Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you read the reviews before trying a new company?

(17 Posts)
FlicketyB Sat 01-Nov-14 23:49:46

Have just had a similar experience to Soutra's this evening.

We have a reasonable chain eatery on the outskirts of our village. We have used it every month or two since it opened about three years ago. To begin with it was excellent. However on our last visit several menu items were unavailable and service was slow, we put it down to an occasional glitch.

We went again this evening with DGD, aged 7,we were all tired after a busy day and went at 5.30 for a quick meal before an early night and the long journey home tomorrow. We went in, the place was nearly empty, the waitress listed, what were, almost certainly, the six most popular items on the menu and said they were unavailable. We ordered our meal and waited 15 minutes for the starters. At 6.30 we had still not received our main course, so we complained, I needn't go further.

When I got home and DGD was in bed I went on to Trip Advisor to post my own review - and read the others. If I had read them in advance we would have gone elsewhere. Our experience was typical.

harrigran Thu 30-Oct-14 23:24:22

It does pay to complain. I posted photo on M&S page when I was disgruntled, they replied within minutes. I see that particular florist is not updating her facebook page very often.

durhamjen Thu 30-Oct-14 23:12:39

You could put a picture on their facebook page. They would not like that.

Eloethan Thu 30-Oct-14 15:02:12

I've just read your post Soutra. So sorry to hear about your daughter's upsetting news.

On Wednesday I too had been trawling through the internet to try and order some flowers on my mum's behalf for her brother's 95th birthday. I eventually settled on Lilian Rose Flowers. I'd got so muddled looking at all the different companies, that I didn't even notice the rating.

It appears that Lilian Rose is a company that takes orders and passes them on to the florists in their group throughout the country.

I ordered an autumn arrangement. The cost was £28. My uncle lives in Newcastle.

The next day my uncle phoned my mum and thanked her for the "beautiful" flowers. He isn't known for his diplomacy, so I can only assume that the flowers were as he described them. It seems from what you say that this company provides a very hit and miss service and my uncle was just one of the lucky ones on this occasion.

In the circumstances you mention, it must be particularly upsetting that their service was so disappointing. I would certainly write to the company and make a very strong complaint about the florist that supplied the flowers and about the company's seeming lack of quality control.

grannyactivist Wed 29-Oct-14 22:47:07

Soutra what a disappointment for both you and your daughter - especially under the circumstances. I think you deserve a bouquet of GN flowers
I almost always read reviews for everything - whether it's a purchase or a service. I always try to give a balanced review myself too.
A find that a negative posting to a FB page usually results in a very quick settlement of disputes.
https://www.facebook.com/lillianroseflowersuk

Soutra Wed 29-Oct-14 21:14:59

The good firms are worth knowing about - bad service deservrs to be named and shamed

alex57currie Wed 29-Oct-14 21:12:46

I read reviews on everything now. Wasted too much money in the past. From companies I use right down to support knickers-lol. Must say, it's proved much more successful. I now also leave feedback. Soutra, hope all turns out well with your DD.

annodomini Wed 29-Oct-14 20:49:50

I was recommended to use a flower farm in Cornwall which sends flowers by post and results so far have been very good. This autumn I sent freesias and the recipients were delighted.

Coolgran65 Wed 29-Oct-14 20:24:27

I send flowers from UK to west coast USA several times a year and use one of their USA local florists. I initially located them on-line and checked the reviews and happily their delivery was beautiful. They have now been used several times and they even ask for a guideline for my preference of blooms/colour within a given price range.

With regard to reviews I always always check reviews, for every company I go to use I will check the reviews. Actual product reviews are checked also if possible.

I'm sorry OP had such a bad experience, I'd be mad. Wouldn't be the first time we've complained to a florist and emailed a picture of poor flowers in bad condition.

FlicketyB Wed 29-Oct-14 19:57:19

I went to a local florist in person to arrange to send flowers to an uncle on his 80th birthday. He was adamant that he did not want any presents but I thought these would be a pleasant surprise and gone within 10 days. No delivery was made and when I went back to the shop to find out what had happened they checked and said they had lost the order, no apology, they didn't really seem bothered, just gave me my money back. I haven't used them since. Now. I always use John Lewis.

Charleygirl Wed 29-Oct-14 18:49:17

I have used M&S and the service has been excellent.

GillT57 Wed 29-Oct-14 17:56:21

Shocking service. On the odd occasions that I send flowers I have used Next and they have never let me down. Like you I have tried to use local florists but it doesnt always work as you wish.

hildajenniJ Wed 29-Oct-14 17:42:31

It is years since I ordered flowers. I used Interflora as I was in Cumbria and my Aunt and Uncle were in London. The flowers were delivered the next day and filled my Aunt's flat, she received so many that she had to put some of them in the bath. She was delighted. They were sent as a thank you for their hospitality as my sister and I stayed with them for the first week of Wimbledon.
Any other times I have always collected the flowers personally.

Mishap Wed 29-Oct-14 16:55:26

I often look at reviews and sometimes they can be really helpful particularly about details like size etc. - I suppose the only worry is that they are not very balanced, because it is likely to be disgruntled people who will take the trouble to post their views.

I sometimes feel guilty when I delete an email inviting me to review an item, as I rely on others taking the trouble to do so. Perhaps I will turn over a new leaf in that regard.

Soutra Wed 29-Oct-14 16:50:35

smile Thank you purpledaffodil!!

Purpledaffodil Wed 29-Oct-14 16:37:30

That is absolutely shocking Soutra. I have googled companies in the past before ordering stuff but would probably not have done in this case as it showed a local shop. That said, my parents had a run in with a local florist once who took an Interflora order and payment for funeral flowers and never placed the order. The suspicion was they hoped nobody would check under those circumstances. You do not need this sort of extra hassle in these stressful times so flowers to you. And not a bunch of unsatisfactory tulips either.

Soutra Wed 29-Oct-14 16:26:26

On Saturday I wanted to send flowers to DD who was still reeling from the shock of being told there was a 1 in 2 chance her baby has Downs. Rather than use M&S/ Waitrose/ Interflora I thought I would find and support a local florist in her part of London. So I googled and came up with Lillian Rose Flowers and a map even showed a shop just 3 streets away from their house. I rang them up ordering a big hand tied bunch of cheerful gerberas and germinis with same day delivery for £38 . I was asked for and gave cobtact numbers in case of problems and sat back and waited.
Nothing had arrived by Monday, she checked with neighbours and I started on a round of phone calls and emails to chase up these flowers. Eventually a bunch of flowersxwas delivered that night at 8 o clock and DD sent a text to rhank me with a pic of how SIL had arranged them.
My £38 had bought a bunch of tulips nice enough, but hardly seasonal and £38???
I am in communication (?) wirh the company who are NOT a local florist but use one and the buck and blame are being passed between the two like a rugby ball.
My point? Well I have since read the onlne reviews for this company and seen their * rating- 1.8 our of 5. Nuff said. If I had seen those I would not have touched them with a barge pole. Lillian Rose Flowers - you have been warned. angry