I am glad to be British because

(341 Posts)
soontobe Sat 03-Oct-15 20:19:38

Relative freedom
Relative peace
Relative good health service etc

Anyone else?

soontobe Sun 04-Oct-15 07:29:10

I was going to come on and post about the greenery, countryside and coast but others have already done so.

Our soil is relatively good, our politeness as a nation is relatively good.

Grannyknot Sun 04-Oct-15 07:57:01

Dj pulleese, not on this thread.

I have dual nationality. So the British part of me is glad to be British because:

It is safe here (well, where I live it is) and people are friendly.
I am continually amazed and impressed by the green spaces in the cities, especially the parks in London. They are almost held sacred.
I am wild about Scotland.
There are opportunities to do almost anything you want to do.
I love autumn in England.
I love it when I see the first flowers in Spring.

PRINTMISS Sun 04-Oct-15 08:02:46

Yes. Grannyknot can we please have a thread without politics? I am British, never thought much about that, I am what I am, I love the country, and find the people on the whole a friendly helpful bunch, willing to live and let live. Freedom above all, I think.

Humbertbear Sun 04-Oct-15 08:36:51

Freedom of worship
Freedom of speech
Freedom to vote
Freedom to get an education
Free healthcare
Justice system free from corruption
Freedom for women to be equal citizens

As my 9 year old grand daughter 'I'm proud to British. It's a good place to live'

SueDoku Sun 04-Oct-15 08:49:56

How can you discuss your country without mentioning politics..? The people praising the NHS are all, I presume, about to get a terrible shock when it vanishes..! Please don't come on here doing what Terry Wogan used to call 'You never miss your Mother 'til she's buried 'neath the clay '...hmm
I would agree with many things mentioned by pp, but they are going to really miss the 'safety net' created in 1948...shock

soontobe Sun 04-Oct-15 08:55:59

The clue is in the "I am glad to be British because"
If anyone is not glad to be British because, they are more than welcome to start a new thread about it.

libra10 Sun 04-Oct-15 08:56:51

I think the irreverent British sense of humour has to be one of our greatest traits!

granjura Sun 04-Oct-15 09:13:30

Absolutely and I fell for it head over heels. Anyone else here glad and proud to have dual nationality

beautiful countryside which is so varied
beautiful vernacular architecture
multicultural tolerance
huge variety of foods
NHS and so much more

lacwhedy Sun 04-Oct-15 09:28:51

I am proud to be British because I was not born here But became so after 4 years in the WAAF (Air Force) during the war and now have British children , Grandchildren and one great grand child so we are quite a Clan!!

BRedhead59 Sun 04-Oct-15 09:34:47

I have travelled a great deal but have never wanted to live any where else for hundreds of reasons.

dorsetpennt Sun 04-Oct-15 10:09:48

Unless you have lived in a country without a National Health Service and expense health care insurance, don't knock the NHS. It has it's faults but when I was a young divorced mother with two children, one of whom was a sickly child, it was a boon . I like being British as we live in a democratic country that looks after it's citizens.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 10:14:02

A nice, positive thread, stb
Please could posters who want to introduce a sour note about politics go and start another thread on the political threads with their lemons. Please. This is 'Chat'.

Ps and Qs and queues

Anyone who has travelled a lot will be used to people in other countries barging their way through or pushing you aside, generally speaking the British are much more polite.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Oct-15 10:20:16

I loved that pome when I was a child and I love it now. Sod patronising and un-PC. Yes, from A Child's Garden of Verses by RLS. (I've still got my book) smile

Gracesgran Sun 04-Oct-15 10:25:37

I can't tell you how strange the OP appears to me. It's a bit like the Queen saying she is glad to be the queen; it is an accident of birth and nothing more. I like living in this country (mostly) and I feel lucky to have been born British (mostly) but do realise there are many other nationalities I could be comfortable if I had been born to them. I have to say it is not, in any way, something I would think - but obviously others do. It takes all sorts as they say.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Oct-15 10:25:46

Also, following on from rosequarz, can we please not mention Terry Wogan on this thread.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Oct-15 10:27:11

Has anyone mentioned fish and chips. No one does it quite like the Chinese round here we do.

Indinana Sun 04-Oct-15 10:32:26

I am proud to be British for all the reasons given above.
We are so lucky to be able to live without fear - either of our fellow men or of natural disasters which rarely reach these shores.
We are so lucky to live among people who are, generally, polite and pleasant. Some of the rudest people I met were, ironically, in the queue to enter St Peter's in Rome. Shocking behaviour by people of all nationalities, shamelessly pushing in and then looking blankly at anyone who remonstrated, or shouting back at them and refusing to move to the end of the queue.
We are so lucky to have plenty to eat - and plenty of variety to choose from; to have a temperate climate which makes our country so beautiful and colourful; to have a justice system that is not corrupt; to have free schooling; and yes to have a good NHS.
To feel, on the whole, safe.
I have travelled quite a lot, but whenever I come home I look at our country with new eyes, every time, and know I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Indinana Sun 04-Oct-15 10:32:47

What a lovely thread! Thanks soon for starting this smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Oct-15 10:34:28

Flip me roseq! I hope it's not banned from British schools!!! It's Robert Louis Stevenson! (Going back to the poem) You can't ban anything from our greatest and best poets.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Oct-15 10:36:20

Is unthinking PC-ness exclusive to the Brits? Or do you find it everywhere?

Elegran Sun 04-Oct-15 10:42:32

PC, patronising, oldfashioned, whateva - but a lot of little all-sorts-of-nationalities, and big ones too, do seem to think that they would like to live in Britain. We must be getting something right.

Gracesgran Sun 04-Oct-15 10:45:44

A nice, positive thread, stb Please could posters who want to introduce a sour note about politics go and start another thread on the political threads with their lemons. Please. This is 'Chat'.

If you hadn't commented in this way rosequartz I would not have replied as I am about to. You may, of course, ask people not to reply in a particular way but others may, of course, wish to reply to what has been put to them - all of those on the forum.

I do not see this as a "nice, positive thread". To me it sounds empirical and slightly xenophobic but I do realise that is part of some of the "British" way of thinking.

Indinana Sun 04-Oct-15 10:46:29

It is a children's poem! As I child I used to think like that. Much the same as feeling sorry for all my friends because their mum wasn't as good as my mum.

rosequartz Sun 04-Oct-15 10:51:40

Terry Wogan? I didn't mention him - anyway he's Irish!

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 04-Oct-15 10:59:20

Someone did. It was probably Gracesgran.