Chat

In praise of our OHs

(22 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 07-Dec-14 18:29:56

He should be so lucky!! grin

merlotgran Sun 07-Dec-14 18:29:30

Yikes! Lona. Just spotted the missing word. shock

glammanana Sun 07-Dec-14 15:48:24

I can't manage without him he is a star,never tells me I'm wrong even when I know I am, always there with support whenever I need it all in all I am very lucky indeed,he has always been the same even when the Dcs where young he was always hands on,purr-fect in every way.

harrigran Sun 07-Dec-14 12:45:12

Can't complain, he is very good at DIY and can sort any problem that arises. He drives me everywhere I want to be without moaning and will go shopping with me even if he stands at the end of aisles rather than alongside tchgrin

pompa Sun 07-Dec-14 12:06:51

Mrs. P of course smile

Lona Sun 07-Dec-14 11:34:50

merlot I love your last sentence!!! grin wink

Lona Sun 07-Dec-14 11:33:44

My friends are my emotional saviours and have been for thirty odd years, bless 'em all.
My ds is just round the corner for emergencies and my dd was too but now I'm her saviour!
I have also found, via ds, a lovely handyman, who will do all those little jobs that I can't do ( anno if you need him?)

merlotgran Sat 06-Dec-14 16:28:39

DH is an absolute star! He has not only supported me through a particularly difficult six months but when DD found herself on the verge of being homeless he did all the groundworks for the mobile home we bought, fixed her car and is always on hand with his DIY talents. Sometimes I worry that he's pushing himself too hard physically but this place would grind to a halt without him.

He is stubborn, outspoken (he could teach Prince Philip a thing or two) and would happily vote for UKIP he he thought it would wind me up!!

He's not my saviour - there are days when he drives me to distraction but we are a good team and he puts up me. grin

Marmight Sat 06-Dec-14 14:26:00

Sewsilver grin

kittylester Sat 06-Dec-14 14:18:01

Nina, I think it might be you in your family!! flowers

DH is my rock too and I dread finding myself without him. Although, yesterday afternoon he really got on my nerves! confused

vampirequeen Sat 06-Dec-14 14:05:06

DH thought about setting up a handyman business called 'Call Dad'. He wouldn't do anything too technical but would do all those little jobs that you don't want to call/pay a professional for but you can't do yourself. You know the sort of thing....fix the fence, put up a shelf...little DIY things.

Sewsilver Sat 06-Dec-14 14:00:03

Ooh Marmight do you lend him out??

Mishap Sat 06-Dec-14 13:28:44

My OH has seen me through some very tough times this year and has understood the un-understandable of depression with patience and determination. And I am privileged to have 3 DDs who have been there with me every step of the way - and wonderful neighbours and friends. Life has been tough this year, but I an truly blessed with good peple around me.

I hope that we on Gnet can be those good people for those who, through no fault of their own, are not as blessed.

grannyactivist Sat 06-Dec-14 13:22:57

Marmight it's just knowing that there's someone you can call to help out with the sorts of things you mention that's a relief isn't it? Glad to hear you've got that sorted - and yes, there may have been a hmm if you hadn't mentioned he's gay. grin

My Wonderful Man is the quintessential DIYer (even as I write he's on the roof of the extension sorting something out). His temperament and character are very different from mine, but I think we complement each other because of it; sort of two halves of a whole. I would never describe him as my saviour, but he is my rock and still my dearest and closest friend. [warm fuzzies emoticon]

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Dec-14 13:18:07

Oh, I like the sound of a pet gay italian teacher saviour. smile

Marmight Sat 06-Dec-14 13:10:28

I don't, sadly, have an OH any more so mostly I just have to get on with it, but I do have Denis, my (gay, just in case you had any romantic ideas!) Italian teacher who is more than happy to trot round and sort out my d.i.y. problems. Just this week he fixed my new smoke alarm to the ceiling and replaced a halogen bulb which was too high for me to reach even on a ladder. I do miss having an at-home saviour, but not having one has made me stronger and I find I am able to do stuff which I never imagined I could do in a million years.....

annodomini Sat 06-Dec-14 12:05:03

I can lean on my sisters and my sons, but when it comes down to it, I have to be my own saviour.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 06-Dec-14 12:00:18

I haven't got any one particular saviour. I just shout for anyone handy. Sometimes it does have to be me.

vampirequeen Sat 06-Dec-14 11:56:25

DH is my support and carer as well as my lover. I'd be lost without him.

Nelliemoser Sat 06-Dec-14 11:06:17

Gransnet is my saviour, OH is worse than useless in anything emotional he just wont talk about it. He would do the ferrying around and some practical stuff but to discuss any worries I might have he just does not want to know. angry sad

ninathenana Sat 06-Dec-14 10:59:19

Glad things have improved for you littleflo

Who has been your saviour and why? Err..............

littleflo Sat 06-Dec-14 10:52:07

Since 2012 I have had some very difficult things to deal with. The declining health of my mother and step father. Several spells of weeks spent visiting them in hospital, dealing with social services and financial institutions. At times it seemed never ending. The whole thing is so exhausting. During that time I often felt how much harder it would have been had I not had someone at home keeping the wheels turning, listening to me complaining and giving me a shoulder to cry on. Not twice as hard, but ten times harder.

As we come to the end of this year, things are much easier to cope with and I am so grateful for all I have.

I would love to hear who has been your savour this year and why.