Gransnet forums

Chat

Wanted - Middle-aged mothers to be employed as spies by MI5

(23 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 06-Mar-15 15:41:53

MPs, which ones I'm not sure, have advised spy chiefs to recruit middle-aged mothers because they are "emotionally intelligent" and skilled at relationships, a bit of a sweeping assumption there. Nevertheless The Intelligence and Security Committee have advised that GCHQ should start advertising on the Mumsnet website. MUMSNET!!!!! surely many there will fall into "young mums category". There must be a few here on GN still on the "middle aged spectrum" - well upper end, just! grin

I always prided myself, with my own children, of being able to sniff out a lie at ten paces and proved that theory on many occasions. What always disappointed me with mine ( boys) they just weren't as good as I was at the same age in being economic with the truth, yes I was a sublime A* liar, not a serial one, just good at covering my tracks when required! Any GNs out there think you have what it takes to make a good Mata Hari and what special qualities would you bring to the job?

tanith Fri 06-Mar-15 15:44:58

I've always thought women are much sneakierbetter than men at covering their tracks..
I wonder what sort of 'assignments' I'd be fit for nowadays though grin

soontobe Fri 06-Mar-15 15:52:47

If they think I am going to want to be a spy, they can think again!

janerowena Fri 06-Mar-15 15:58:07

I did a whole load of sleuthing when I had a (well-founded) sneaking suspicion that Ex was having an affair. The awful thing was - I found I really enjoyed spying on him! I even got a babysitter in on some of the nights he said he wouldn't be home until late just so that I could follow him. Checked his browser history, checked his amazon purchases on a whim one day and found something that he most definitely hadn't bought for me. To name just a few. So had plenty of time to sort out my own affairs and leave. I also got a few friends to keep an eye out for his car, as it had once been mentioned as having been seen in a pub carpark in a rather odd area. By the time I left, he was the only person in my circle of friends who didn't know that I knew. And all that time I carried on smiling sweetly and ironing his shirts.

With which I had a big bonfire the day I left. grin

janerowena Fri 06-Mar-15 15:58:21

I always did hate ironing.

Galen Fri 06-Mar-15 16:14:48

grin

loopylou Fri 06-Mar-15 16:30:41

Revenge is sweet!
grin

Mishap Fri 06-Mar-15 16:33:54

I think you should get on to MI5 right away janer - you seem just the right sort of resourceful person they need!

rosequartz Fri 06-Mar-15 16:41:16

I would be no good at all, I always seem to be 'out of the loop' wink

rosequartz Fri 06-Mar-15 16:42:06

janer I love your post grin

absent Fri 06-Mar-15 19:20:28

Who are these middle-aged mothers supposed to be spying on, where and why? Perhaps MPs ought to have some kind of basic intelligence [sic] test before they are allowed to take office.

janerowena Fri 06-Mar-15 21:14:24

The only thing I could think of was dinner parties, otherwise it would have to be at work - or have affairs! I have heard many an indiscretion at dinner parties. Men can be pretty boastful. Women might boast about little Georgiana being the youngest in her ballet class to have grade three, but they are more likely to gossip about human relationships than having managed to bribe someone to smuggle them into an arms factory. Which is something I heard an uncle do many years ago, it was in South Africa and he was working for Caterpillar. What arms have to do with Caterpillar I never did like to ask, at the time. Now I wouldn't hesitate.

soontobe Fri 06-Mar-15 21:47:37

You are intriguing janerowena!

I am wondering if by spy, they mean they want women to "listen in" to emails and texts and the like. Social media "spying".

absent Fri 06-Mar-15 22:10:06

How do middle-aged mothers listen into e-mails and texts that are not addressed to them?

NotTooOld Fri 06-Mar-15 22:11:35

Why can't they recruit spies from Gransnet? Most of us have the experience but no young children to worry about. I did read, though, that child minding would be provided for these newly recruited spies. (It's not April 1st by any chance, is it?)

Deedaa Fri 06-Mar-15 22:15:55

DD goes on Mumsnet from time to time and from what she tells me it sounds as if most of them shouldn't be allowed out on their own - never mind spying!

gillybob Fri 06-Mar-15 22:25:15

Where do I sign?

I'm dying to be a spy. grin

janerowena Mon 09-Mar-15 23:07:11

It did enter my mind many years ago, but then I thought I might have to sleep with someone with BO just to find out where someone would be at 8pm the following night. (Or halitosis.
Or smelly feet.)

If I could only have my sense of smell removed, I think I could cope. But then, how would I be able to sniff out a potential cyanide capsule? Or a potential assassin's cigarette smoke wafting around a corner in a dark alley as they waited to strangle me?

loopylou Tue 10-Mar-15 08:22:11

Am I confused or is there another thread or have some posts gone missing?
Perhaps we've been hijacked or are about to be secretly recruited?
confused

absent Tue 10-Mar-15 09:34:59

They wouldn't have me in the diplomatic corps because I had a foreign parent in spite of my facility with languages. He was Dutch – when were we last at war with the Netherlands? I am pretty sure that they wouldn't have had me as a spy – not that I wanted to be one then or now.

loopylou Tue 10-Mar-15 10:03:27

When DS was working for high level defence all 3 generations were vetted, not sure whether to be glad or disappointed that zilch came to light!

janerowena Tue 10-Mar-15 15:21:25

loopy there is another thread! grin

loopylou Tue 10-Mar-15 15:37:52

Thanks janer, thought my marbles had skedaddled smile