Gransnet forums

Chat

So, how many do you recognize?

(28 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 12-Dec-14 23:58:15

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2872004/Jagger-Cilla-snapshot-surprisingly-smartly-dressed-dawn-pop-Stars-pose-rehearsals-1964-s-Ready-Steady-Rave-Mad-Mod-Ball.html

I don't know about smartly dressed, they all look positively middle aged compared to today's pop stars especially Cilla Black (scroll down a bit)

Riverwalk Sat 13-Dec-14 18:15:05

Well I suppose he has changed ..... after all it's 50 years ago! tchshock

rosequartz Sat 13-Dec-14 17:44:21

Let's face it, he has changed a bit river tchshock What you might call a 'lived-in' face

thatbags Sat 13-Dec-14 17:26:06

You'd better believe it, river! grin Just went back to have another look.... nope.

KatyK Sat 13-Dec-14 16:35:00

merlot tchgrin I I saw the Stones twice too joanna. Once at the Odeon cinema in Birmingham and once at Birmingham Town Hall. They were never my favourites as I was a Beatles gal but I went along with a friend who paid for me to go. At the Odeon show Brian Jones did a wee in a coke bottle! shock Just thought I'd throw that in !

glammanana Sat 13-Dec-14 16:27:11

I did quite well in recognizing most of them after a few hints from OH who knew them all except Sounds Incorp & The Dakotas ,so he must have led a dull life having time in the 60s to remember them tchwink I was too busy going in and out of The Cavern when ever I could and pretending I wasn't 15.tchgrin

joannapiano Sat 13-Dec-14 15:02:25

That was the year I served Mick Jagger when he came into the record shop where I had a Saturday job. I can't remember what he bought, but I really fancied him! He looked very boyish and had on the same type of clothes in the photo.I was a big fan of the Stones and saw them in concert twice. (Couldn't hear them as everyone, me included, was screaming so loudly.) They were supported in the gigs by The Searchers, whom I found very dull.
Much prefer Paul Jones now!

rosequartz Sat 13-Dec-14 14:03:35

I recognize quite a lot of them. Must have had a misspent youth tchgrin

(I did like classical music as well, played a bit and one of my male schoolfriends was in the National Youth Orchestra but I never made it)

rosequartz Sat 13-Dec-14 13:58:21

Is that Peter and Gordon on the right at the front?
I saw them once, they were terrible.

I loved Paul Jones.

I wish I was as fit now as Jagger is, never mind when I'm his age.
but you wouldn't want to look like him, crun

Mishap Sat 13-Dec-14 13:52:30

Kathy Kirby - that's a blast from the past. My Dad used to openly lust after her and called her Kathy Curvy!

crun Sat 13-Dec-14 13:39:04

I wish I was as fit now as Jagger is, never mind when I'm his age.

janerowena Sat 13-Dec-14 13:20:57

I managed to pick out Mick Jagger and Cilla Black. Only because I looked very hard! All dressed up in their Sunday best.

whenim64 Sat 13-Dec-14 13:09:47

1964 was a magical year. I was 16 and loved pop music, especially the Stones. Cathy McGowan's hair and fashion were the benchmark for me and my friends, who were Mods. I can name nearly half of that group, but some are difficult to recognise.

durhamjen Sat 13-Dec-14 12:31:18

1964 was the year I met my husband, so I remember lots about it.

Riverwalk Sat 13-Dec-14 12:15:24

Can't believe you didn't recognise Mick Jagger bags tchshock

merlotgran Sat 13-Dec-14 11:51:25

That's OK, KatyK I put this on late last night after a few wine

I'd forgotten all about it this morning so I posted on your's tchgrin

KatyK Sat 13-Dec-14 10:51:17

I started another thread on this ! Doh!

I recognised the obvious ones, Stones, Cilla also Kenny Lynch, The Searchers, one of the Fourmost, Freddie Garrity and more smile I loved it all.

annodomini Sat 13-Dec-14 09:45:08

I usually listened to Radio Luxembourg on Sunday night so that I would know what my pupils were talking about the next morning. I rarely saw the stars, so wouldn't have recognised them then and certainly not now. Apart from Cilla, of course.

thatbags Sat 13-Dec-14 09:44:02

I wonder if I'm the only one who didn't recognise any of them (and doesn't care either!). I was only eight for most of 1964 and that may have been the first year we had a telly. Never was into pop culture much though. tchsmile

pompa Sat 13-Dec-14 09:34:24

Riverwalk, if you go down the page it says what they are doing now and it they are alive.

AlieOxon Sat 13-Dec-14 09:15:55

Realised I rarely SAW the pop stars, as no TV for a while.....and very busy with small babies......
What a lot of men, and few women.

Kiora Sat 13-Dec-14 08:45:38

Thanks for that. Recognised many and remembered what they sang word for word. I shall be humming 'up on the roof' all day. Loved Kenny lynchs version. smile

Riverwalk Sat 13-Dec-14 08:17:19

Billy J Kramer.

Is that Ringo on the far right of the top row .... whoever he is hope he's not giving a Nazi salute!

I wonder how many are still alive hmm

pompa Sat 13-Dec-14 07:09:48

Fascinating photo, Linda and I spent ages reminiscing.

kittylester Sat 13-Dec-14 06:49:42

I love Paul Jones Jen and one of the 'highlights' of my teenage years was being dragged down from the drainpipe I was climbing to try to get to him by a very fishy policeman. Manfred Mann were top of the bill at the Gaumont in Derby circa 1964. Those were the days! grin.

durhamjen Sat 13-Dec-14 00:30:54

Hadn't realised Paul Jones was so tall. It said he tours with the Manfreds, but I see him in the Blues Band.
I recognised Kathy Kirby! That's worrying.
I have a long list of people that should be there but aren't.