Gransnet forums

Chat

Sporrans, bagpipes and kilts

(39 Posts)
KatyK Fri 16-Jan-15 15:53:00

are on sale in our local Lidl (in Birmingham) today. Just thought I would share that with you grin

mcem Fri 16-Jan-15 22:03:32

Like you I have been following another thread where you've made comments.
I'm afraid I opted out of the other thread that links to it.
Hope my pic provided a moment of light relief!

Agus Fri 16-Jan-15 21:51:03

Couldn't miss him. smile

mcem Fri 16-Jan-15 21:49:25

Thanks agus. I'm sure you'll spot him if I manage to upload it on the pictures thread.

Anya Fri 16-Jan-15 21:48:40

I love the sound of the Lone Piper playing on the ramparts of Edinburgh Castle at night.

Agus Fri 16-Jan-15 21:34:16

mcem my favourite pic was your GS in his kilt. Adorable.

pompa I could lend you one of DH's and my family tartans. We have a few to spare. What would be your choice?

pompa Fri 16-Jan-15 21:27:18

I sometimes wish i could prove Scots ancestry so that I could wear the tartan. I think highland dress is so smart and macho. Mind you, I don;t have the legs for it.

mcem Fri 16-Jan-15 21:22:18

This year I've attended 4 weddings with kilts aplenty at each one!
DS is now planning his wedding for 2016 and the knees will be out in force there too.
My favourite wedding pic was taken at DD's civil parnership in july with the girls surrounded by all the kilted boys from both families.
A friend did buy the very cheap lidl kilt for her son a few years ago. It served its purpose but was not a longterm investment.
(Must try to post that pic on pictures thread.)

Marelli Fri 16-Jan-15 20:47:49

I must say though, at the wedding he did look quite handsome.... wink. The thick kilt-socks, with necessary dirk, filled his legs out a bit, thankfully. My hat blew off though ( not at the sight of him in a kilt) but just when the photos were being taken shock! DD divorced a couple of years later - but it was a very good wedding!!

Agus Fri 16-Jan-15 20:39:55

Sounds divine Marelli grin. No, no to white trainers. My nephews wear Timberlands and rugby socks with their kilts.

loopylou Fri 16-Jan-15 20:29:49

I can just imagine that Marelli! grin
DH's legs best kept covered...... at all times!

Marelli Fri 16-Jan-15 19:32:38

When DH was being fitted for a hired kilt at the time of DD's wedding, I laughed so much that I really did slide down the wall of the fitting room (no exaggeration - though I didn't fall on the floor, of course)! DH's wee legs would look better on a budgie, and the sight of him standing there with the kilt up at the front and down at the back (because of his plump-ish tummy), wearing his white trainers and sports socks, just did it for me! This was in 1990 (hence the white trainers etc) grin

loopylou Fri 16-Jan-15 19:16:39

Massive stock arrived too late for Games??

ninathenana Fri 16-Jan-15 19:13:56

The Games have been and gone smile why are they being advertised and sold now. Definitely aimed at burns night.

Katek Fri 16-Jan-15 18:19:02

I went to Tesco on 31st December in a nearby town and there was an entire pipe band massed in the entrance. They proceeded to march down past the fruit and veg and then navigated the entire store! You can imagine how that sounded in Tesco's barn-like structure......and I like a pipe band!!

Agus Fri 16-Jan-15 18:16:52

My DH looks 'wicked' in his kilt. Phwoar grin

loopylou Fri 16-Jan-15 18:15:06

Grounds for emigrating absent! I mean 8 year olds, not bagpipes per se smile

Katek Fri 16-Jan-15 18:12:17

No, you need rugby player legs with a kilt! My DH doesn't wear a kilt as he walks like a gunslinger so it doesn't hang properly. He has a very smart pair of properly cut high waisted tartan trews instead.

loopylou Fri 16-Jan-15 18:08:04

Men look wonderful in the full outfit [sigh]
DS's best friend wears his to weddings etc (he is a true Scot through and through) and has already ordered one for 3 year old son.
Thankful DH isn't Scottish he has very thin legs, somehow doesn't look right if worn by men with skinny legs?

absent Fri 16-Jan-15 18:06:48

I hate Scottish bagpipes, even when they are played properly, but the thought of a massed band of under-eights playing a selection of different tunes and no tunes at all on £12.99 bagpipes…

Katek Fri 16-Jan-15 18:03:53

You do know that a haggis has two short legs on one side to help it balance as it runs round the hill? grin

Katek Fri 16-Jan-15 18:01:43

A properly made 8/9 yard wool kilt will cost up to £500 and by the time you factor in jackets/waistcoats/shirts/belts/sporrans/hose/flashes/ties/sgian dubh etc you are well over £1000 for an outfit. These ones in Lidl are for the mass market as we head towards Burns Night. We bought our DS his kilt outfit for his 18th - he'll have it for life.

Charleygirl Fri 16-Jan-15 16:13:12

Anya wrap up warmly, you will be outdoors for a long time!!!

Anne58 Fri 16-Jan-15 16:10:08

At least it's not as bad as Halloween! Waitrose had Halloween tinsel, Halloween crackers etc etc

Anya Fri 16-Jan-15 16:09:04

Promised the GS I'd take him on a Haggis Hunt.

Anya Fri 16-Jan-15 16:08:22

Burns Night 25th January. Must get out and catch my haggis this weekend.