Gransnet forums

Chat

It's the little thing really............

(21 Posts)
kittylester Sat 21-Feb-15 15:30:04

that drive me nuts!!

The two rings on the cooker that no longer light by pressing the button and need the gas lighter thingy,
the boiler that, every now and again, doesn't light with a message that reads FO,
DH car failing it's MOT because the light to illuminate the number plate is missing - not the bulb but the whole blooming fitting - where's that gone,
the tap in the utility room that, only sporadically, runs at a trickle rather than full flow,
the one bulb [out of five] in the glass cupboards in the kitchen that blows once a fortnight, and it's the one in the cupboard with the delicate glasses in, not the one with plates, bowls etc,
the Sky, only occasionally, freezing,
the bulb in the microwave that has gone and has to be replaced by an engineer because you can't get at the flipping thing but is nearly 10 years old,
the Dyson that stops picking up,
the water feature in the garden that stops - completely,
the well known 'naughty boy' at the school down the road throwing a stone through the dining room window 'by accident' and shouting 'paedophile' at the top of his voice when DD caught up with him.

None of them enormous things, some of them expensive to sort and, added together, a right blinking pain.

kittylester Sat 21-Feb-15 15:32:59

Obviously, the OP should read 'It's the little thingS' - sorry, but I'm stressed!!

grannyactivist Sat 21-Feb-15 15:36:42

Oh Kitty it sounds as though you need some TLC. Plan a treat for yourself and in the meantime here, have some virtual flowers.
flowers flowers flowers flowers

Teetime Sat 21-Feb-15 15:40:34

There must be some high falutin name for this kitty perhaps you have a multi system technological and ergonomic failure syndrome - can you get a grant for it?

Galen Sat 21-Feb-15 15:40:42

The dyson might be the filters? flowers

loopylou Sat 21-Feb-15 15:55:07

Much sympathy kittylester...though I had to chuckling at the boiler message saying FO grin! I bet you muttered something similar ladylike under your breath.
Things never seem to go wrong well spaced out, do they?
With me it's the car now, having recently sorted out vacuum cleaner (apparently parts are obsolete after 4 years old), laptop (notsodear H says nothing to do with him although I haven't touched it for a fortnight), new cooker when it flatly refused to ignite/heat oven and engineer shrugged his shoulders, telephone line that BT swore wasn't faulty yet when engineer turned he said it was.......
flowersand wine for you!

loopylou Sat 21-Feb-15 15:55:58

Chuckle not chuckling.... ruddy spellcheck

Anya Sat 21-Feb-15 16:01:15

Oh Kitty I know all this adds up and is not funny, but you have made me laugh and for that flowers

ffinnochio Sat 21-Feb-15 16:02:15

Know the feeling kitty. flowers We've had a run of small irritating 'fails', the most recent one happened this morning, quiet some miles away from home, and having to push the old jeep whilst Mr. F tried to jump start it. It didn't help that the jeep was covered in owl poop!

annodomini Sat 21-Feb-15 16:11:02

At least you've got it all off your chest, Kitty. You need either a lie-down in a darkened room or a stiff drink. I can guess which would be the more effective! wine

kittylester Sat 21-Feb-15 17:14:20

Anno, winewine then a lie down, I think! grin

kittylester Sat 21-Feb-15 17:16:38

Teetime, do you think I can get benefits as well? grin

Galen Sat 21-Feb-15 17:20:23

I can sympathise as my much travelled and loved luggie has had to go to the luggie heaven and as I can't be without one for travel I've had to buy a new one!sad

annodomini Sat 21-Feb-15 17:24:17

kitty, you have your priorities right. grin

rosequartz Sat 21-Feb-15 17:41:46

They all come together, don't they!

Incidentally, I got my very old Dyson serviced by an independent firm (not Dyson) and they were very good.
I bought a new microwave because the light had gone in mine (DS is quite happy with it as it was better than his)
And this bloomin' pc keeps freezing and crashing. Can't afford a new one at the moment.

For you wine - hope it's not corked!

kittylester Sat 21-Feb-15 20:36:47

We took our Dyson to the little independent in town - it cost £70, The boilerv: is insured so cost £50 excess, the window cost £105, DH's car cost £400, the cooker £170, we haven't had the plumber or electrician yet but I suspect we can't afford to eat for the next few weeks! grin

And I need new glasses!

annsixty Sat 21-Feb-15 20:41:29

My pc has acted up all day today but suddenly righted itself. That apart all is well, if only I could say the same about body parts!!

Teetime Sun 22-Feb-15 09:43:27

kitty I think you could probably get an Arts Council Grant if you present your items in one large airy room and call yourself T Emin. smile

Stansgran Sun 22-Feb-15 11:27:49

We call them dragon's teeth and I keep a hammer (only a lightweight one) in the kitchen drawer to bash them down . Always feel so much better.

Eloethan Sun 22-Feb-15 14:49:37

I don't know how long you've had your Dyson but the warranty is for quite a long time and I'm fairly sure they did a repair on my daughter's Dyson when it was out of the warranty period.

I know what you mean kitty. An accumulation of little niggling things can be really annoying.

Mine are:

Our shower, the thermostat for which needs very careful adjusting to get a flow of water. To change the shower apparently means taking off a lot of tiles so my husband has perfected the art of adjustment. I just can't get the hang of it and use a plastic jug to rinse my hair. Fortunately, I prefer to have a bath.

Recorded programmes "breaking up" every so often - don't know if it's the signal or the DVD player.

The kettle not turning off when it's boiled.

My mobile phone "dying" (even though only 2 years old) and not being able to transfer numbers because I couldn't turn it on. Then transferring all my numbers and some weeks later somehow deleting them all.

mrsmopp Sun 22-Feb-15 16:15:15

The light went out on my microwave ages ago.
Decided I didn't need it anyway, and it hasn't been a problem.
Wouldn't worry about it. Cross it off your list.