Gransnet forums

Chat

UNICEF report Generation 2030 - Africa's unprecedented baby boom

(5 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 12-Aug-14 17:50:54

I was just listening to a discussion about this on one of the Africa channels:

"Africa, already the world’s second most populous continent with over 1 billion inhabitants, is experiencing a demographic shift unprecedented in its scale and swiftness. In the next 35 years, 1.8 billion babies will be born in Africa; the continent’s population will double in size; and its under-18 population will increase by two thirds to reach almost 1 billion".

The report says that the population of Africa will double by 2050.

data.unicef.org/gen2030/

Elegran Tue 12-Aug-14 19:07:05

A time bomb.

NanKate Wed 13-Aug-14 18:19:32

What aren't the Charities out there dispensing birth control ?

It's not the fault of the Africans, they need educating and enabling.

Our poor grandmothers had child after child whether they wanted them or not. We are in the 21st century for heaven's sake.

Grannyknot Wed 13-Aug-14 18:56:57

Well, I listened to a discussion about the report, and tried very hard to understand the reasons behind why this will happen, and (I think) it has to do with the impact of AIDS on the continent, and the population being so overwhelmingly young.

That report also says that Africa will have 40% of the planet's population by the end of this Century. It is currently at 15%. It all makes my mind boggle.

HollyDaze Wed 13-Aug-14 18:59:51

Sadly, rape is still a huge problem in S Africa and maybe many of these pregnancies are a result of that.

Encouraging women to go on the pill may help prevent unwanted pregnancies but will do little to help the contracting STDs.

So I agree that education is the way forward but whether the men will reconsider their actions is another matter; I suspect they already know they shouldn't be forcing a woman to have sex with them.