Gransnet forums

Chat

New PayPal fraud email

(12 Posts)
vampirequeen Mon 29-Dec-14 22:04:15

Just had the latest version of the crooks email. This one is a very, very good copy of the real PayPal emails. The only things I could see wrong was that it asks to check 'informations' rather that 'information' and it doesn't address you by name.

I know you're all wary of these things anyway but I thought I'd just warn people about this one.

Mishap Mon 29-Dec-14 22:11:16

Yes - I too had one of those.

durhamjen Mon 29-Dec-14 22:13:51

So did I. I stopped my paypal account just because of the scams, so I know if I get one it's a scam.

Ana Mon 29-Dec-14 22:15:36

I've never had a scam email about Paypal and I've had (and used) a Paypal account for many years. I wonder how they target their victims?

pompa Mon 29-Dec-14 22:19:28

I always assume all emails from paypal, my bank, BT etc are scams and report them. Should any be genuine, they will inform me. Most companies have spam depts that you can forward them to.

eg Paypal is [email protected], they always answer to confirm whether it is spoof or not.

Teetime Tue 30-Dec-14 09:34:15

I agree with pompa and just delete these messages from Paypal without opening them. I get them from BT too saying they need my new card number - as I pay by Direct Debit its a bit obvious.

annsixty Tue 30-Dec-14 09:48:19

I have had them and I have never had a PayPal account.

PRINTMISS Tue 30-Dec-14 10:15:32

Unless they address you by name, they are NEVER from Paypal. Just ignore them, and those that purport to come from the Inland Revenue, unless of course you are in contact with I.R.

sunseeker Tue 30-Dec-14 10:38:09

I have received a couple of emails saying my order has been posted and money will be deducted from my account on a certain date and the invoice is in an attachment. Although I do order things online I realised these are a scam and immediately delete them.

FlicketyB Tue 30-Dec-14 13:14:11

Whenever I get even clearly genuine emails from PayPal, my bank etc I never click on the link in the email. I always come out of email, go onto the relevant companies website and contact them through email addresses there

This means if by any chance what appeared genuine (has my full name on it) wasn't, I have protected myself.

Similarly, if telephoned at home by my bank/credit card provider. I will always ring them back from a different phone using a phone number taken from their web site.

Ariadne Tue 30-Dec-14 13:18:52

Anything from PayPal, which you think is suspect, you can forward to [email protected] and they will get straight back to you about it. (Official PayPal communications address you by name.)

I apparently have a package of money which the FBI want to discuss with me, after I have given them my bank details...

I agree though, some of these look convincing, until you look at the dares in tiny print at the bottom, and it is easy to see how the naive and innocent could be duped.

elisagrace Wed 22-Feb-17 15:48:28

Hi all,
No doubt this has been covered at some point but I have tried googling this etc etc and cannot find a resolution.
I use a different PayPal address from the one I used when I first started using discogs but due to suspicious emails I have changed it.
I cannot seem to update it on my profile; met with "you cannot use this..." message.
Any ideas why this is happening? i even talked to paypal customer service.got number from here