Gransnet forums

Chat

raising funds to say thank you

(11 Posts)
Dotsmam Thu 14-May-15 22:35:50

A group of my friends and I are having a whole year of fundraising for 3 charities. Maggie's cancer care, Alzheimer Scotland and reverse rett. I had breast cancer last year and wanted to do something to celebrate being alive and this is what we came up with. So far we have raised over £4k. Our first event was on the 3rd January and was a sponsored fancy dress surf. I would like to point out that I made the tea! We are trying to have at least one event a month and have had a bingo night (bring your own bottle) car boot sale, and pub quiz. If you can think of anything different from the normal money making schemes I would love to hear from you! We have a clay pigeon shoot, a Scottish entertainment and pudding night and a rock and wrestle evening (wrestling followed by some bands playing) all coming up in the next few months.

rubysong Thu 14-May-15 22:46:29

Our WI held a vintage afternoon tea last year and lots of people came and really enjoyed it. We borrowed embroidered tablecloths & napkins and three tier cake stands. We made sandwiches, cakes and scones and had waitresses in pinnies pouring the tea ( pretty cups and saucers). Good luck with your fund raising.

absent Thu 14-May-15 22:52:11

Charity auctions usually raise quite a lot of money. Get local shops and businesses on board with goods and services up for auction.

felice Fri 15-May-15 08:20:07

A friend and I hold a Promise Auction every two years for Christian Aid, people promise skills and time rather than items. I am doing a BBQ, other promises included use of a van with driver for an afternoon, collecting heavy shopping, cutting grass 4 times, babysitting etc. We have raised more than €2000 from it so far. If you want the details on how to set it up I can PM them to you.

PRINTMISS Fri 15-May-15 08:50:51

I am going to try a 'Knit-in'. I took part in a couple of these several years ago, and the local friends of the charity which cares for our son is looking to raise a few pounds to help with extras for a sort of 'jamboree' which is a so short holiday for people with all disabilities locally. They themselves can afford the holiday, but extras cost money. So, I am asking friends, and local craft organisations to get sponsors for knitting four inch squares over a two hour period at a local hall, where coffee and biscuits/refreshments will be available. The four inch squares will be joined together (probably by me) and given to the Salvation Army. I am not sure if it will work, it did before, so it might be an idea for you. Best of luck.

Mishap Fri 15-May-15 09:55:01

We asked the local primary school to join with a male voice choir to put on a concert and we raised £4000 in spite of being a tiny village. The presence of the children means that all the aunts and uncles, mums and dads, and grans and granpas are guaranteed to buy tickets and boost the profits.

Grannyknot Fri 15-May-15 10:13:45

dotsmam your plans all sound wonderful.

mishap what a wonderful idea. I'd have been there like a shot.

I was involved in a fundraiser where we booked out the entire local cinema (they usually will give a good rate if it's for a charity) and then hired a film (also done through the cinema) that appealed to all the family, can be a new movie or an old favourite, tickets are then sold to cover the cost + make something for the charity. It sounds ambitious but it actually worked very well. You have to sell out, though! Donations of sweets or similar can be sourced from local businesses so the offer is e.g. movie ticket + bag of sweets for X amount.

KatyK Fri 15-May-15 13:44:38

All this fund raising is great. My DH had prostate cancer last year. We did a bit of fundraising after his treatment. He did the Movember thing and he grew a moustache and got sponsored. We split the money between Prostate cancer and The MacMillan nurses who helped us greatly. We intend to do some more. He is also training as a cancer 'buddy' to assist people going through cancer alone with things like taking them to hospital appointments, sitting and chatting with them in their homes etc. Cancer is bad enough when you have the support of friends and family. I cannot imagine what it is like when you are going through it alone. Good to give something back. smile

Dotsmam Fri 15-May-15 23:09:12

Grannyknot I absolutely love the idea of a film showing! We are having a meeting on Sunday to discuss the fundraising so will bring it up then.

Felice I like the idea of the promise auction too but the rotary club do that and as we are such a small community we don't want to step on anyone's toes! This is the same with the charity auction.

We are all off selling our car boot loot tomorrow. It started off with my pal Annie and I trying to get rid of some of our " precious" stuff for our charities and now people are donating stuff for us to sell!

vampirequeen Sat 16-May-15 09:05:53

When DD1 was a teenager she was given £10 and asked to return it with a profit a month later. She used it to buy the ingredients for coconut ice which she made and sold to friends and family. She was so successful she gave them £50 back. Other people used the money in different ways but all gave back more than they'd been given.

KatyK Sat 16-May-15 11:51:35

Slightly off subject, but talking of giving something back. After my nephew died of leukemia, my DH went on the bone marrow register and was called as a near match for a lady in France. He donated his bone marrow to her. She had two young children and sent him a letter via the charity with which he signed up saying that she could never thank him enough for giving her the chance to live. Sadly she didn't make it. sad