Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you drive?

(44 Posts)
whitewave Tue 21-Oct-14 17:55:24

I have noticed that some Grans are more inclined to jump on other peoples comments/opinions with sometimes somewhat sarcastic remarks etc.

I have a theory that these Grans may well be the ones that drive more aggressively - i.e. actions that you may never do/say if met with another face to face.

kittylester Wed 22-Oct-14 11:16:04

Actually, I said that flippantly because I do think they make one more aware of things around you. I was caught for a second time on a bit of road that had been changed from 60 down to 50, I think. It's a bit of road that I drive on a lot and I just wasn't thinking, although I knew that a local Mum, whose daughter had been killed there by a speeding driver, had campaigned to have the limit lowered.

I mentioned in the Kitchen recently that DD1's sister in law had ended up in the ditch having had to swerve to miss a speeding motorcyclist, who didn't stop. She was saved by her airbags inflating as she hit two telegraph poles. He has got away because he didn't stop. She will lose her No Claims Bonus, her car is a write off and her insurance will be heavily loaded as it is deemed to have been her fault. Doesn't seem right! angry

kittylester Wed 22-Oct-14 11:09:22

Yep Galen you can go on one every three years, I think, if you are very good!! grin

Galen Wed 22-Oct-14 11:00:37

I'm convinced I've become a Klingon, complete with the invisibility cloak. I seem to invisible to other drivers who suddenly pull out in front of me. This extends to the taxi I regularly use as well.

Ana Wed 22-Oct-14 11:00:26

Oh, they're all at it, Galen! grin

Galen Wed 22-Oct-14 10:56:57

Last speeding awareness course?

kittylester Wed 22-Oct-14 10:32:57

On my last speed awareness course there were two main groups - people like me and young people who appeared to think it was a mistake that they were there at all.

We were told that listening to rock music was not a good idea as it gets the adrenaline going, which rules out Meatloaf for me! The tutors could offer no opinion on the effect of singing 'The Wheels on the Bus' very loudly to stop DGC falling asleep!! grin

I love driving and consider myself to be a good driver even though I like to drive quite fast, if conditions allow!

Gagagran Wed 22-Oct-14 10:32:12

I had 12 lessons in February 1967 and passed my test first time. After that was when I learned to drive. We bought a car and I was designated the driver until DH passed his test (first time too) with the same instructor, some months later.

I had never driven at night or on motorways and reckon I was lucky that traffic was so much lighter then as I gradually became more skilled. I have driven many miles since then and never had an accident (touches wood quickly) but these days we don't do much mileage and DH usually drives if we are out together.

A good friend advised me not to let my driving skills go in case DH ever gets unable to drive and I think that is wise advice. I think I am a good and careful driver and I try not to exceed the speed limit but sympathise with those who get caught doing so when not concentrating fully.

Tegan Wed 22-Oct-14 10:15:16

My son says I indicate too much and too soon. I think they're now told to indicate less. What puzzles me is the number of times that someone overtakes me and yet, when we reach a junction or traffic lights a few miles further on, they're usually only just ahead of me [very occasionally two cars ahead of me] thus making the overtaking a bit pointless really.

ninathenana Wed 22-Oct-14 09:44:19

DD says I suffer from road rage grin
I admit to calling other drivers various names and I do say it out loud but it is said not shouted and I certainly wouldn't wind the window down and shout.
I will give way, I have a clean licence which I've held for 28yrs and have never had an accident even without blame. So I consider myself a good driver.

Charleygirl Wed 22-Oct-14 09:42:38

When I arrived home the other day from a trip to the supermarket, the first thing I did was check if my indicators were working and they were.

Nobody seemed to take a blind bit of notice of me on the road, yet I indicated each and every time I did a manoeuvre. Maybe it was the novelty of seeing working indicators that put them off their stroke.

Tegan Wed 22-Oct-14 09:33:34

I think we all have to be aware that, as we get older, our reaction times aren't as good and have to drive accordingly. I believe there's a high accident rate with middle aged men who take up motorcycling again because of that. I do despair, though, of seing people driving way over the speed limit as I can't help but feel they never get 'caught' and it's the careful drivers that just have a momentary lapse in concentration that get caught out.

hildajenniJ Wed 22-Oct-14 09:27:10

when I also had to do a speed awareness course a couple of years ago. I was surprised to find that the majority of the class were people of about my own age. Apparently we were all unfortunate to be flashed by the speed camera as in this area only 12% of the cameras are actually prosecuting at any one time.
My DH says I drive too fast, but I've not been caught out again. I think I'm a better driver now, than when I first passed my test.

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 09:17:57

Marmight grin

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Oct-14 08:31:24

(how many of us, when overtaking a cyclist doing just over 20 mph in a 30 mph restriction manage not to exceed 30?)

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Oct-14 08:28:21

I evidently drive too fast. But I did quite enjoy that nice course. We were all of a certain age - most knew how to use a starting handle - so learning how a modern car engine works remembering stopping distances and updating on the Highway Code (mini roundabouts etc) was useful. I'd like to say my driving has now improved but ........!

Ariadne Wed 22-Oct-14 08:25:50

I think I have gradually become a calmer driver a) since I retired and no longer had to hit the M20 and M25 every morning and evening and b) moved down here.

But the downside is that what with cataracts and joint replacements, I have had spells of not being able to drive! and that has knocked my confidence a lot...

Marmight Wed 22-Oct-14 08:01:20

jane grin
When DD1 was 2 my parents gave her a police pedal car. She couldn't master the art of pedalling forwards and exclaimed to my Mum " Gaggy, this b- - - - y car won't move" . blush's all round"

pompa Wed 22-Oct-14 06:04:56

My wife doesn't drive, so it's all down to me, and as time goes on, I dislike driving more and more, but living in a rural area, it is essential for most things we are interested in.

I am definitely slower and more relaxed about other road users, if they want to rush, let them.

Mamie Wed 22-Oct-14 05:10:05

I am also grateful that I don't have to drive all the time as I did when I was working. Here in France I have learnt to drive much more defensively, expect to find people coming round a bend on the wrong side because they are not used to meeting other cars on our country lanes and how to interpret where people are going because most French cars appear not to have been fitted with indicators. grin

janeainsworth Wed 22-Oct-14 03:21:36

Marmight you have reminded me of the story of the little boy who asked his mother,
'Mummy, where are the b*ggers today? We always see them when Daddy drives!'
Careful next time you're driving your DGCs grin

Marmight Tue 21-Oct-14 23:48:09

I am a confident driver. I love driving. I do a lot of mileage each year both here and abroad and have been told that passengers feel safe with me. Even late DH said he felt most comfortable with me driving rather than anyone else, which was praise indeed. I do feel I sometimes drive too fast, but I think no.1 priority is to be totally aware of other road users , look ahead, behind and all around and anticipate the unexpected at all times. I try to be polite - giving way and waving thanks etc. but I do quite a lot of shouting and swearing under my breath at idiot drivers 'what the heck did you do that for!', 'what a * * * * * plonker' 'come on, today would do' and other choice phrases blush. Basically, a car is a killing machine if not used appropriately. Not sure if this puts me in the aggressive GN poster category - I hope not!

harrigran Tue 21-Oct-14 23:37:31

How do I drive ? from the back seat grin

Icyalittle Tue 21-Oct-14 23:33:53

How do I drive? About a thousand miles a week less than I did before I retired 2 years ago. [huge relief emoticon]

numberplease Tue 21-Oct-14 23:26:44

I can`t drive, but if I did, I`d almost certainly be a hesitant and timid driver.

grannyactivist Tue 21-Oct-14 22:43:17

Hmm. I drive by sticking to the rules and trying to be aware of what other road users and pedestrians are doing. I did recently call the police about another driver when I was a passenger in our car recently. The car I reported was being driven dangerously immediately in front of us and I would hazard a guess that the driver was extremely inebriated as he was weaving from one side of the road to the other and several times he actually mounted the verge. Fortunately he was driving quite slowly, but we were very worried that an accident would happen.