Gransnet forums

Chat

Rail cards

(31 Posts)
ninathenana Mon 02-Mar-15 15:13:08

I have today received 2 senior rail cards which I ordered on line for the princely sum of £0 grin
They were bought with Tesco vouchers and will save us 30% on each ticket bought.
Posting incase anyone isn't aware of this. Although GN's are a pretty savy lot.

ninathenana Sat 07-Mar-15 00:40:22

The point of the post was that if you use your tesco vouchers it's free. So for £30 worth of vouchers DH and I saved ourselves £60.

Milly Fri 06-Mar-15 19:57:25

You don't have to shop at Tesco to get this Rail Card. You can buy it for £30 from the Booking Office at your local station, no form to fill in, just hand over your £30 and give your name and the nice chap makes out the card and then takes the first discount off the ticket you are then buying.

MrsBoot Fri 06-Mar-15 19:21:44

My local authority also gives a choice of bus pass or Senior rail card but if you want both, the bus pass is still free and the rail pass has a 20% discount (they give you a code to use when applying on line for the rail card). If interested then it's worth applying to your local council as you also save 30% on your train fares.

rubylady Wed 04-Mar-15 22:27:11

Thank you for putting this on about the cards on Tesco site. I have, eventually done it, although I did get the little SD card stuck in the computer when I thought I had put it in the SD card adapter. My DS wasn't very happy about it I can tell you when I told him earlier and he had to get it out by cutting down two Q tips as nothing else would fit in the gap, not even tweezers! angry

All done now though and card should arrive shortly. Yeah! Cut price travel for me and my doggie for the summer. Thanks ladies. flowers

ninathenana Wed 04-Mar-15 17:46:08

"rubylady* I had a confirmation e-mail then the actual card arrived in the post two days later.
Very efficient.

FlicketyB Wed 04-Mar-15 17:37:34

I understand that a 'Network Card' gives under 60s similar discounts to a Senior Railcard.

I read this as an answer to a question in a magazine. Some one was working over retirement age and didn't want work colleagues to realise just how old he was when he produced the Senior Rail card on trains for inspectors to see. The Network card was suggested as an alternative.

Katek Wed 04-Mar-15 07:59:41

Mine comes by post....presume it's the same with the Tesco offer as it's an actual plastic card. Wish mine had been up for renewal, could have saved some money!!

rubylady Wed 04-Mar-15 02:06:26

Right, I have bought the railcard or got it through my clubcard. How do I literally get the rail card? Is it sent to my email and then I print it off? I don't have a printer. confused but learning.

janerowena Tue 03-Mar-15 20:51:27

How do you find out what the flash sales are? I shop online with Tesco, but they don't email me offers - maybe I would need to subscribe, which could be pretty horrendous email-wise.

ninathenana Tue 03-Mar-15 18:40:57

How strange, that link does indeed say they are sold out. Yet after reading your post Maggie I pretended to order 2 more cards and got through to checkout.
Unfortunately I can't do a link on my phone.

joannapiano Tue 03-Mar-15 18:37:41

I knew this offer was coming up today, so I logged on the site at 9.30am today and got mine. (Senior Citizen one).
A real bargain as I often travel to St Neots to see a friend.

Maggiemaybe Tue 03-Mar-15 18:35:20

Apparently, it was a "flash sale", and there were only a limited number of cards available. I don't know if Tesco have done this before, but I'll be looking out for other offers.

www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/search.aspx?Ntt=--refwk1&VSI=17&Ns=&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchall&Nr=NOT%28P_Product_TypeID%3A5%29

ninathenana Tue 03-Mar-15 18:33:20

I didn't think there was a time limit, I thought it was a permanent offer confused

Maggiemaybe Tue 03-Mar-15 18:31:01

I've just been having a look at the Tesco Clubcard site, and I'm afraid all the cards available, apart from the one for disabled travellers, have now gone. sad I can imagine it was a pretty popular offer!

12Michael Tue 03-Mar-15 13:55:09

I have a 3 year card buying online to get it, but to those unaware once you are 60 you can get railcard.
Also if there are 2 of you , and travel by rail allot together you have a 2 together card but requires passport photos.
3 year card current rate is £70 , you just need to do it online giving passport number or driving licence details to sanction the age bit.
Mick
PS the 2 together card has no age barrier.

vegasmags Tue 03-Mar-15 13:14:40

I also have a disabled card which gives me and a travelling companion a discount as mentioned above. It's worth pointing out that wearing an NHS hearing aid, as I do, entitles you to a disabled rail card. You just photocopy the front of your 'battery book' as proof of entitlement. It never occurred to me to apply until I was stuck at Euston with cancelled trains and chaos and I could not hear any of the announcements. I sought the assistance of a very helpful member of staff and it was he who advised me to get a disabled railcard.

janerowena Tue 03-Mar-15 13:00:34

www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=4443

I think they must take you to a page that is not visible until you have bought the voucher, which I cannot see on here

www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.uk/

rubylady Tue 03-Mar-15 12:50:31

Thanks Katek but is that how I redeem my Tesco points towards the cost of the railcard? Plus do I not have to send off evidence of being disabled? flowers

Katek Tue 03-Mar-15 08:52:46

You can do it all online Ruby- just Google disabled persons railcard. You'll see the eligibility criteria and there's an online form.

rubylady Tue 03-Mar-15 00:27:04

I shop at Tesco all the time, well, home delivery. And I could do with a disabled rail card. How do I go about this please, anyone? smile

MrsPickle Mon 02-Mar-15 23:00:44

I get a choice of a rail card or bus pass from local authority. As we have very few buses, I choose a free rail card.
I can get much further with it, plus I don't shop at Tesco very much any more.

Katek Mon 02-Mar-15 22:53:11

Same here Galen-means DH also gets third off.

Galen Mon 02-Mar-15 16:30:00

I have a disabled one.

janerowena Mon 02-Mar-15 15:49:30

That looks really useful, I can get us the two together, and DS can have a student one - he usually uses his National Express student one and now I see that I could have got that free for him as well! Wonderful.

janerowena Mon 02-Mar-15 15:45:56

Thank you! smile