Gransnet forums

Chat

Has becoming older changed you?

(45 Posts)
Eloethan Mon 22-Dec-14 00:53:38

I don't mean, of course, how you look or things like mobility.

I mean - do you react differently now to some things than you would have done when you were younger?

Other than my own children, I was never particularly interested in toddlers or young children. Now, I find them so adorable, funny and interesting.

Even with my own children, I found it difficult to play with them, whereas now I enjoy playing with my grandchildren. It makes me feel sad to think of what we both missed out on.

rosequartz Tue 24-Mar-15 15:08:34

This tab has a mind of its own!

rosequartz Tue 24-Mar-15 15:07:52

That's a good attitude, soon.

It is one I am still learning - and getting therem 7hope!

I have so much more confidence now than when I was young. I think I acquired more confidence when I had DC and learned to speak up for myself and them until they were old enough to do it for themselves.

soontobe Tue 24-Mar-15 11:42:42

If someone told me off, or spoke unnecessarily harshly, it would bother me for a while.

Now, I just think that it is the other person's problem, and move on.

whitewave Tue 24-Mar-15 11:12:07

I have far more confidence than I ever had when younger. anno I also agree with you but I do so enjoy a good mental work out and debate.

I worry less about some things but given my age I also think the worse if something seems medically wrong.
On the whole I haven't minded being any age really it is just that time is whizzing past and I have less left and given that I enjoy life that is annoying.

gillybob Tue 24-Mar-15 10:31:25

Although Being older has certainly changed me I woukd not say it was for the better. I remember (way back) being funny, witty, a bit silly and generally happy. These days I have more worries than I ever had and less freedom than ever had when I was younger. So to sum it up so far, I would say being older sucks!

annodomini Mon 23-Mar-15 22:23:08

I don't bother to argue these days, having finally worked out that I never changed anyone's mind with my faultless logic.

AshTree Mon 23-Mar-15 21:39:54

Hmm, perhaps I've just shown my own ignorance in understanding the instructions for italicising grin

AshTree Mon 23-Mar-15 21:38:07

I have become more tolerant of some things and more intolerant of others. People rarely provoke my temper these days as they once did. But I am very intolerant of ignorance "can you confirm your address for me?" "yes, tell me what address you have for me and I'll confirm or otherwise"^; absurd marketing ^labels with "Ideal for barbecues!" on every pack of sausages and beef burgers as soon as there's a sniff of summer. "For sharing" on super-sized packs of sweets/treats etc. What? You think I can't work that out myself?

And don't get me started on TV adverts depicting anyone over 60 as complete half-wits (Specsavers roller coaster ad anyone?)

Hmm, perhaps I've become a GOW hmm

Worthit Sat 28-Feb-15 19:27:17

I seem to encounter so many isms as I have become older. Sexism, classism, genderism, fashionism, richism, poorism, raceism, just add an ism to anything now and your probably correct that, yes, it exists.
The one which is definitely rubbing me up the wrong way recently is 'AGEISM'. I see it in shops, doctors surgeries, workplaces, buses, neighbours, pubs, you name it.
Don't rile me young uns, you don't know who you're dealing with (howz that)?

pompa Mon 29-Dec-14 17:56:30

Only just spotted this thread.

Not good for me.
I'm
Grumpier
Intolerant of fools
Short tempered
Don't like change

not to mention (you said not to mention it)

Over weight
wrinkly
deaf
knackered
past it
senile

Apart from that I'm fine smile

Hellsgrandad Mon 29-Dec-14 17:25:48

Mishap - I'm very grateful for my health. I've survived ulcerative colitis, a pulmonary embolism and kidney cancer. I'm now minus one kidney. All of these things are part of ageing, which, as I said, is compulsory, but where possible, and I stress where possible they should be accepted, dealt with as best as possible and put aside.
Life occasionally deals us a bad hand but we all have it in us to rise above it - just ask Stephen Hawkins.

NfkDumpling Mon 29-Dec-14 17:13:48

Run upstairs? How wonderful! When I'm standing at the bottom I sometimes actually, really, honestly believe I can. Then I heave myself up the first step!

Mishap Mon 29-Dec-14 17:02:02

Hellsgrandad - be grateful for your health - very very grateful.

I saw myself as being like you, but fate had other ideas.

rosesarered Mon 29-Dec-14 17:00:12

Although we are the same person in many ways [that we used to be when young] there are also lots of different versions of ourself as well as we go from youth to middle age to old and then elderly.So we do think differently at different ages.If we don't..... then we haven't learned anything.

Hellsgrandad Mon 29-Dec-14 16:26:36

Hey - What's ageing then? I agree that at 78 I've lost my hair and my skin's started to head south but I still run upstairs and think of myself as about twentyfive.
Someone wiser than me once said that getting old is compulsory but being old is optional. For the last 62 years my hobby has been motorbikes and I intend to ride my bike to London to collect my 100th birthday card from whoever happens to be in charge at the time at Buckingham Palace.
I reckon that I'm only about half way round this great roller coaster ride called life and I would ask everyone to look for the child within - he or she is still there in most of us just waiting to be let out.

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Dec-14 18:09:27

I've changed a lot I think. More of everything. Calmer, more accepting, sillier, more forgetful, more likely to speak my mind and much, much bossier.

Mishap Tue 23-Dec-14 17:47:33

I have become acutely conscious of the passage of time and have to bite my tongue from constantly wanting to tell my DDs that time is finite and not to waste too much of it while they are still fit doing things they do not really want to do. I look back and wish I had valued my health whilst I had it! - I just took it for granted.

So....some regrets with age I guess, but I am sure that is inevitable to some degree.

Nonnie Tue 23-Dec-14 17:00:48

All our experiences change us, that is why personality testing is only accurate for 18-24 months. Therefore the older we are the more we will have changed

Nonu Tue 23-Dec-14 16:28:43

Not forgetting of course, DG/C to kiss and hug![a lot]
x

Nonu Tue 23-Dec-14 16:25:33

Jingle18.58 , 22/12.

Will have go on the back burner till we are safe and sound into the New Year, Turkeys to cook , pressies to unwrap, Champagne to drink don"tcha know !!!!!!!!!!

tchsmile

KatyK Tue 23-Dec-14 15:33:47

I think I am more sympathetic and understanding of other people's problems than I used to be. Life has wiped the floor with me in many ways since childhood (not looking for sympathy, just saying). Unfortunately I have also become a bit bitter (I am working on it!). I, like jane says above, find myself more interested in people who have had a tough time than those who appear to 'sail' through life. I suppose I find them kindred spirits.

ffinnochio Tue 23-Dec-14 11:10:55

I've been changing ever since I was born. It's the way of things. I'll go on changing until I die.

glammanana Tue 23-Dec-14 09:10:36

I've found that I am now much more tolerant in every way since I gave up working full time,I was never stressed as such just tired of trying to fit everything into a working week combined with motorway driving to my workplace.Now I work when I want and don't feel obliged to take booking if I don't want too.
Children I find more interesting as they get older and I adore my now grownup DGCs,it's so rewarding to see how they have turned out as young people.
I never get stressed and if I don't like the way a conversation is going I think nothing of walking away I keep my own council very well now where as before I felt that I had to be a people pleaser for some reason unknown to me.

janerowena Mon 22-Dec-14 21:51:03

I am far more laid back and make fewer snap judgements about people. I have seen how awful life can be, how a family can lose everything overnight, how a person can be dealt a dreadful hand and become embittered, how others can be drastically changed by their circumstances. How some people can become better people after living through a disaster, how others just fade away. Watching people over the years has made me more interested in those who have had a tough time than in those who have had an easy life. I suppose I am far more interested in people generally.

but NOT toddlers. I loved toddlers when I had mine, but now I don't have the patience, apart from with my own DGCs. They whine, grizzle and have permanently runny noses. And often need accompanying to the loo. Me in 30 years' time, basically.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 22-Dec-14 18:58:00

Nonu, do tell us about the remaining 5%. tchsmile