Gransnet forums

Chat

Acronyms

(45 Posts)
boheminan Wed 22-Apr-15 16:05:32

Right! Here I go, putting my head on the chopping block (again).

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to read a lot of threads here due to the fact that a lot of acronyms being used by posters are totally alien to me - I haven't a clue what they mean, so I'm spending a lot of time reading back over posts, trying to fit in their meaning (as they're not shown in the acronym list given by GN). confused. Could I request, very politely, that if an acronym is used that isn't featured in the GN list, the poster could perhaps enlighten readers what the initials stand for (perhaps on the first use) so I for one, don't have to try and work it out! Thank you.

Over...and out....grin

janerowena Fri 24-Apr-15 12:20:38

I love SAG! grin

A teenager friend's parents used to say TTFN to each other when they went up to bed, one earlier than the other. She only found out a few years ago that it was 'Too Tired For Nooky'. Not tata for now!

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Apr-15 09:24:33

OMG!!! [ grin]

Pittcity Fri 24-Apr-15 09:15:01

Somebody suggested SAG = still above ground smile

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 24-Apr-15 09:02:23

grin. I like the OMSG and ROFLCGU!

Pittcity Fri 24-Apr-15 08:57:18

This might help!

janerowena Thu 23-Apr-15 16:29:06

II I quite like! He sometimes calls me (to his friends) The Missus, 'Er Indoors, The Wife. Nothing Dearly Beloved, you will note.

janerowena Thu 23-Apr-15 11:23:09

I live in a near-constant state of exasperation. I fear that when he does retire, he will become a GOG (Grumpy Old Git), as did his father and grandfather before him. annsixty would be very welcome to him at that point.

In the meantime, what can you do when someone buys you the most thoughtful little gifts, but then you find him packing. 'What are you doing?' you ask, a little concerned. 'Packing, to go to the athletics meet, of course!' Then comes the @what' meet?' 'I put it on the calendar, I told you about it!'

You both go downstairs, nothing on the calendar, he didn't ever tell you, and you are both meant to be at a dinner party the following night! But he goes anyway.

Soutra Thu 23-Apr-15 00:10:06

Dear Better Half makes sense. I also like OG (old git?)
How about this one
I I = ?
('im indoors)

soontobe Wed 22-Apr-15 23:49:10

janerowena's DBH use got me very confused.
After reaching my conclusion on the letters, she then, from time to time, seemed complimentary about him, so I concluded that he must be a bit of a mixture! smile

Tegan Wed 22-Apr-15 22:30:49

I first heard of SO when watching The Beiderbecke Tapes with James Bolam; never thought I'd end up with a SO but it seems more suitable than 'partner'. My ex husband came round last week when someone was doing some work at my house and I introduced him as 'my daughters father', to which he laughed and said 'I'm her ex'. Life gets very complicated sometimes.

janerowena Wed 22-Apr-15 22:19:41

Dearly Beloved Husband! grin grin grin So sorry. I prefer some of your alternatives actually. grin He drives me potty at times. Dear Bloody Husband seems far better, just about sums it up most of the time, then he does something lovely and I feel very guilty. Ten minutes later he is being a selfish SOB (is that in the list? grin ) and I could wring his neck. Never a dull moment, he is predictable in his unpredictability.

annsixty Wed 22-Apr-15 19:25:16

I always assumed janerowena was being very complimentary and very loving. He seems pretty perfect to me!!!

KatyK Wed 22-Apr-15 19:20:42

Oh yes of course. Thank you loopy.

loopylou Wed 22-Apr-15 19:19:26

Significant Other I think...

KatyK Wed 22-Apr-15 19:18:13

I am never sure what SO means? Can anyone enlighten me?

harrigran Wed 22-Apr-15 19:15:26

I think if you are not married you sometimes refer to them as DBH or SO even DP.

mcem Wed 22-Apr-15 19:12:43

I assumed that DBH was dear better half ( not necessarily husband).

soontobe Wed 22-Apr-15 18:33:24

I think that it is janerowena that always calls her husband DBH. I assumed that she was not being complimentary.

soontobe Wed 22-Apr-15 18:32:38

Once this thread is finished op, you could ask for gransnet to compile a more up to date list.

soontobe Wed 22-Apr-15 18:31:34

I came to the conclusion that DBH meant dear bxxxard husband.
I asked what it meant once, and no one replied, so I was left to guess.

loopylou Wed 22-Apr-15 18:25:33

grin I like that one ninathenana

ninathenana Wed 22-Apr-15 18:21:21

Husband from hell ??? grin

ninathenana Wed 22-Apr-15 18:20:01

One of my favourites pompa grin

Ana Wed 22-Apr-15 18:19:20

Well HFH isn't there, for a start!

ninathenana Wed 22-Apr-15 18:18:45

Can't remember a flippin (or insert your own 'f' word) thing