Gransnet forums

Chat

RIP Colleen McCullough

(14 Posts)
GreatauntieLinda Sat 31-Jan-15 22:46:04

I didn't know that there were further books in the Masters of Rome. I came across First Man in Rome this summer whilst staying at the caravan and it is an outstanding book. Now I cannot wait to track down The Grass Crown and Fortune's Favourites.

I enjoyed the book of the Thorn Birds but the TV series put my teeth on edge.

Anya Fri 30-Jan-15 15:10:24

Well done Rebecca Shaw for showing this up as the antidiluvian rubbish it undoubtedly is.

Ana Fri 30-Jan-15 15:07:30

Too many commas! shock

Riverwalk Fri 30-Jan-15 15:05:25

Shocking indeed the use of 'nevertheless'.

Is The Australian a cheap tabloid?

NCTOxford Fri 30-Jan-15 14:57:56

Have you seen the shocking obituary which has made the news?

"COLLEEN McCullough, Australia’s best-selling author, was a charmer. Plain of feature, and certainly overweight, she was, nevertheless, a woman of wit and warmth."

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/30/colleen-mcculloch-well-celebrate-a-woman-for-anything-as-long-as-its-not-her-talent

Pittcity Fri 30-Jan-15 13:49:56

I read most of her books back in the 70s and 80s and The Thorn Birds was nowhere near the best. Her genres varied wildly from the series based in ancient Rome to the futuristic Creed for the Third Millennium. I think my favourite was Tim, or maybe it was just because I fancied Mel Gibson in the film?

Tegan Fri 30-Jan-15 12:26:28

I read very heavy stuff back in those days and was quite snobbish about reading it when my neighbour lent it to me to read on holiday. It must go down as my best ever holiday read, along with Captain Corellis Mandolin and The Shell Seekers. I did enjoy the tv series though.

Agus Fri 30-Jan-15 11:47:35

The Thorn Birds is on my list as one of those books I couldn't put down and as it's many years since I read it, a re read sounds like a good idea.

I didn't like the TV series at all. Like many good books, they do not translate well as TVS series or films.

Riverwalk Fri 30-Jan-15 11:27:06

On the TV series, Colleen McCullough's own words

“I hated it - it was instant vomit.”

grin

constance Fri 30-Jan-15 11:23:27

Though, Richard Chamberlain...

constance Fri 30-Jan-15 11:23:13

Still remember the thrill of reading the Thorn Birds, and yes, the disappointment of the tv version.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 30-Jan-15 10:21:45

Wow! What an interesting life story. I'm going to seek out the first book in the Masters of Rome series mentioned there. Going to Rome in a few weeks, so want to get a feel for it. Long time since I read about Cicero et al.

The Thornbirds would make a good Summer read.

She sounds a fantastic person!

Mishap Fri 30-Jan-15 10:11:01

That is sad. Last summer I re-read The Thorn Birds whilst on holiday (and whilst it rained!) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Riverwalk Fri 30-Jan-15 09:49:16

The author of Thorn Birds has died aged 77.

Great book - terrible mini series.

A very informative obituary in the New York Times

Colleen McCullough