Gransnet forums

Chat

Reasons to stay Alive.....

(47 Posts)
Mishap Wed 29-Apr-15 17:02:04

.....is a new book by Matt Haig on the subject of depression. It comes highly recommended. I have just downloaded it to my kindle.

He suffers from depression and I was impressed by his statement that people with depression do not want to take their life because they feel sad, but because they just feel so ill that they want it to stop! My sentiments entirely!

cazthebookworm Sun 03-May-15 09:42:03

jing grin

Stansgran Agreed.

Stansgran Sat 02-May-15 22:50:20

JBF you are so nice

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 02-May-15 17:45:53

You got enough vases Caz?

cazthebookworm Sat 02-May-15 17:44:39

I am SO spoilt today, another thank you toGalen and please don't think of death anymore, not fair at all on your family.

Galen Sat 02-May-15 17:35:03

And more! flowers

cazthebookworm Sat 02-May-15 17:29:12

It's the little things that mean a lot, your kind gestures made my day, thank you so much. A hug to you both.

KatyK Sat 02-May-15 12:56:08

caz - well here are some more flowers

cazthebookworm Sat 02-May-15 10:11:23

smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 02-May-15 09:56:10

smile (don't be sad now!)

cazthebookworm Sat 02-May-15 09:52:33

Oh thank you so much jing
I have never receive flowers on GN before and that brought a tear to my eyes.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 02-May-15 09:45:12

cazthebookworm ((hug)) and flowers

cazthebookworm Sat 02-May-15 09:30:52

On a down day, I tell myself, there are always people much worse off than I am. I try to count my blessing and be grateful for my life and look at the positive. It does help me.
My family, one son, grandchildren and great grandchildren are all in Australia, second son in Vietnam, so I have no family support. Life is a gift which we should value whatever our circumstances. Hope I don't sound too smug!! I do get depressed and shut myself away, but luckily it passes.. .GN has helped smile

loopylou Sat 02-May-15 06:20:29

Galen ((hugs)) and flowers x

Bellasnana Sat 02-May-15 06:14:23

Galen flowers

Mishap Fri 01-May-15 10:36:47

We can only keep going and try and see the good things around us. Grandchildren are a wonderful tonic for those of us who are blessed with them.

Anne58 Fri 01-May-15 00:24:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anne58 Thu 30-Apr-15 23:41:36

Oh bugger! Just spent some time putting together a supposed response from a campish manager, and then the whole thing went buggerup!

Did you know, that in pigin, " bugerup! is anacceptable word, as "plane gon bugger up.

Galen Thu 30-Apr-15 23:13:29

May the the twenty third will be the twelfth anniversary of my beloved husbands death.
My arthritis is so painful and debilitating that I also sometimes think that death is preferable.
The only thing that keeps me going are my darling grandchildren

Notso Thu 30-Apr-15 22:20:40

Phoenix you have such a beautiful way with words!

Thinking of you. x

Mishap Thu 30-Apr-15 20:49:15

A day at a time s the only way I think. Yesterday was bad, but today is a bit better - hanging on to the good days is the only way.

Take care phoenix flowers

Anne58 Thu 30-Apr-15 20:00:54

My thanks to all, too.

It really isn't a case of being "brave" it's just what one has to do, there are no options (well, in my case anyway, as stated before having been on the other foot, I couldn't do it because I have seen and felt first hand) Am I running the risk of oh heck, memory again! I know it isn't mixing my metaphors when referring to hands and feet in the same sentence, but I'm buggered if I can find it, although I'm fairly certain that I did blush confused

Mishap Thu 30-Apr-15 09:58:17

Thanks to all.

I am reading the book and find it interesting, not least because he has an uncanny ability to describe how it really feels and the misery that leads to a sense of desperation. But it is also a positive book - full of ideas and reassurances. And it is full of humour too. Definitely worth a read.

Maggiemaybe Thu 30-Apr-15 07:48:28

flowers for all of you who have suffered.

kittylester Thu 30-Apr-15 06:59:30

flowers to both of you. And admiration for the way you keep going in the face of such difficulties.

NfkDumpling Thu 30-Apr-15 06:27:49

flowers to all of you who have, or have come in contact with this horrible, horrible 'thing'. Monster. Depression just doesn't cover it. I have been to the edge and seen into the abyss - many years ago, but the memory hasn't left me - and tried to help two of my nearest and dearest as they fought to overcome it. Luckily I lost no one, but came close, so very close.