Gransnet forums

Chat

Naturism - would you, could you?

(81 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 29-Jun-15 15:29:44

Not sure if anyone else read this on the BBC News site. www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33286120

Fascinating - I particularly liked the line (about one nudist resort) "There's even a dry cleaner - I don't know what they dry clean though"

Seat covers presumably grin grin grin

I imagine that it must be very liberating - whether I would do it in front of a bunch of strangers though? To use a cliche...pigs will fly

Baz909 Tue 24-May-16 20:17:04

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

rubylady Fri 03-Jul-15 23:50:21

I would do this, it would be freeing. It's only a body after all.

janerowena Fri 03-Jul-15 14:25:47

grin But of course!

Galen Thu 02-Jul-15 22:13:51

What else does a ladee need to wear!

As long as they're good pearls!

janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 21:56:21

I bet Galen kept her pearls on.

janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 21:55:51

They are, BiL said that they are very much worn for BBQs. grin People do wear clothes, especially if the weather turns chilly. I suppose they had about nine years of going on holiday twice a year, I wonder if they will be as keen to go once my niece no longer holidays with them. He and SiL said that the biggest favour it did them, was to be more health and body-conscious. I found that a big minus, he found it a plus.

Ana Thu 02-Jul-15 21:45:58

I'd just be trying to avoid the hot fat spashes! Would aprons be allowed, d'you think...?

janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 21:35:36

BBQs - I wouldn't be safe. My mouth would be cracking hot sausage jokes before I had a chance to shut it up.

Galen Thu 02-Jul-15 21:23:00

Not saying!

annodomini Thu 02-Jul-15 20:47:15

Or did they all see you in the altogether as well, Galen?

Luckygirl Thu 02-Jul-15 20:33:08

Best not to have a BBQ!

Galen Thu 02-Jul-15 19:56:56

That'd be telling!grin

annodomini Thu 02-Jul-15 19:11:25

That would be in a professional capacity, Galen?

Galen Thu 02-Jul-15 18:17:28

Probably seen more people nude than I've had hot dinners
Doesn't bother me

TerriBull Thu 02-Jul-15 17:52:57

I remember falling asleep on a beach in France back in the early 1970s when I was still an easily shocked teenager and not really aware that nudity/semi nudity was quite de rigueur in France. We weren't on a nudist beach by any means. I work up suddenly and quite dis orientated to be confronted by an older man's dingly danglies. Alarming! blush At the time it made me wish for the safety of Woolacombe where I had been the year before, it might have lacked the cuisine and sunshine but I remember thinking I could be sure that naked bodies, would have the grace to heave about under a voluminous towel before he/she emerged fully attired in their swimmers!

Ana Thu 02-Jul-15 16:38:44

Pubes in the Pick'n'Mix! shock

janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 16:34:12

And the nude shopping - who is to know whose meat and veg dangled into your onions only moments before you picked them up?

vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 15:42:53

I don't think it's a natural instinct to cover up. Once they reach a certain age children realise that other people are clothed.

I don't think volleyball is an obligatory part of naturism and I'm sure they let you sit in the shade grin.

annodomini Thu 02-Jul-15 15:29:58

I am trying to imagine what it would be like smothering all of me with sunscreen. And I don't have anyone who would want to assist in that task. Swimming in the nude is lovely, as long as the water is warm. I recommend the Indian Ocean.

janerowena Thu 02-Jul-15 15:05:19

For a start, I burn easily, it makes sense to stay covered in hot sun. I wouldn't want to be uncovered anywhere chilly either, so it doesn't leave much scope. Then, clothes are so useful, with pockets and things. They also act as sweat absorbers. My children went naked in the garden until they were about seven, and then completely of their own accord, they started to want to keep their clothes on, and wear swimming costumes at the beach. As that seems pretty general, I think there must be some kind of natural instinct to cover up.

And who wants to run the risk of burnt 'bits'? shock

Ana Thu 02-Jul-15 14:06:29

Or our own! grin

rosesarered Thu 02-Jul-15 14:05:08

We might put someone's eye out !

Ana Thu 02-Jul-15 13:56:19

Exactly! No nude beach volleyball for me...shock

rosesarered Thu 02-Jul-15 13:52:37

I do agree that swimming in the nude is a great feeling, but as for sitting about or walking about, playing sports etc no way!

vampirequeen Thu 02-Jul-15 12:18:18

Doesn't naturism make more sense when it's hot? Would we all be more comfortable if we allowed our skin to do it's job and use evaporation to help us cool down instead of trapping the heat in our clothing and mafting instead?