Gransnet forums

Chat

Old TV jingles

(122 Posts)
NannyJanny53 Mon 14-Sep-15 13:44:33

The thread about the cost of cleaning carpets set off the old '1001 cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown' advert in my head and it made me wonder whether I was brainwashed by ITV as a child. I still believe a Mars a day helps me work rest and play and that Pal dog food prolongs active life! Anyone else still wondering where the yellow went after brushing their teeth with Pepsodent?

elasticatedslacks Thu 31-Oct-19 21:53:55

I remember potato puffs!

Berlei has a bra for the way you are. And there was another one about a corset with panels which Ive forgotten.

Lillme Wed 30-Oct-19 19:30:37

Does anyone remember Potato Puffs.
They sold them at my infant/primary school 50 or so yes ago. I'm sure they cist an old sixpence and were in a red packet.

timetogo2016 Wed 30-Oct-19 10:47:23

Most of the above and they still make me smile.
Me and the husband talk about old adverts and sweeties/chocolate.
And the tuck shop in school we used to buy either a tea cake or a jammie dodger .
Bring back the good old days as they make us smile.

GabriellaG54 Tue 29-Oct-19 07:06:43

Does your coffee and chat with friends turn into an overnight with BnB?

callgirl1 Mon 28-Oct-19 23:44:38

I've still got my whimsies, some from 1963/4. The first ad started with someone saying "Pssst, want a kitten?"

GabriellaG54 Mon 28-Oct-19 18:31:47

'Good news, good news, everybody's wearing Panda shoes.
P A N D A, wear Pa-an-daaa

Lillme Mon 28-Oct-19 18:16:54

My mum used to buy Fairy Liquid so I could have the Whimsies, my fav was the Bush baby.
I don't know what happened to them but I remember putting the fish one at the side of a pond I made in the garden for a gold fish that got too big for its bowl. The fish lived foe 7 years but my Whimsey disappeared without a trace.

Lillme Mon 28-Oct-19 18:06:48

How do you do it Stanley ?
It Tankard that helps me excel l, after one I do anything well

haporthrosie Fri 25-Sep-15 13:13:50

Sorry all, know I've gone on far too much already. Wanted to post this separately as it's slightly off-topic (I'm very good at going off-topic I'm afraid.)

This conversation brought to mind something from one of my favourite books, Eric Morecambe's 'Mr. Lonely.' When a character is very abruptly and heartlessly told (by a policeman via telephone) of her husband's unexpected death, she sits down and quietly sings the Cadbury's 'Nuts, whole hazel nuts' song to herself three times over.

Perhaps I take things too seriously but I found this very ... allright, I'll say it, humanly profound. It's never left me. But then I found the entire book oddly haunting. It's funny (humourous) in many ways but keeps reverberating within me, always making me think. It's never moralizing, but for some reason 'morally haunting' is how I always think of it.

If you haven't read it please don't let this put you off, as it's a delightful read. Incredibly funny but also much more. Morecambe could really write.

This isn't merely singing the praises of a beloved book. The reason I brought it up is because it seems a perfect example of what NannyJanny was partly getting at (if my understanding was correct) in her original post: how deeply advertising has become part of us. In the midst of death we are still in adverts.

Enormous apologies for bringing this into such a jolly discussion!

On a happier note, for the benefit of anyone who hasn't read them, all of Eric Morecambe's books are (in one's humble opinion) astonishingly good. 'Stella' is his other (very accomplished) novel for grown-ups or possibly even teens, depending on taste. 'The Reluctant Vampire' and 'The Vampire's Revenge' are sheer joy, delight, and beauty for any age. Almost always devoured/adored/re-read by children and grands.

Funny, this has almost come back to jingles: whenever the little Thames Television tune runs through my head, which it does with alarming regularity, I always hear it as 'Here they are now, Morecambe and Wise!' Oh how I miss those men.

Hope this hasn't bored and/or annoyed everyone senseless. I can be really annoyingly enthusiastic. blush

Thank you for your patience lovely Gransnet people.

haporthrosie Fri 25-Sep-15 12:03:35

grin Oh thank you NannyJanny golly this is fun! grin

Um-Bongo, Um-Bongo, they drink it in the Congo: the python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mango

Anchor(the green, green grass) butter (they were happy cows who chewed the cud & grazed if memory serves)

Jack Hylton's 'Grasshopper's Dance' for the Milk Marketing Board ... 'Emp-ties!'

R. White's Lemonade, Club, a Finger of Fudge, Carling Black Label

Mild green Fairy Liquid (I look just like Nanette Newman when I wash up ha!)

'Graded grains make better flour' (indeed they do; how wistfully lovely the Homepride men were).

'Aqua-Fresh has all three, three-in-one protection for your family'

Not jingles but things that stuck: Thora Hird for Mother's Pride, Nicola Pagett saying she needed soft skin because she's a woman, Barclaycard it does more than you'd credit, J.R. Hartey 'Fly Fishing,' the Philadelphia girl, marvelous Irn Bru spoof of American rubbish, 'Luton Airport' (one of the all-time greats!), 'Go to Work on an Egg,' 'Haze Pomander' dear old Basil Brush.

Thank you VampireQueen for reminding me of the milk/Accrington Stanley one! Utterly marvelous!

Daffydil you may be interested to know that the spilling the drink business in the Cinzano adverts was Leonard Rossiter's idea. Sheer brilliance; thank you for bringing back the memories. Wish they'd re-run those.

Fetelbaum how very exciting about the Sooty/Oxo campaign! Harry Corbett's one of my heroes so it was nice to learn about that. Thank you. Congratulate yourself on a job well done!

What a relief to know that others hate these sounds that pass for voices. Not only torture to the ear but a dangerous example to be setting to young women. 'Remember that you are a human being, with the divine gifts of thought and articulate speech' ... sorry GBS if I'm misquoting from 'Pygmalion.'

Funny, I rail against the advertising industry but miss the old adverts so much. There was joy and pleasantness in them, things that could be enjoyed by everyone, and some very good performances by people with real talent. Yes we were being influenced, but at least it was done with life and humour. The more subliminal form used now is infinitely worse in my opinion. If they're going to manipulate us - and Heaven knows they are - they should at least have the decency to make it enjoyable!

Thanks to all for the lovely memories.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 23-Sep-15 01:12:10

Sorry, looks like I was wrong - it's 1955 so it is 60 years. Must get my hearing checked!

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 23-Sep-15 00:29:58

Pretty sure it is 50 because it was 1965 and my little brother who was born that year is 50 next Tuesday.

ninathenana Tue 22-Sep-15 23:46:19

Is it 50 or 60 ?
Difference of opinion above.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 22-Sep-15 23:27:52

I saw the Gibbs SR advert on the news tonight and you could only see it if you lived in the wider London area when ITV started this day 50 years ago. We were still in Scotland then and I think we had a TV.

The advert did look familiar though, so I suspect some variation was shown for several years. We got a colour TV when Scotland was in the World Cup - 1974 maybe? grin

ninathenana Tue 22-Sep-15 22:39:25

We had a TV but I was only 18mths old grin so no I don't remember it.

numberplease Tue 22-Sep-15 22:32:38

We didn`t have a TV then, but I remember it being in the newspapers at the time.

shysal Tue 22-Sep-15 08:59:05

I don't remember the Gibbs one. When a neighbour was the first to get ITV, my friends and I all trooped round to watch the Murraymints ad. Never mind the programmes!

janeainsworth Tue 22-Sep-15 08:26:35

Just listening on the Today Programme to s discussion about the very first TV advert - Gibbs SR toothpaste.
Today commercial television is 60 years old.
Does anyone remember it? We didn't have a telly.

NannyJanny53 Sun 20-Sep-15 12:56:30

KatyK, my mum was given a £5 note in a purse for having a certain brand of soap powder in the house when a rep called. He was wearing a suit of armour for some unknown reason! I think the soap powder must have been Tide or Surf because they were the only powders she used. £5 was a lot of money in those days, the purse was only plastic though.

I remember those plastic flowers, we had some red poppies.

numberplease Sat 19-Sep-15 23:03:06

KatyK, I collected those plastic flowers! After a while, I realised just how hideous they looked, and gave them to my MIL, who loved them!

KatyK Sat 19-Sep-15 14:46:40

I used to love oxo flavoured crisps. Does anyone remember plastic flowers being given away with washing powder? Also there was a brand of washing powder (I think it was Fairy Snow) and every now and again they would send a representative to certain streets and if you had a box of Fairy Snow in your window they would knock the door and give you a cash prize. I can see all those packets of Fairy Snow in windows now. No one every got a prize smile

ninathenana Sat 19-Sep-15 08:37:27

Nope can't say that I do feetlebum what decade was that ?

feetlebaum Sat 19-Sep-15 07:50:10

Does anyone remember Sooty selling Oxo? In the runup to the opening of commercial TV in UK I was working as a studio boy in an advertising agency - we won an international prize for that Sooty campaign! I remember all the Oxo bigwigs in the board room being charmed by Harry Corbett and his little teddy bear...

feetlebaum Sat 19-Sep-15 07:46:40

@annsixty - "Dr Google says it's Heineken feetle" Ah - thank you - that sounds about right!

Remember Peter Sellers voicing "Omo adds brightness to cleanness and whiteness!"?

"Cheese, please, Louise!"

susiemac Fri 18-Sep-15 09:07:32

Johnson's are the polishes for furniture and floors