Gransnet forums

Chat

Wimbledon

(17 Posts)
Jomarie Tue 30-Jun-15 23:45:10

On the other hand nice to see Roger Fed got through again - will enjoy watching his tennis (and physique) for a little longer!!! grin

Jomarie Tue 30-Jun-15 23:43:52

The highlight for me, so far, was hearing Virginia Wade complaining about a female tennis player not getting her serves in (two double faults) and saying it was not good enough (or words to that effect) - Pot and Kettle sprang to mind (as well as a good many other expletives) anyone else remember being driven mad by her "faults" ? How she can now sit back and criticize others, without any apparent embarrassment or understanding, is abhorrent to me - whereas Martina Nav. is so empathetic when she comments on any of the players' performance - good or bad. Might just be me and my memory.

vampirequeen Tue 30-Jun-15 22:09:49

Perhaps his apparent lack of emotion reminds you of an alien from Dr Who grin

hildajenniJ Tue 30-Jun-15 19:16:07

Why do I have to watch Andy Murray from behind the sofa? grin

etheltbags1 Tue 30-Jun-15 18:52:58

is no-one going to be wound up by my comments. HuH.

I know we are all different and of course some of you love the tennis, as I said I have tried it but its not for me but for those of you who like it I hope you enjoy it. I guess I can find something else to do for the next week or so. smile

etheltbags1 Tue 30-Jun-15 18:25:10

Is there any programme on afternoon tv that requires more then one brain cell to understand, if so please tell me.

durhamjen Mon 29-Jun-15 23:04:33

How many channels have you all got?
Do you have to watch television at all in the afternoon?
I spent the afternoon walking round a Woodland Trust place. Lots of Spotted Orchids to photograph.

Lilygran Mon 29-Jun-15 21:48:20

Too much tennis! Especially now we've all been forced to go digital. Tennis slightly better than F1.

Brendawymms Mon 29-Jun-15 20:52:20

Bring back the TV. One channel is quite enough for one sport.
Now I'm retired I structure a lot of my afternoon around the PM programmes. Now I'm all at sea.

etheltbags1 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:37:03

grrrr it has come around again. I remember being slated by all of you tennis fans last year because I said it was like watching paint dry.

Ok you can all say it again, however I have tried last year I did watch some but I could not understand the rules and don't know who the players are so I got bored.

So I will say it again it is boring, dull and just like watching paint dry, I just want to watch ordinary tv. At least last year I was working now I am forced to miss my normal tv on my favourite channels.

Just one question why is it so quiet, other sports have fans cheering the side on, has anyone noticed how quiet it is, why don't they cheer.

vampirequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 17:13:20

Sorry I couldn't remember his name blush.

KatyK Mon 29-Jun-15 17:10:07

Can't stand tennis or most sports really. We went to Wimbledon once (free tickets from the firm DH worked at). I was bored witless but did feel guilty that some people would have loved to have had my ticket.

merlotgran Mon 29-Jun-15 17:08:14

grin vq. You can mention Andy Murray's name (I think)

He's not Macbeth.

vampirequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 17:04:32

Can't stand tennis but the wall to wall coverage is only for two weeks so I can live with it as long as I can record other programmes to watch when it's on.

Is the Scottish lad British atm? I've noticed he's British when he's winning and Scottish when he loses grin

whenim64 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:53:07

.....the game, that is. Not the match.

whenim64 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:51:34

Yes, love tennis and it's good to be able to switch between matches. Sorry, Brenda but I feel the same when it's the World Cup. This fortnight is the TV highlight of my year. Hewitt just about to win - must go tennis

Brendawymms Mon 29-Jun-15 15:56:23

Are you Tennis fanatics, lovers, worshippers or like me are you indifferent or angey at the wall to wall coverage on BBC 1 and 2? Does it really have to be shown on both channels all afternoon.