Gransnet forums

Chat

A little more light relief (non-political version)

(20 Posts)
janerowena Tue 12-May-15 19:23:44

I hadn't registered the 17 years part!!! That's even worse!

loopylou Tue 12-May-15 18:48:26

DH read that out to me, poor boffins, especially as the strange signals were only being picked up during working hours and no one twigged!
17 years.......!!!

AshTree Tue 12-May-15 14:39:40

Haha! Poor scientists indeed, especially as it was a student who rumbled it! Lots of egg on faces grin

janerowena Tue 12-May-15 10:13:35

That is just hilarious, poor scientists!

Eloethan Tue 12-May-15 00:52:29

This little news item in The I last Wednesday really made me laugh:

"A strange signal caught by an Australian telescope - which had baffled astrophysicists for 17 years - turned out to be generated by the office microwave. Scientists at the Australia's Parkes Observatory first observed that the mysterious signals, called perytons, were similar to intergalactic signals, but appeared to be coming from close by, and were perhaps linked to lightning strikes. A new receiver installed this year detected the frequency range of the signals was the same as that of a microwave.

A later investigation by student Eily Petroff revealed that the signals were generated by the microwave in the observatory's kitchen when the door was opened before the timer had pinged."

AshTree Mon 11-May-15 16:18:14

gringringringringrin Mishap

PRINTMISS Mon 11-May-15 16:17:23

Oh! I enjoyed it, I strongly suspect it would be enjoyed by one or two priests also, a lot of the 'clergy' seem to enjoy a joke at themselves, and some from what I remember of a t.v. programme, know some very near to the knuckle jokes.

Mishap Mon 11-May-15 16:10:34

And "a little light relief" is an interesting title for the thread. grin

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-May-15 14:56:00

And now I'm feeling really sorry for the old guy!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 11-May-15 14:55:24

Made me grin once I sorted it out. (took a minute or two hmm)

kittylester Mon 11-May-15 14:46:50

that than

kittylester Mon 11-May-15 14:46:14

I thought it was funny too AshTree and definitely funnier that the other post. grin

AshTree Mon 11-May-15 14:05:38

Absolutely right Mishap, a bit of ....hmm what would the term be .... "Jocular Licence" I imagine grin

rosesarered Mon 11-May-15 14:00:59

A good joke!grin Even though St.Paul said it was better to marry than to 'burn' priests have never been allowed to.

Juliette Mon 11-May-15 13:57:19

grin

Mishap Mon 11-May-15 13:55:30

Very good - but actually no mention of celibacy for priests in the bible I think. Invented later by some strange bods!

janerowena Mon 11-May-15 13:53:52

No, I think it's hilarious! grin

AshTree Mon 11-May-15 13:48:20

Me too,*POGS*. Think we might be the only ones wink

POGS Mon 11-May-15 13:46:54

Well I found it funny.

AshTree Mon 11-May-15 13:07:26

The Pope dies and goes to heaven where Saint Peter personally greets him at the Pearly Gates.
"Pope," says St. Peter, "you've been a truly good person so if there's anything you need or want to do up here, just let me know and I'll set you up."
"Well," the Pope says hesitantly, "there is one thing. I've always wanted to read the original version of the Bible just to see what got lost in translation."
"No problem, "says St. Peter and quickly ushers the Pope to God's Library (Special Collections Branch) where the original Bible is kept. He sits the Pope down in front of the massive tome and says "Here you go and remember, if you need anything, just call and I'll be right there." The Pope agrees and happily begins to read.
Nobody hears anything from him for years and years until one day suddenly a loud scream (followed by various and sundry curses) erupts from the Library.
Saint Peter hurries over and sees the Pope standing in front of the original Bible, pointing at a particular verse and saying "No no no" over and over again.
"What's wrong, what's wrong?" Saint Peter gasps as he hurries up to the Pope.
"It says celeBRATE, celeBRATE!!!" the Pope yells.