Gransnet forums

Chat

Quick rant, if you don't mind.....

(16 Posts)
nanapug Thu 24-Jul-14 10:43:36

Why oh why, on the first day of the holidays, when I have my lovely GC to look after and play with, does my bl**dy back have to "go" again? I really don't like this old age. Wanted to do so much with them. Grrrrr.....

ninathenana Thu 24-Jul-14 11:38:12

Gentle (hug) nanapug life sucks sometimes doesn't it. I hope you feel much better soon.
There's 6wks shock for us all to fit in treats with DGC.

HollyDaze Thu 24-Jul-14 11:58:31

Annoying isn't it nanapug when something happens to spoil something you have been looking forward to sad

Mishap Thu 24-Jul-14 12:42:41

I know this scenario - dying to get stuck in with the little ones and the aging body lets you down. Take it steady and hopefully you will soon be enjoying them again.

thatbags Thu 24-Jul-14 18:17:58

Oh dear! Rotten luck, nanapug. I hope it's not painful for long flowers

KatyK Thu 24-Jul-14 18:44:48

Hope it's better soon nanapug. On my long awaited holiday to Santorini two weeks ago my back 'went'. I could hardly walk for three days sad

rubysong Thu 24-Jul-14 18:46:39

Robin McKenzie's book 'Treat your own back' has some very good exercises which could help you get back to normal. Try googling him and you may find them. Hope you are soon feeling better.

Tresco Thu 24-Jul-14 19:40:53

I worry about McKenzie's exercises. I followed them and my back got worse so i went to see an osteopath. He said McKenzie's book brought him more patients than anything else - promptly recommended the exact opposite movements and my back got better.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 24-Jul-14 19:48:37

Oh dear. sad

I'm no good at football anymore.

They still love you though nanapug. Hope it's better soon. flowers

rosequartz Thu 24-Jul-14 19:53:24

Hope it feels better soon. Must say I am feeling a bit [nowordforit] after all day looking after the GC and carrying several buckets of hot water outside to warm up the paddling pool. Run out of white wine as well.

hildajenniJ Thu 24-Jul-14 20:13:40

Oh dear nanapug I hope it's not serious. When I was Nursing my back used to "go" at times. My mother recommended bicycling on the floor as the best thing for strengthening. back muscles. (please ignore full stop ) You lie on the floor with your legs in the air and pedal. Build up the time slowly. You can feel the muscles working. I hope this is helpful, it always worked for me.

Coolgran65 Thu 24-Jul-14 20:22:49

lol.... We also carried out buckets of hot water to take the chill off the water in the paddling pool.. Can't remember anyone ever warming water-play for me.... !!!

annodomini Thu 24-Jul-14 20:36:54

For lower back spasms, pelvic thrusts (think Elvis) work for me.

nanapug Thu 24-Jul-14 20:40:39

Thank you every one for your kind messages and thoughtful ideas. Actually things have eased off a bit over the day and it is not as bad tonight. It is a long term injury after years of nursing type back, which many of you will relate to I am sure. I would love to do the air cycling thing but I need to be able to get down there first ;) Wish we had had hoists in those days. I can actually remember the patient I did it on and see the bed in the actual ward. It was April 1970......

Honeyrose1 Fri 25-Jul-14 09:08:45

I do so sympathise nanapug I have had a bad back on and off for years and it just seems to go for no reason now. I was just staring at a jar of olives in the supermarket and the price made my back go into spasm!
You could do the air cycling lying on the bed, or just lie on the bed keep your feet flat and raise your knees and slowly lower your knees to the left and then to the right. Hope that that makes sense. It certainly helps me.
Also try not to sit too long or stand too long but keep mobile but be gentle with yourself. I do hope you enjoy the time with GC.

rosequartz Fri 25-Jul-14 09:13:46

Perhaps that is why you are cool - gran [oh dear sorry].

Hope your back is improving nanapug