Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone listen to Radio4 Extra

(10 Posts)
littleflo Mon 25-Aug-14 10:37:56

When I was a little girl, I used to sleep with my Gran. She always had the home service on the radio while we are in bed. Now over 60 years later these programmes are still enjoyable. Does any one else remember them. Rays a Laugh. Whacko, Archie Andrews, Can't remember the others.

hildajenniJ Mon 25-Aug-14 13:23:49

Was Round the Horn on Radio four or on the Light Programme (Radio 2).I used to love that, particulaly Sid Rumpoe? and Julian and Sandy. We also liked Little Jimmy Clitheroe and the early days of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue but I think they might have been on Radio 2 also. I remember Listen with Mother on the wireless at my Granny's house though.

whitewave Mon 25-Aug-14 13:46:31

I listen to it a bit - usually when there is nothing on radio 4 I want to listen to.

My problem is that I always seem to come into episode 10 or 6 etc on a series I never get the start of anything which is annoying!

TriciaF Mon 25-Aug-14 14:30:34

I think it was last year they had the Goon Show on in the evenings. Which I always liked.
Especially this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOgsNX33byk
We might be like that soon!

feetlebaum Mon 25-Aug-14 15:18:18

They have been playing old ITMA recordings - rather suprisingly from the first series in 1939 - I didn't know any of those were still to be found.
The original ITMA charwoman, played by Maurice Denham, was 'Lola Tickle' - although I understand that in the stage version Tom would sometimes call her 'Tess'! Well - tickle my topknot with a tadpole!

chloe1984 Mon 25-Aug-14 15:42:11

I love Radio Four Extra and especially enjoy listening on the iplayer as it means I can really pick and choose. My favourites are the hour long dramas and the sit com type series like After Henry and Second Time Around. Although have been an avid listener to 'In the psychiatrist's chair.'

rosesarered Mon 25-Aug-14 20:12:24

Same as Whitewave .... when there is nothing I want on radio 4, and as she says it's always about the 6th episode of a book, but I listen to it anyway.There aren't that many comedy shows IMO that have stood the test of time, but some of Round The Horne still makes me laugh, and Hancocks Half Hour.I really like all the plays and audio books though.

whitewave Mon 25-Aug-14 20:15:34

I can remember listening to "Round the Horn" as a (probably) teenager and thinking it very rude

littleflo Mon 25-Aug-14 20:33:59

Thank you for all you responses. I wish they would put more plays on

feetlebaum Mon 25-Aug-14 21:17:24

@whitewave - only if you had that kind of mind... (!) (as indeed I do).