Gransnet forums

Chat

Sole charge of two toddlers - help

(37 Posts)
schnackie Mon 12-Jan-15 12:29:47

Hi, I live here in the UK. My kids are in America and I have been lucky enough to spend several months with my first grandson who is almost 2 and a half. He now has a baby sister, 6 months. I only spent the first 6 weeks of her life with them. Now my daughter and husband want to take a mini-break (about 5 days) in the spring and I have happily offered to stay with the kids. I am 62, in fairly good health, but I'm worrying about activities to keep them occupied and how the baby will react as I am a virtural stranger to her, although her brother knows me well and is fond of me. Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted!

Mishap Sun 18-Jan-15 11:13:05

Night time rituals are the critical thing. Ours have particular songs and poems (some from their own childhood when I sang the same to them) and woe betide you if you get them in the wrong order!

This is the lovely night poem that my children heard as they went to sleep, and 2 of my GC also hear:

Hushabye my darling, don't you make a peep.
Little creatures everywhere are settling down to sleep.
Fishes in the millpond, goslings in the barn,
Kitten by the fireside, (child's name) in my arms.
Listen to the raindrops singing you to sleep.
Hushabye my darling don't you make a peep.

trisher Sat 17-Jan-15 23:12:27

Take a big bag of little treats with you-don't have to be expensive or even new, charity shops are great places to pick up things. If things get a bit trying producing something from the bag will provide a distraction. Ask for a detailed routine of what usually happens-nap times etc, but be ready to abandon it if necessary. Invite their friends to visit and play. Your DD obviously has a great relationship with you and totally trusts you,you should be really proud.

rosequartz Sat 17-Jan-15 14:47:25

nonnanna I did have a laugh at that.
My DM always referred to it as Number Two.

Falconbird Sat 17-Jan-15 14:14:50

I agree with Ana. I'm looking after my grandchildren for the weekend in July and mum and dad have already told the neighbours what will be happening and I can go to them if there is an emergency.

I was very happy about that because although the children are 7 and 4 I'm not as strong as I was or as quick off the mark.

Got into a panic when babysitting my GD when she had tonsilitus and really needed a second opinion. Very glad when mum came home.

It's lovely though when your grown up kids ask you to babysit and think you're up to it. I have a cushion with Super Gran written on it smile

schnackie Fri 16-Jan-15 15:45:53

nonnanan you really made me laugh with that story! I have found out recently that DGS takes himself off to his room and closes the door when he needs to go, and doesn't like to be disturbed! Sounds like he is ready for potty training, but as apricot said, this will not be included in my duties, thankfully!

nonnanna Fri 16-Jan-15 14:47:58

schnackie It will work out fine. You're thinking ahead and making plans so it will all fall into place. We have eight grandchildren and have had sole responsibility for them many times. It's always easier in their own home with their own things around them. Even better if there will be contact with their friends. From our experiences I would say...make sure you know their routines, snack and meal times, going out times, nap times. Favourite toys are a must and those precious things they have to take to bed. One of ours took two dummies to bed - we didn't know this and couldn't understand why he kept asking for his dummy when he already had one! Also how articulate is the two and a half year old? Any weird family words can cause problems. We had one demanding a cup of tea - it turned out to be warm milk which his parents told him was tea. Many years ago my mother used the words 'do something else' for a poo. My poor brother, aged four, kept telling his friend's Mum he wanted to do something else and she supplied numerous alternative toys until he burst into tears and said 'I've done something else in my pants' Get those details right and you've nailed it. Five days will fly by, by the time you've got them up, breakfasted and dressed it'll be time for an outing, another nap or another meal. Above all else, enjoy the time with them .... you can always catch up with sleep when you get home! Have fun!

schnackie Fri 16-Jan-15 10:56:57

Thanks again, especially for all the advice to nap when the kids are napping - something I always tell my DD but young mums are too worried about piling up laundry etc. Won't be a problem for me!
Mishap - I am terribly complemented, and whilst it will be a challenge, I would have been very upset if the MIL had been asked, LOL!
And janerowena, I agree that it will work because it has too. As I reminded DD on the phone yesterday, she was left several times a year with my mum (4 - 5 days at a time) when I travelled with her dad. Sometimes she got very upset, and my mum let me know about it, but it did not affect her in any long term way!

Faye Fri 16-Jan-15 02:52:33

Caring for your GC in their own home will make it so much easier. Good luck. flowers

janerowena Thu 15-Jan-15 22:33:53

I think you are incredibly brave - but it will work, because it will have to. My own mother used to be ill and so I would be sent to stay with one of my grandmothers for a week. We all survived ok. The only thing I missed was my toys!

Mishap Thu 15-Jan-15 22:28:44

Good luck! Littlest is really quite wee to be looked after by someone she does not know well, but you can only give it your best shot. It is a complement that they trust you to have the children, but if you have any doubts perhaps you could discuss them with your DD and only do what you feel happy with.

schnackie Thu 15-Jan-15 21:02:42

Thanks Ana. Yes there are a couple of people who would be able to help in an emergency. (Real, or me losing my grip lol).

schnackie Thu 15-Jan-15 21:00:13

Thanks, I do know 2 of her friends with kids which will help.

Ana Thu 15-Jan-15 20:53:40

Go to the 'I'm On' option at the top of the page if you get stuck, schnackie - that will bring you straight to this thread as I don't think you've posted on any others.

I'm glad that you'll be looking after your GC in their own home, even though it's not yours. As you've said, you've already stayed there for a good period of time and are at least familiar with the surroundings.

Do you have a contact there in case of emergency - I don't mean a medical one, just a friend or relative who could help you out if you come across a situation you feel unable to cope with on your own?

I think you'll all be fine! smile

MrsPickle Thu 15-Jan-15 20:44:48

Ask to meet some of their friends with little ones the same age. Arrange some play dates with them too.

schnackie Thu 15-Jan-15 20:34:53

First of all I'm so sorry I haven't been able to get back sooner! I couldn't find the post!! Quite new to this!
Thank all of you for some great suggestions! I will be looking after them in their own home which is a plus. They have great tv with loads of kids shows including on demand. Unfortunately it is in central Iowa so very cold but there is a park 5 min walk and I am confident using the car.
I kind of agree that 5 days is a bit long but if I'm honest, I was on my 3rd failing marriage when I was my daughter's age (34)!!! So I am very happy for them to keep their own 8 yr+ marriage in good shape!
We do Skype about once a week and talk on the phone most days. My SIL is a grocer so there will be plenty of food.
I am planning to be teetotal whilst in charge but will open a very large bottle of something strong as soon as I know the plane has landed back home lol!
I will try and not lose this page again. I don't have a lot of close friends and you've all made me feel so much better x

ninathenana Mon 12-Jan-15 22:42:22

I had nearly 2.5 yr old for a week at a time whilst DD was hospitalized on more than one occasion whilst pregnant with second. Her then husband was away serving in the army.

I took him to mine 150 miles away. He was fine, didn't cry for mummy, slept well. I did have help from DH but it was tiering.

Ana Mon 12-Jan-15 20:29:23

I do wish schnackie would come back and give us a bit more information!

granjura Mon 12-Jan-15 20:24:32

Talking about emergencies- how far away would the parents be? Will you have a car, and do you know the area well and are used to drive in the USA? Have they booked already?

thatbags Mon 12-Jan-15 20:15:54

schnackie, my DD came to no harm when I had to be away from her for five days when she was a similar age to your grandchild. However, she had three people to look after her in my absence, one of whom was her father. If you are expected to look after the two little ones by yourself for five days, I think it might be very difficult for you. I would only take on such a task in an emergency.

That said, I wish you well and hope all goes smoothly if you do undertake this task.

rosequartz Mon 12-Jan-15 20:00:42

Are you going out to the States well in advance of their holiday? It will give the children a chance to get used to you again.

Why do they want to go away for five days? Perhaps an overnighter would be enough for a nice break at the moment.

granjura Mon 12-Jan-15 19:52:02

I'd say 5 days is far too long- for the little ones, and for you. Not fair on either! Tell them 3 days, 2 nights- for the first time.

apricot Mon 12-Jan-15 19:38:25

The younger one won't be a toddler, only a little baby, and hopefully both will be napping in the daytime. While they sleep, have a rest yourself because you will be knackered.
Don't try to be Super-Gran, no making your own bread or potty-training the 2 year old. Just keep them cleanish, fed and happy. I hope their parents will be amazingly grateful and that you will be too, to be entrusted with such a sacred task.

thatbags Mon 12-Jan-15 17:38:44

My mother used to say that babies can cope with a change of person or a change of place, but not both at the same time. I had to leave DD1 for five days when she was five and a half months old. My parents came to stay and the baby's father was at home in the mornings and evenings. I expressed milk while I was away and DD continued breast-feeding without any problem when I came home.

harrigran Mon 12-Jan-15 17:19:20

I think 5 days is way too long for a toddler and a baby to be away from their parents. a baby can become quite distressed when apart from mother.

Nonu Mon 12-Jan-15 16:52:45

NAN , I guessed you were.
sunshine