Gransnet forums

Chat

Unusual things you take with you.

(52 Posts)
NanKate Fri 02-Jan-15 07:38:15

When you go out or on holiday are there any unusual things you take with you.

DH always takes an extra loo roll and his pillow. I take a small pen knife of my late dad's to cut anything that needs cutting.

What do you take ?

NanKate Fri 02-Jan-15 14:53:13

I'm pleased to see you are ready for anything Crun. wink

Tegan Fri 02-Jan-15 14:53:15

I always take a raincoat, no matter how good the climate is supposed to be where we're going. The only time I didn't take one was when we went to Kefalonia, and I've never seen rain like [and they charged a fortune of rain gear there]. And lots and lots of imodium.

Tegan Fri 02-Jan-15 14:53:36

...and a ball of string...

J52 Fri 02-Jan-15 15:14:14

KatyK, invest in some Hottor shoes/sandals. Walked around in mine for 10 days on holiday, no blisters! x

KatyK Fri 02-Jan-15 15:18:16

J52 - Thank you I will seek them out.

loopylou Fri 02-Jan-15 15:20:02

Crun that must be a record for longest post and most comprehensive packing list ever seen! grin
Be Prepared in spades!

loopylou Fri 02-Jan-15 15:22:13

KatyK definitely Hotter shoes and sandals, only ones ever bought that I can wear straight from the box, and that goes for their walking shoes or boots too, blissfully comfortable x

Grannyknot Fri 02-Jan-15 15:23:37

I always take a multi-tool, and husband makes fun of me for doing that, until he tries to borrow it ...! grin I have a bit of thing for multi-tools, mine looks like a bug, I call it my Transformer.

Other than that, I don't take anything other than as little as possible, because mostly, anything you need can be bought where you are. I know this for a fact smile because our luggage was lost on a 3 week trip to Canada and the US and was returned to us the day before we left. I made do on that trip with a few outfits hurriedly purchased from Costco!

I've got a SIL who lives in the US who drives us all mad because whenever she arrives for a visit, she brings more luggage than I have ever seen for just one person, she carries her own pillow and duvet and goodness know what else. She has been known to ask people to come to the airport with 2 cars! I kid you not. (She does also bring golf clubs).

loopylou Fri 02-Jan-15 15:28:39

Would hate her excess baggage costs Grannyknot!
Am definitely trying not to take everything 'just in case' if we have a holiday abroad again, I usually end up not wearing 3/4 of it smile, and it drives DH mad....... Not sure if could ever restrict myself to 'carry on' only though....

crun Fri 02-Jan-15 15:36:54

"Crun that must be a record for longest post "

Or the shortest: Ctrl-C, Ctrl-P. smile

loopylou Fri 02-Jan-15 15:38:53

grin
Am not keyboard savvy.........!

ninathenana Fri 02-Jan-15 16:23:56

If going by car I take my pillow. If we are self catering, my veg peeler and my tin opener plus black sacks dish cloths, brillos, and Tea-towels.
DH has a pen knife in his pocket nearly all the time. Also a 'head light' as often bed side lights are rubbish for reading.

rosesarered Fri 02-Jan-15 16:32:38

Always take Earl Grey tea-bags and a good corkscrew on any holiday. Also my memory foam mattress topper, which means I can sleep on any bed, no matter how hard! Take those things even when we are flying somewhere.Also, an umbrella, and a light coat or jacket.

Brendawymms Fri 02-Jan-15 16:39:59

Your repeat prescription script in case of emergencies or running out of medication. Useful also when crossing some borders and they want to know what different medication is.

annodomini Fri 02-Jan-15 17:07:42

I take that too, Brenda and, just as importantly, my glasses prescription.

rubysong Fri 02-Jan-15 17:58:21

I always take a large pashmina shawl (charity shop £3) it makes an extra blanket if needed and is cosy to snuggle up on a flight or in a cold house.

rubysong Fri 02-Jan-15 18:02:17

I have lists on the computer for various trips away. I shall now add head torch (which I got for Christmas) as I often read in the middle of the night. Thanks for the tip Nina.

CeeCee Fri 02-Jan-15 23:09:59

Everyone is very practical and organised, I'm very impressed smile
My unusual thing is a small hand-made fabric dog given to me the week I was born, he is 63yrs old. He is the first item to go in my case and because I'm so afraid of losing him he doesn't come out of the case when we arrive as I have a tendency to leave things in hotel rooms. He doesn't have a name, just Dog, and we have travelled to many different countries together.

POGS Sat 03-Jan-15 13:02:05

One of those small collapsible stools and a block the size of a house brick made of balsa wood and filled with something, I know not what but it's lightweight to to take my heavy weight. blush

I have mobility issues and I can't 'cock my leg high enough' to get up the steps of a coach so I use the above. It works but I look a proper Charlie but needs must as they say .

Always loo paper, a spare pair of knickers, tooth paste and brush in the same bagbag.

Used to be a spare bikini, jewellery, make up and the pill in my personal belongings. Those were the days pack and go and not a care in the world. sad.

NanKate Sat 03-Jan-15 21:27:40

Oh you have made me laugh Pogs about cocking your leg up. grin

Has anyone else noticed in Crun's long list of items there is no mention of a pair of PJs. I wonder if he just has a dab of Old Spice behind his ear at night time. hmm

Answers on a postcard please.

Starling Sat 03-Jan-15 21:34:08

If self-catering, Lakeland moisturising hypo-allergenic washing up gloves.

Purpledaffodil Sat 03-Jan-15 22:09:31

Thought that was just me Starling. I took a pair of those gloves to Thailand when I went to visit DS and family. I needed them too as dishwashers were not considered necessary since the maid would be doing the washing up. Left them behind for DS when I left as he is the dishwasher in that family.

Starling Sun 04-Jan-15 16:27:16

Purpledaffodil I am our dishwasher! After spending a couple of holidays searching for washing up gloves in local shops (luckily one town had a Lakeland shop!), I now remember to take a pair with me. In fact last time DH remembered too, so we had two pairs!

Purpledaffodil Tue 06-Jan-15 19:03:28

Better two pairs than none Starling. I always hope my case doesn't get searched by customs. A pair of rubber gloves amongst the holiday clothes would look VERY odd! grin

Starling Tue 06-Jan-15 22:59:34

Purpledaffodil I didn't think of that! We haven't taken any abroad!