Gransnet forums

Chat

World overpopulation

(107 Posts)
soontobe Fri 10-Jul-15 10:51:49

I think that the world has become overpopulated.

People are migrating, and no country on earth seems to want to take them.
Some people say that we should share. The UK is a relatively weathly country compared to the world, and yet many people use food banks and rely on benefits, in part as there are not enough jobs for everyone.

Some people say the UK is the 6th wealthiest country, but going by google, we appear to be a bit lower than that.
www.worldsrichestcountries.com/
But we are hardly the poorest nation, and still we have problems.

If countries go in for sharing, and there are already so many hunger problems around the world, more population isnt likely to improve matters anytime soon.

I know this is a simplified post, but bearing in mind lots of threads lately, I shall be having discussions with my own kids about world overpopulation, and for them to bear this in mind when they consider how many children to have.
I am in no wayn trying to say what is right for everyone. Everyones' family and circumstances are different.
Myself and my husband come from a long line of large families.
I think that it is time to take stock of where the world is at as far as my family is concerned.

I have never really taken much time to consider the issue of world overpopulation until now. My own time has come.

durhamjen Fri 10-Jul-15 22:05:19

Even in this country paganism has lasted longer than Christianity. You do not even have to think about Mesopotamia.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 22:08:50

I think there might be a few more Christians around than Pagans.

durhamjen Fri 10-Jul-15 22:15:34

It doesn't matter how many there are. Vampire was pointing out that Paganism is older than Christianity, the opposite of what you said. I agree with her, paganism is older.
No idea how many pagans there are, but there are probably far more pretend Christians than true ones.

Anya Fri 10-Jul-15 22:37:14

Light the blue touch paper and retire.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 22:44:26

moon

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 22:47:39

Before I go though - we all know pagans were here first. I don't remember saying otherwise. I actually said, "The problem is that Christianity is a religion far more native to these shores than Islam." Alright, perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'native'.

Go and pick nits somewhere else. hmm

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 10-Jul-15 22:51:06

and so to bed

Eloethan Fri 10-Jul-15 23:34:35

TriciaF I don't think your statement that "Muslims don't practise birth control" is correct. Some Muslims may choose not to but, from what I have read, contraception is not proscribed within the Islamic religion.

Despite your protestations that the statements re famine and population control did not reflect your views but were merely a summary of something you had read, what about your final sentence:

So it's difficult to "do something about it" without being accused of ethnic cleansing.

I don't know if Riverwalk still thinks your post was outrageous, but I certainly do.

durhamjen Fri 10-Jul-15 23:52:32

"I think Christianity has lasted longer than paganism."

Quote from jingl. For her to read tomorrow.

TriciaF Sat 11-Jul-15 23:21:10

OK Eleothan, here's the article I was quoted which is very relevant to this topic. I was shocked too when I read it:
africaunauthorised.com/?p=1311
I thought it followed logically that any action based on this view would be regarded as ethnic cleansing.
But if the facts in the article are correct it's a frightening scenario.

absent Sat 11-Jul-15 23:48:29

People are migrating, and no country on earth seems to want to take them.

Over-population is not the cause of a migration problem and lots of people from many different countries migrate to many other different countries all the time. Presumably, the issue to which you are referring is that no country in Europe wants to take in destitute Africans and no country on the Pacific rim wants to take in their South-east Asian counterparts.

vampirequeen Sun 12-Jul-15 00:18:37

Most of those people are migrating through fear of violence and war. No one wants to take them.....reminds me of how no one wanted to take the Jews before WWII. We are very selfish in the developed world.

Eloethan Sun 12-Jul-15 00:31:25

TriciaF I think the article is sickening and racist:

"AFRICA is giving nothing to anyone outside Africa — apart from AIDS and new disease."

(Where does this man think the world gets the vast proportion of its precious minerals from? And does the ordinary African benefit from the back breaking, dirty and dangerous job of retrieving these minerals?)

"The wide-eyed boy-child we saved, 20 years or so ago, is now a low IQ, AK 47-bearing moron, siring children whenever the whim takes him, and blaming the world because he is uneducated, poor and left behind. There is no doubt a good argument why we should prolong this predatory and dysfunctional economic, social and sexual system but I do not know what it is."

"But, please, please, you self-righteously wrathful, spare me mention of our own Irish Famine, with this or that lazy analogy. There is no comparison. Within 20 years of the Famine, the Irish population was down by 30%. Over the equivalent period, thanks to Western food, the Mercedes 10-wheel truck and the Lockheed Hercules planes, Ethiopia’s population has more than doubled."

(The Irish population was down by 30% after the Irish Famine presumably because hundreds of thousands of people had died or, those that were able, had emigrated. It seems the writer thinks such an outcome would be an acceptable solution for the "Africa problem".)

What exactly do you mean by "any action based on this view would be regarded as ethnic cleansing?" What action would you propose - forced sterilisation of Africans or the withdrawal of food aid?

TriciaF Sun 12-Jul-15 08:59:08

For goodness sake Eloethan, of course not shock I think it's a horrible racist article too, could hardly believe it when I read it. I saw it on a discussion of immigration on another forum and thought it was very provocative.
But if this thinking took hold ethnic cleansing would be the result.
I doubt that many of the facts are correct.
Do you think the world is overpopulated? If so, what would you do about it? I have no idea, just glad I won't be around long enough to see the consequences.
And water shortage is likely to be more of a problem than lack of food.

vampirequeen Sun 12-Jul-15 11:20:27

I don't think the world is over populated. It's more likely that the wealth and resources of the world are in the hands of the few leaving the majority to struggle and/or die.

crun Sun 12-Jul-15 18:17:59

Have a shufty here

vampirequeen Sun 12-Jul-15 19:25:32

That was really interesting, crun, and really puts things into perspective.

TriciaF Mon 13-Jul-15 15:41:17

Yes a very interesting talk. Must admit I was wrong about several things (eg Muslims in some countries are trying to limit their families.)
Africa still seems to be behind the rest of the world but catching up.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 15:49:48

It is just as daft to generalise about 'the Muslims' as it is about 'the Christians' - really. They come in all shapes and sizes, and it is the local culture and customs of their region which dominates, not Islam per say. There are still many Christian groups that encourage a very high birth rate, for instance. When I was a child here, Catholics were in the minority (about 10 %) and were encouraged to have huge families to try and balance numbers (11+ children being the norm).

When I did my teaching Degree as a mature student, with Environmental Studies as one of the subjects (+French and German)- our main lecturer insisted that population growth is THE only determining factor re all the other environmental issues, ressources, global warming, etc, etc. We all tried to argue with him, but now 40+ years later, i realise he was probably right. In the Obama interview, David Attenborough also confirms that this has a huge influence on global warming and pollution - and Obama says that the education of women is paramount in limiting birth rate.

durhamjen Mon 13-Jul-15 16:28:42

That's what we were taught in the seventies, granjura, but you were not allowed to say so from then on. Choice has been the buzzword since then. Of course that only applies to the wealthy, not the ones whose children are likely to die from malnutrition or disease.
How many children does Attenborough have?

durhamjen Mon 13-Jul-15 16:30:21

Found out; just two, like Obama. They do as they say, which is refreshing.

Eloethan Mon 13-Jul-15 17:28:18

Thank you for that really interesting link crun. I'm about half way through and am going out shortly but will watch the rest tomorrow. Did you watch the video granjura? It puts the lid on a lot of preconceived ideas about fertility rates in the developing world.

vampirequeen Mon 13-Jul-15 19:09:26

I'm afraid I got the answers wrong to all the questions but I bet I'm not the only one. I had no idea the average number of children per family in Bangladesh was 2.2. I assumed it was much higher.

granjura Mon 13-Jul-15 21:45:07

no I havent yet Eloethan- been cleaning, clearing, washing, ironing and decorating. One lot of visitors gone yesterday, others arriving on Wednesday- lots to do. But will do - sounds very interesting.

dj I did my Degree from 79 to 82.

The world is over populated particularl because of the increasing desire for energy guzzling and polluting cars, planes and luxury foods worst being red meat- especially as most of the animal, the offal and lower cuts, are wasted.

Ana Mon 13-Jul-15 21:55:21

The world is over populated particularl because of the increasing desire for energy guzzling and polluting cars, planes and luxury foods worst being red meat- especially as most of the animal, the offal and lower cuts, are wasted.

Could you explain that statement please, granjura? I don't see the logic in it.