Gransnet forums

Chat

IS IT A MAN THING?

(8 Posts)
PRINTMISS Fri 05-Dec-14 15:29:27

I was chatting to a friend today, and we were talking about the various household jobs the men help with (not a lot in my case), and 'ironing' came up as a topic. My friends' husband does all their ironing, mine will do his own and just leave my bits and pieces, because he is 'not sure' doesn't seem to realise a blouse is like a shirt. We then went on to washing up, her husband is the same as mine ALWAYS leaves just one item on the draining board - NEVER clears all the wiping up away. So, is this a man thing?

ninathenana Fri 05-Dec-14 16:20:25

We have a dishwasher but the few bits that can't go in the washer DH will always leave in the drainer. He thinks the T-towel is to wipe his hands on angry

Greyduster Fri 05-Dec-14 16:40:07

DH doesn't iron, although having been a soldier for 22 years, and frequently away from home, he had to be pretty good at it. He frequently does a better job of cleaning the kitchen than i do but he's hopeless at filling the dishwasher - crams everything in anywhere and then wonders why it doesn't come out clean! But I'm grateful for small mercies!

loopylou Fri 05-Dec-14 17:02:58

DH refused to let me buy a dishwasher so has done ALL the washing up for past 5 years, and says he does it much better than me (a not arguing with him!)
Other than that zilch else...... never sees dust, muddle etc but not sure if that's a good thing or not. Not even sure he knows what an iron is [ hmm]

glammanana Fri 05-Dec-14 17:28:02

DH has always been able to iron much better than I do he looked after his own ironing after his mum died when he was still at school,he ironed all our DCs school uniforms every Saturday night and polished their shoes every night,he still does most of the ironing now all he leaves is flimsy blouses for me to do.
Don't leave your plate for too long on the table or he will have it hijacked and washed before you can blink and he does a mean job with the bathroom tiles,he really is a godsend.

numberplease Fri 05-Dec-14 17:56:13

Mine knows exactly what everything`s for, just doesn`t use them. He dries the pots every now and again, grumbling about how many there are, takes the wheelie bin out on a Wednesday night, but doesn`t bring it back on Thursday morning, and changes the occasional lightbulb. But he thinks he`s hard done by!

rosequartz Fri 05-Dec-14 18:22:09

DH washes up but always leaves the dirty water in the bowl.

Oops, I shouldn't have posted that, having started another thread about his non-cooking skills ......

Greyduster Fri 05-Dec-14 20:37:07

When we had our new kitchen in this summer, DH said why didn't i have one of these induction hobs, the kids seem to think they're the bees knees. Now we have one, he has the perfect excuse not to have to cook anything because "i can't get the hang of the hob - it's too complicated!"