Gransnet forums

Chat

The Co-op Bank strikes again or a Christmas miracle

(13 Posts)
FarNorth Mon 22-Dec-14 23:34:42

That's the spirit Elegran. Let him know that he crosses a granny at his peril. tchgrin

Elegran Mon 22-Dec-14 14:29:25

I have one or two threats in hand - bad publicity, trading standards, emailing Marshalls (apparently he is their official local tradesman) calling in someone else and sending him the bill (but that could take time) I shall deploy them one at a time for maximum effect.

FarNorth Mon 22-Dec-14 14:07:13

Well done, vampirequeen. Good point about the poor guy on the end of the phhone, too.

Elegran, why not threaten him with bad publicity in the local paper, if he doesn't get a move on?

MiniMouse Mon 22-Dec-14 12:08:09

Vampirequeen you're really on a roll, aren't you?! Wonder what results your poem on the other thread will bring . . . . . tchwink

vampirequeen Mon 22-Dec-14 10:21:03

I don't usually have hissy fits. Usually I'm a 'thanks very much and of course I'll wait' sort of person but this would have affected our children and as older DD's secondary school found out if you do something that adversely affects my children I turn into a lioness grin

Katek Mon 22-Dec-14 10:16:30

Go Elegran!

Elegran Mon 22-Dec-14 10:05:56

I shall be having a hissy fit today if nothing happens.

Today the man who landscaped my front garden is coming back. Lots of real stone paving, with island beds. He made a big thing of telling me how he would have to make it slope slightly away from the house, and sideways each way from the centre, so as to to get the drainage right, and he had the spirit level to hand as he worked.

When it was all laid but not pointed it looked great. Then he pointed up in between the slabs, and cleaned and tidied up and I gave him the money. Big mistake that.

I went away for a week (end of October) and returned to find that the heavy rain drained TOWARD the house and lay against the front wall. I took out a spirit level and checked - most of it is dead level (no slope at all) but the two rows nearest the house have a slope in the wrong direction. Does he think an old woman has no idea about water flowing downhill? Does he think a spirit level is a device too technical for me?

Got him back and he promised to come back and fix it when he had finished the job he was in the middle of. Early in December I reminded him - he would be there that Tuesday. No show. Another reminder - "Weather has been bad - will be there Monday" TODAY.

The weather is bad for me too - it sends a lot of water to lie in front of my house - and if it freezes I will have a skating rink to cross.

Rant over. Mustn't waste it on you lot and have none left for him.

Nelliemoser Mon 22-Dec-14 09:52:04

It is worth throwing a hissy fit when needed. To be fair I have been generally satisfied with the Co op bank I have been with them for 30yrs.

The worst was a couple of years ago when I went to the supermarket and the machine would not accept my credit card. I rang when I got home.

It appeared that the statement pay by date had somehow been stretched two weeks later than the date I had specified which meant that there was not enough money to pay it as my pensions etc had not gone in. I had then spent assuming from my bank statement that the previous bill card bill had been paid two weeks before.

They were very apologetic with good customer service and paid back the £10 they had deducted. It has not happened since.

thatbags Mon 22-Dec-14 09:49:20

What vamp described was not a tantrum. It was someone expressing justifiable anger. Well done, vamp.

durhamjen Mon 22-Dec-14 09:30:25

So has becoming older changed you, or have you always been like that, Vampire? Well done.
It's strange how they can always take your money out quickly, but not put it back so quickly unless you throw a tantrum.

pompa Mon 22-Dec-14 09:15:34

Love it. Moral of the story, don't cross a granny.

Elegran Mon 22-Dec-14 09:13:58

It pays to throw the occasional hissy fit.

vampirequeen Mon 22-Dec-14 08:58:57

I'm usually a big fan of the Co-op but they've really wound me up lately. Firstly there is the PPI fiasco and now todays debacle.

I got a text message saying my balance was under £10 which gave me a nasty shock as my Christmas money was in the account. £150 had disappeared!!! When I checked online it turned out they'd taken some charges that weren't supposed to be taken as I'd gone into the red due to a mistake by one of their customer service advisers. They agreed to refund the money and said it would be back in my account tomorrow.

To say I threw a hissy fit at this point was a bit of an understatement blush I asked the poor man how I was supposed to tell my children that they couldn't have their Christmas treat today. He tried to placate me but I wasn't having it. I told him I wanted to speak to someone who got paid substantially more than he did as it wasn't fair that he took the flack for a rule that he didn't have the authority to change. He put me on hold whilst he tried to find someone who would talk to me.

This is when the Christmas miracle happened. He came back on the line and said that the money would be back in my account within half an hour.

I wonder why no one wanted to talk to the mad woman who was insisting that they explain to her children when they'd taken our Christmas money and they couldn't go out today tchgrin