicists say, some believe all that teenage girls say. Most can judge for themselves what is/has been going on.

Soutra Sun 04-May-14 13:14:42

Oh Nonu let's not even talk about "sides"!!!I think there have been too many outbursts of a disagreeable nature and am sorry that we cannot agree to disagree without feathers flying. It would be dull if we all had the same point of view and lively discussion is what makes GN special, but ................I hope we can continue to discuss without resorting to expletives or childish behaviour.

mcem Sun 04-May-14 14:07:51

Agree with Elegran's and Soutra's points. The fact that several people post views which coincide does not mean they're taking sides or forming posses! Will the next accusation involve active recruitment to these 'sides'? Conspiracy theories? By the way, the fact I've agreed with their posts does NOT mean we've formed a posse!
There will always be divergent views but what is important is HOW they are expressed.

Aka Sun 04-May-14 14:28:10

I think what Nonu is supporting is the fact that the shouldn't be 'a group speaking on here'. So in fact we're all singing off the same hymn sheet.

Aka Sun 04-May-14 14:29:24

Active recruitment? No you'd need a real control freak to go down that path and happily no one in GN fits that description.

Elegran Sun 04-May-14 14:37:15

That would take some hard work too! And a tough skin for the rebuffs.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 04-May-14 14:37:27

petra

How do I contact the powers that be. I had a post deleted some time ago because of my comments on a certain poster. There is a live thread at the moment where, in my opinion, there are some very offensive comments, and jet, they are allowed to be printed.
I think we all know who I'm talking about. Please respond GN.

Hi Petra, please do contact us either by reporting a post using the 'report' button or emailing us at [email protected]. The former would be easier if you're referring to a particular post/poster.

HollyDaze Sun 04-May-14 15:24:13

It is a sad fact that if you choose to post on forums, you need to ensure your skin is thick enough to take the numpties who are, generally, referred to as Keyboard Warriors.

Personally, I find it extremely amusing to think of those grans sitting at their computers hammering out offensive or angry comments over which, when all is said and done, is just conversation and it shows their inability to accept that others have a different point of view - a bit like children being told 'no'.

This is not a particularly friendly site and whether or not you feel there is a clique will depend upon whether you are inside the clique or outside. It can often be more fun to be on the outside.

Maybe the site should consider having an ignore feature so that if certain posters irritate you on a regular basis, you have the option not to see their posts.

Try not to take it too personally - sticks and stones and all that.

kittylester Sun 04-May-14 15:47:57

Holly - I would take issue with your comment that this is not a friendly site. Apart from the odd spat, Gransnet is really friendly IMO.

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 15:56:49

I agree kitty. Folks on here have helped me no end.

HollyDaze Sun 04-May-14 16:01:48

kittylester and KatyK - you are perfectly entitled to your views and opinions and you are pefectly entitled to take issue. I am equally entitled to my views based on my own personal experience of this site.

Judging by posts from members who 'take a break' from the angst shown on here or those who have simply stopped posting at all, I suspect I am not alone.

annsixty Sun 04-May-14 16:06:29

There have been many members taking time out or leaving the site while I have been a member but of course unless they tell us their reasons we don't know if they have had their feathers ruffled or simply got bored.

annodomini Sun 04-May-14 16:10:29

In the three years since Gransnet was founded, I have never thought of it as unfriendly. Abrasive, occasionally, but there has always been a strain of good will running through our discussions. And when a member is in distress it is inspiring to see the way everyone rallies round. It's also a great place for good advice and good companionship.

HollyDaze Sun 04-May-14 16:11:54

Feather ruffling or boredom is inevitable on every site - in that respect, GN is no different to any other forum.

KatyK Sun 04-May-14 16:12:14

Holly Yes I agree of course you are entitled to your view. I have seen many disputes on GN and have chosen never to comment on these posts. I just meant to say that my experience is of kindness and helpfulness.

HollyDaze Sun 04-May-14 16:18:45

In the three years since Gransnet was founded, I have never thought of it as unfriendly. Abrasive, occasionally, but there has always been a strain of good will running through our discussions. And when a member is in distress it is inspiring to see the way everyone rallies round. It's also a great place for good advice and good companionship

I guess there must be another reason then that I haven't thought of as to why much of what I have posted is ignored unless it's to be critical of what I've said. There are one or two on here that are very friendly but most seem indifferent to many posters. Thankfully, not all posters need to feel included on a daily basis but others can become distressed by it if they are looking for that companionship (and that will be seen by the amount of time they spend on here).

HollyDaze Sun 04-May-14 16:20:00

I am pleased that your experience of GN has been positive Katy - it is how it should be smile

janeainsworth Sun 04-May-14 16:56:06

Holly If you post remarks like 'This is not a particularly friendly site' you can hardly be surprised if people either disagree or just ignore you.
If you want friendly chat, go to the threads like Soops Kitchen, where I'm sure you would be welcomed, or start a thread on some bland topic like 'What are the most unusual scones you've ever made'.
Gransnet is just like real life. Sometimes people are friendly, sometimes they bicker. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's serious. Sometimes it's interesting, sometimes it's not.

janeainsworth Sun 04-May-14 16:56:46

And you tend to get out what you put in.

Ana Sun 04-May-14 17:00:47

To be fair, HollyDaze has made quite a few reasoned and polite posts since she joined, Jane - but there again, I'm pretty sure they haven't all been ignored or criticised. I'm sure a lot of members feel that way about their own offerings!

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 04-May-14 17:12:56

Me again...

Luckily we have a huge amount of heartwarming evidence that Gransnet is both friendly and supportive - but inevitably - as in "real" life, there are some people we get on with better than others, some who say things we don't like, some who do (and so on and so forth).

As with any group conversation, there may be times where there's a bit of friction and again, as in life, sometimes it's easier to take a break from that particular conversation, start a new one, or join in with something else.

Robust debate always is welcomed. However while we have very few rules, the ones we have are there for a reason and we ask people to respect them, as well as other gransnetters.

thatbags Sun 04-May-14 17:31:17

How does anyone know if their posts have been ignored? Perhaps the posts have been read and appreciated but nothing said in return. You can only be certain your post hasn't been ignored if someone replies directly to it (or you), but if you don't get a direct reply it doesn't necessarily mean a post has been ignored. Not all posts need responses and sometimes I read a thread but don't feel I have anything to add, so I don't. That's not ignoring; it's not posting.

I suppose if one defines ignored as not getting a reply it's a different matter. All down to personal interpretation yet again.

I have read quite a lot of your posts hollydaze. I honestly can't remember if I've replied to any of them directly.

grandma60 Sun 04-May-14 17:32:45

I would like to say that I have been with gransnet for less than a year and have already had lots of support and helpful comments from a lot of people. I have also been touched by the concern shown to others who have been in distress.
Also had a lot of laughs at some of the threads

I don't join in.the more Robust Discussions but that is my choice.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 17:44:51

angry I have had enough of this now!

Quoting Petra: "Re. My deleted post. All I asked was: are you really as nasty and hurtful as you seem."

That was a horrible thing to say, and you should n't be repeating a post that has been deleted.

I think GN should delete that repeated post as it is definitely against forum rules.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-May-14 17:46:14

Would be glad of a comment on that Kat since you have been bothered by this.