Gransnet forums

Chat

Red Hat Society

(15 Posts)
Katek Mon 05-Jan-15 08:56:07

I quoted from Jenny Joseph on another thread and it got me wondering if any of you are members of this society.

petallus Mon 05-Jan-15 09:03:07

What, no drawers!

loopylou Mon 05-Jan-15 09:13:52

Never heard of it confused

Teetime Mon 05-Jan-15 09:15:33

I have heard of it but no I'm not and don't think there is anything local on that score.

soontobe Mon 05-Jan-15 09:22:15

eh?

Ariadne Mon 05-Jan-15 09:29:59

I have come across them, especially in the States, in New Orleans, where a group was having a mini conference in the same centre as pour enormous (20,000) one. They seemd to be having a great time - lively, intelligent and laughing. Great combination!

I am sure you all know the poem, but, just in case:

"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And learn to spit."

"Warning" by Jenny Joseph

Katek Mon 05-Jan-15 09:31:29

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Society

It's a society to encourage women to grow old disgracefully! Founded in the States but there are quite a few British chapters now. We have one in the village (I'm not a member) which is how I know about it. They organise nights/days out at various activities and always wear a red hat and sometimes purple clothing to these events.

Ariadne Mon 05-Jan-15 09:37:38

There are several versions, it seems - something called the Redhatters too.

Soutra Mon 05-Jan-15 09:44:40

I met a group of these ladies a year or so back and think I started a thread (?) They were having coffee in our local Waitrose and I was curious as to why they all wore red berets/beanies/fascinators etc so I sat down with them and we got chatting. The local branch have an amazing social calendar and it seems perfect if you want to go to places, cinemas, theatres, NT houses etc but don't want to go alone.
I think I just felt reluctant to commit to joining because of the "red hat" thing which I felt categorised women of our age, but I found them lively, friendly, inclusive and very well-organised. I would certainly have a look if you think you might like the company.

annodomini Mon 05-Jan-15 10:09:44

I was quite attracted to a red beret in M&S the other day but my sister vetoed it. I might go back and have another think about it now that sister and BiL have gone home. grin

Agus Mon 05-Jan-15 10:32:47

I think it's a great idea but seriously, if I saw a bunch of mature ladies all wearing red hats in Waitrose cafe, I would be wondering if they had been let out for the day!

If you like the red beret anno that's all that matters smile

Ariadne Mon 05-Jan-15 11:48:30

Yes, Agus I agree; the ones I saw were a lively bunch but I wouldn't want to be so specifically identified.

glammanana Mon 05-Jan-15 11:52:13

Soutra I remember your thread about it, it must have been about 18ths ago and very interesting it was too,it must be in the archives somewhere ?

loopylou Mon 05-Jan-15 12:10:23

Nor me Ariadne, but sounds like could be fun ) draw the line at wearing any hat as much as possible, let alone a red one- not my colour.

loopylou Mon 05-Jan-15 12:10:51

Where did the ) come from?!