Gransnet forums

Chat

Another plane 'missing'

(17 Posts)
boheminan Thu 24-Jul-14 11:17:08

Another plane has lost radar contact…this time it's Air Algeria, with 116 people on board. To me there's something very odd going on 'up there', 'over there' or what???

ninathenana Thu 24-Jul-14 11:29:06

Oh no, I hadn't heard this news. Fingers crossed it's just a communications problem.

merlotgran Thu 24-Jul-14 11:33:10

These plane incidents are truly shocking and very worrying. sad

HollyDaze Thu 24-Jul-14 11:51:11

They are not sure yet what has happened:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28460625

Still very worrying though isn't it sad

Mishap Thu 24-Jul-14 12:45:09

Oh dear - let us hope that it has landed somewhere safe.

Personally I have nothing to do with planes.

Rowantree Thu 24-Jul-14 12:51:02

Mishap me neither. We never fly, though that's because DH has a flying phobia. Only now it doesn't look like a phobia so much. At least if a train crashes, you have some fighting chance of surviving.
Horrible sad

Aka Thu 24-Jul-14 13:21:01

Not another surely sad

merlotgran Thu 24-Jul-14 16:56:36

Apparently the plane has definitely crashed but I don't think there are any further details. sad

With two close family members flying for a living I hate the merest mention of any problems regarding flight safety. I can't watch any films, dramas or documentaries about plane crashes even though I am not a nervous flyer myself.

All our children and grandchildren will be flying off on various holidays in the next two weeks. I don't normally bat an eyelid but I bet I'm not the only granny who won't relax until their loved ones are all back safe and sound on home soil.

HildaW Thu 24-Jul-14 17:05:11

Hm....we fly to South Africa in a couple of weeks.........confused

Nelliemoser Thu 24-Jul-14 17:06:13

There were reports of bad visibility due to sandstorms in the area.

Brendawymms Thu 24-Jul-14 17:47:22

There has now been three plane crashes, Malaysian, Taiwan and now air Algeria so all will be well again. My husband was an airline pilot and he always said the plane crashes came in threes.
My brother was killed in a plane crash 60 years ago and I have never feared flying.

Tegan Thu 24-Jul-14 18:43:46

I'm doing my first long haul flight soon shock and I'm scared of flying [more a claustrophobia thing really; don't like lifts or cable cars either].

HildaW Thu 24-Jul-14 19:03:29

I'm a bit like that too Tegan. Also, I do not travel well - often ending up at the end of a flight with a severe headache I cannot shift and then suffer a bought of sickness. I sort of 'shut down' on a plane now, I just try to doze off and do not eat any of the meals, just sip water and do not watch the films, though listening to music or radio can take my mind off things. A friend of mine has invested in some expensive noise cancelling headphones that totally block out the cabin....I quite fancy that.
This latest flight is over night, so I shall be good and tired by the time I board, so I just hope I can sleep as much as possible.

Tegan Thu 24-Jul-14 19:13:23

I try not to sit by a window these days and pretend I'm sitting on a train. It freaked me out once travelling over the Alps and being what seemed to be incredibly close to the ground.....[gulp]...

Nonu Thu 24-Jul-14 19:27:56

TEGAN Do not worry your pretty little head. It will be fine !!

The thing we have to worry about is the damn extra checks we will have to go through, that is going to be a REAL bundle of laughs --NOT.

Still I am not going to think of it

tbsmile

Nonu Thu 24-Jul-14 19:30:02

Have a SMALL glass of wine, put your headsets on and RELAX.

Which carrier are you flying with ?

rosequartz Thu 24-Jul-14 20:00:49

Make sure you charge up your electronic devices fully before you go, Tegan! Otherwise, have a good time.

I am not keen on flying but would never see my DC if I didn't. I suppose I could take a very slow boat .....