Gransnet forums

Chat

Milestone birthdays

(19 Posts)
annsixty Wed 18-Feb-15 19:21:06

Falconbird no tips at all. Just be yourself and having young GC helps. The oldest is 16 and the youngest 4 last Friday, they really keep me on my toes. A sense of humour never goes amiss either.

Falconbird Wed 18-Feb-15 19:14:55

PS well done for being very computer literate - lots of older people aren't including people of my age.

Falconbird Wed 18-Feb-15 19:13:31

annsixty - I'm 68 - any tips for growing old gracefully? I like to say I'm pushing 70 which makes people quite kindly towards me.

For my last birthday I treated the family to pantomime tickets in the best seats and a meal afterwards - it was a lovely evening with lots of letting out the tension by shouting "behind you" etc., We all needed it after the death of two vitally important people in the family. My DH and my son's MIL.

KatyK Wed 18-Feb-15 18:20:38

We always make a bit of a fuss at the ones ending with O. I went to Venice for my 50th and we went to New York for DH's 60th. However I have noticed that 65 has now been creeping into the mix. Any excuse to celebrate I say!

annsixty Wed 18-Feb-15 18:03:34

You are all so young. DH is 80 next year (one more to go first) and I have only two and a bit years to go to mine.I have decided we will both be well "past it" by then.What a sobering thought!!

HildaW Wed 18-Feb-15 17:48:04

Not been a big one for birthdays really....but having been through a few years of various stressful events have marked a few important folks cards as to my 60th. Hence a holiday to Venice, Florence and Rome in a couple of months and a heavy hint to daughters to put a bit of effort into being available near the day for a bit of a family do.
Am just glad that the fashion for sending folks up in hot air balloons seemed to have waned...in these 'ere parts anyway.

tanith Wed 18-Feb-15 17:18:21

DH birthday and mine are in the same week and our Anniversary also, this year its our 20th Wedding anni and DH 65 this year and if I can find something nice we will have a holiday in the UK (DH won't fly) we usually have a family BBQ as this all happens in July I'm not bothered about special birthdays but the family seem to like to mark them who am I to argue. I'd be quite happy with cards only .

Pittcity Wed 18-Feb-15 17:07:17

DH and DDs threw a surprise party for my 40th, lovely but it was at our house so I came in to it straight from work and then had to clear up afterwards.hmm

To avoid this again we were away for our 50ths. DH trekked to Everest Base Camp for his and we were in Venice on a Mediterranean cruise for mine.

There are at least 6 milestones in close family this year, ranging from 21 to 80. Each are doing their own thing on the day and we are having a big family Summer BBQ to celebrate them all at the house of the cousin with the biggest house and garden. Must book the bouncy castle!

baubles Wed 18-Feb-15 16:38:14

DH & I had a weekend in Paris to celebrate my 40th birthday. He arranged it without my knowledge, even arranging time off work with the person I worked closely with. The children, who were 10 & 13 at the time, were in on the surprise and kept it from me, DD reminded DH that she and I had tickets for the ballet (December birthday so part of her Christmas treat) and they managed to get them changed to another date.

Gobsmacked didn't come close!

Having said that, we don't normally bother too much with our birthdays, which fall exactly four weeks apart. When DH turned 65 and I 60 our family arranged some lovely treats for us both but that was more to celebrate the fact that we were both retiring from work around the same time.

I don't think I've experienced any angst about the passing of the years but I dare say that may come in time.

loopylou Wed 18-Feb-15 16:37:18

Ragdale Hall, that sounds lovely Teetime, unadulterated pampering...

J52 Wed 18-Feb-15 16:35:41

My birthday is just after New Year, so for milestones I go to different countries for New Years Eve. Won't get round many unless I live for a very long time! x

Teetime Wed 18-Feb-15 16:34:05

We are a bit like annsixty and kitty. DH is 70 next year and I am already thinking of a small family party in the garden but catered so I don't have to do it. He likes ethnic food so I thought I would see what can be done around that and its June so we are usually lucky with the weather. my birthday is in Feb and so just come back from Barcelona which was still quite cold. DH gave me a pressie (a necklace exactly like one he had already given me a few years ago which I never wear as its too gltzy) and card before we went so I had nothing to open on the day- this has happened before. I had family cars but despite knowing we were going away no-one attempted to get the cards to me to take away with me so they were waiting on the mat when I got home three days after the event- I am about to put them in the recycling as soon as I can shake him off I am going shopping on my own to buy myself something nice. I shall book myself into Ragdale Hall next year!

loopylou Wed 18-Feb-15 16:33:30

Same here annsixty, so I'm determined I will celebrate my 65th in a few years! Hopefully I will retire shortly after it..........
Having a birthday very close to Christmas means I fully intend to head for the sun (with or without DH!) in the January sunshine!

annsixty Wed 18-Feb-15 16:22:18

I have always made sure that DH's milestones have been celebrated as I am an organiser but he has never returned the compliment as he is not.I do have to confess to feeling hurt at times but have never shown it.

merlotgran Wed 18-Feb-15 16:07:51

DH was 70 in January and we were both ill and so was DD and the DGCs. Like kitty we have never been able to celebrate his milestones because it's a horrible month and too close to Christmas to get everyone together (again)

On Monday we're going to Thoresby Hall in Notts for a couple of days which was a joint pressie from our DCs. DH grew up near there so it'll be a nostalgic visit for him and we can do most of it from the warmth of the car!!

My birthday is in June so I feel a bit guilty because my milestone birthdays have been lovely.

Secretly though I hate them as it's another decade gone sad

soontobe Wed 18-Feb-15 15:58:47

Most of the people I know, celebrate.
A few, like my husband, would like his to just go away.

ninathenana Wed 18-Feb-15 15:58:13

I hit 60 last year. I don't have enough family and friends to warrant a party but I wanted to mark the occasion. DH and I took a trip to Switzerland and rode the Glacier Express.

40,50, didn't bother me I didn't like turning 30 or 60 much.

kittylester Wed 18-Feb-15 15:54:03

So, which one of you is in the photo?

DH is 70 in August and for his milestones we have a family 'bash' in the garden! We have them for other occasions too. There are usually about 30 - 40 of us and we have never been rained on yet! cupcakewine

On the other hand, my birthday is January 5th and, despite organising bashes to celebrate my milestones, we've never managed one yet as it has either snowed or we have been struck down with flu! sad

Happy birthday to who ever it is and - where's my invitation! confused

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 18-Feb-15 15:41:30

So we've been talking about 'big' (ie milestone) birthdays this week... (one of us <might> have one coming up rather imminently...)

Marking a new decade. Do you bother? If you do, how do you do it? Are milestone birthdays a time for taking stock? For trying something new? For getting a tattoo (thinking Felicity Kendal, David Dimbleby...) For celebrating? For ignoring?

We would love to hear your thoughts and experiences re hitting 50, 60, 70 etc etc