Gransnet forums

Chat

Multi-tasking

(15 Posts)
NanKate Fri 13-Jun-14 15:09:55

Ninathenana I don't actual read my book and Gransnet simultaneously but I do change between the two pretty seamlessly.

It all started because I have this impression that my OH thinks I am on Gransnet quite a lot and if I think he is looking at what I am doing I delve into my book quickly grin

This may be in my imagination and since another Gransnetter told me how to switch my computer keyboard onto silent, this has helped with my deviousness. wink

MiniMouse Fri 13-Jun-14 13:30:04

I remember reading somewhere that it's the different wiring that leads to men never being able to find something that's right in front of them on a shelf! It's still very hard not to be irritated when you're interrrupted to go and locate said 'lost' item!

tiggypiro Fri 13-Jun-14 13:26:45

Did anyone see a programme quite a few years ago called 'Why Men Don't Iron' ? It compared the brains of both sexes when given multi tasking jobs to do and females won hands down but when it came to 'male' tasks then men were much better. It seems our brains are wired differently and explains why generally females are nurses and men are engineers. Those men who are nurses were found to have a more female wired brain and visa versa.
Apologies for the very general generalisations !!

rosesarered Fri 13-Jun-14 11:51:58

That's right Ariadne men can do one thing well, but not multi-task. It's certainly a female thing, and let's face it, we sometimes have to, just to get things done.It is nice to not have to as much these days though, as Holly says, I really appreciate not rushing around most days.At the moment though, I am putting on sunscreen [going into the garden soon] looking on G'net and slurping a big glass of cold diet coke.smile

Ariadne Fri 13-Jun-14 11:10:48

Yes, I can do a crossword and watch TV too. But I hadn't really realised how much multi tasking I do until I cam out of hospital recently (the KNEE) and had to sit and tell Theseus what to do, for example cooking a simple meal, doing house work - all of which involve " doing this while that is happening but keeping an eye on..." he is not a domesticated person!

After the first week, a cleaner was brought in, and I sat in the kitchen taking him through cooking things step by step. He could honestly only cope with one thing (done very thoroughly, I have to say) at a time. Week two, I cooked, though DD brought round some lovely things too.

MiniMouse Fri 13-Jun-14 10:24:23

My OH is always making the comment, "Are you watching this or not?" in a very annoyed voice, as I sit doing crosswords etc whilst watching tv. He just doesn't get it that I can do both quite happily. I think he feels that, if I'm not concentrating (as he sees it) on the tv programme, then I'm not really participating in our mutual enjoyment of the programme!

berdie Fri 13-Jun-14 09:35:18

It is a female trait, I've watched my DGD2 watch TV, text her friends, read the paper, and talk to Nan at the same time. Phewsmile

HollyDaze Fri 13-Jun-14 09:11:43

I do think multi-tasking is more a female trait from what I've observed.

I used to be very good at it but since living on my own and not working, I no longer feel the need to run myself ragged trying to do several things at once. Now, I take my time and feel better for it.

rubysong Fri 13-Jun-14 09:10:26

Yes, I think it is a female thing. DH always impressed that I can knit, read and watch tv at the same time.

suebailey1 Fri 13-Jun-14 08:24:24

My mother taught me to 'whistle and ride' that is have several jobs on the go at once. I have always been a very good time manager- I see the day ahead and plan it for maximum result with minimum effort.

Iam64 Fri 13-Jun-14 08:23:56

I'm in bed, with my 2nd coffee, two dogs (both snoring happily) at my side. I'm catching up on GN, listening to Radio 4 and the noise of the family starting their day. I'm also counting my blessings (despite the chaos that's going on around me)

Stansgran Fri 13-Jun-14 08:20:24

Lying in bed,drinking tea, listening to BBC Radio Newcastle, hoping for an email,enjoying the warmth of my leccy blanket(it is June after all) and scanning last hour on gransnet.

kittylester Fri 13-Jun-14 08:08:15

I've just been drinking tea, watching Breakfast, listening to DH, catching up with GN, stroking the cat and cuddling DGD3 - a good start to the day. sunshine

ninathenana Fri 13-Jun-14 07:50:14

That's impressive NanKate I can't read and GN at the same time. But have been known to do the rest at the same time smile

NanKate Fri 13-Jun-14 07:11:51

I'm sitting up in bed drinking a cup of tea, browsing through Gransnet, my book is open as I am also reading my latest thriller, whilst prepping my nails for varnish.

Do you multi-task and is it a female trait?