Gransnet forums

Chat

Phone pestering

(22 Posts)
AlieOxon Wed 19-Nov-14 16:11:51

Not sure this is the right place, but:
I am getting a series of annoying phone calls from two 01709 numbers - looked them up and it seems to be Vodaphone. Adverts.
I have not answered.
Why do they want to annoy someone who is already a customer?

Sent a message to each number but it hasn't stopped them.
Anyone solved this?

Ana Wed 19-Nov-14 16:23:28

You could always answer the call next time, and tell them in no uncertain terms that you do not wish them to phone you again or you'll take your custom elsewhere!

FlicketyB Wed 19-Nov-14 17:13:14

Assuming you are signed up for the Telephone Preference Service, ring them up and complain - unless you are already a Vodaphone customer in which case letter to the Chairman at their Newbury HQ will do it.

soontobe Wed 19-Nov-14 17:20:04

Are you sure that they are not trying to offer you a better deal?
[disclaimer, I know nothing about vodaphone]

Ana Wed 19-Nov-14 17:39:04

Exactly. No point complaining to the Chairman if you have no idea what the calls are about!

chloe1984 Wed 19-Nov-14 17:54:14

Not had any calls from Vodaphone but all this week we have been plagued by calls offering us financial planning advice, PPI refunds,accident compensation and also from O2 .We are signed up with the telephone preference service and also have number barring on our phone as quick as we enter the number to bar it they seem to use another. On Monday we had around 12 calls it is driving me crazy. I find some of the callers extremely intrusive and almost rude when you tell them you are just not interested one today actually said I should not take my investments / finances so lightly as it was not a laughing matter ,I had told him I didn't have any money or savings. (he sounded young enough to be my Grandson)

harrigran Wed 19-Nov-14 18:02:37

Our phone has 50 barred numbers and no room for any more and they still keep coming. A good day is seven calls none of which get answered. TPS can not prevent because they redirect through international exchanges. I have said many times that I will vote for the political party that will actually stop this telephone harassment. I am seriously considering disconnecting house phone angry

AlieOxon Wed 19-Nov-14 18:10:01

You know what - I don't CARE if they think they can offer a better deal. I get free calls to my daughter for £10 a month, and I wouldn't change from that! It's a lifeline.
NB....write to chairman.

AlieOxon Wed 19-Nov-14 18:12:18

I get messages too,but haven't stopped them, as I keep deleting them before I note the number to send STOP to!
NB - do it next time!

Tegan Wed 19-Nov-14 18:54:00

I nodded off on the sofa this afternoon [having done an early school run]. Was woken up by a call from someone asking for my ex husband. Pointed out that he wasn't here but could they tell me what it was about. They said he was eligible for a free hearing test. I told them he'd actually left me 14 years ago. At least they apologised confused.

AlieOxon Wed 19-Nov-14 19:41:09

I loathe being advertised at!
It feels like a constant battering of being told I should want this, need that, this is a MUST HAVE.....

Greenfinch Wed 19-Nov-14 19:49:22

We keep getting calls from numbers starting with 002075. Does anyone know where they come from ?

harrigran Wed 19-Nov-14 23:32:22

This number could be the computer scam where they tell you that you have a problem and they will fix it. Somebody thought the number was possibly an Egyptian one.

numberplease Wed 19-Nov-14 23:43:52

I keep getting calls from someone called Jessica something, says she`s had information that someone here has been in an accident. I suppose if they ring enough people they`ll find an accident victim or two.

Greenfinch Thu 20-Nov-14 07:41:29

I'll try to answer it next time and see. Thanks harrigran

lefthanded Thu 20-Nov-14 07:55:40

I've programmed my mobile to ring silent for any number that is not in my contact list. I get dozens of calls most days, but I find that it is easy to ignore them if I don't hear the phone ring.

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Nov-14 08:08:42

I no longer leap up to answer the phone. The answer phone cuts in after five rings. If it's important they'll ring again or leave a message. In the evenings I keep it by me and if it's that 002075, out of area or international I pick up and hang up straight away. Unless I feel like a chat, then I ask about the weather and how their family is - then they hang up.

Ariadne Thu 20-Nov-14 10:18:50

Fingers crossed, but we have had very few of these phone calls since we came down here and moved phone and broadband to Sky (was Virgin and BT in Kent)
Wonder why this is..?

harrigran Thu 20-Nov-14 12:04:30

We have had five calls already today, they started bang on 9 am. We are with BT and DH is going to write to them and tell them that if they don't stop these scammers we are going to change our phone and broadband. If people started leaving in droves then it would hit them where it hurts. They do have the power to stop it but they won't because it is lucrative.

harrigran Thu 20-Nov-14 19:24:57

We have had eleven nuisance calls today, ambulance chasers, PPIs, solar panels, new boilers and one telling me that we are not getting the best deal from electricity company. Barred numbers are also logged but thankfully the phone does not ring when these call angry

stayanotherday Mon 24-Nov-14 21:12:12

It is annoying. I answer and say she's gone away!

FlicketyB Tue 25-Nov-14 21:20:39

I once told a caller from a boiler room selling dud shares that DH was dead, He had died that morning. That got rid of them. I was hoping it meant they would take him off their list.

DH is in fact alive and in excellent health but I think the tactic worked because we haven't had any boiler room calls for some time hmm