Gransnet forums

Chat

Common usage of words that drive me nuts.......

(96 Posts)
Raniji Mon 12-Oct-15 21:30:12

Whatever happened to the perfectly good and active verb, "Lie"? As in "I'm going to go lie down for awhile....." The poor, neglected verb has been replaced by the use of "lay" - for just about everything! I even hear it on BBC and NPR - help!

Ana Wed 14-Oct-15 12:37:59

Yes - I took it that it was the words that drove the OP nuts. If it was their usage, it would have been 'drives'. But as you say, Elegran, it could be either or both!

Nonnie Wed 14-Oct-15 12:58:16

I also get irritated by 'can' instead of 'may' and when an assistant asks 'can I help you' I so often want to say 'isn't that your job?' but of course I don't!

Not quite what the OP meant but the thing that really irritates me is PIN number!!!

Mamie Wed 14-Oct-15 13:09:21

Why would you put usage in the sentence if it is just the words that drive you nuts? I don't think the words do drive the OP nuts in the right context. Anything wrong with lay in relation to hens?
It is usage (or misusage) that is the important idea here.

Ana Wed 14-Oct-15 13:17:07

I think the fact that the OP didn't put an 's' on drives indicates that he/she meant that it was the common usage of 'words that drive me nuts' that was objected to.

Why would anyone say that the common usage of words drives them nuts? confused Don't we all use common words every day?

Ana Wed 14-Oct-15 13:18:00

Or commonly use words - getting in knots here! grin

Mamie Wed 14-Oct-15 13:30:07

Surely the grammatical point is that the verb should agree with the subject of the sentence.
You could try:
Misused words that drive me nuts.
Erroneous words that drive me nuts.
Deeply inelegant sentences that drive me nuts. grin

Elegran Wed 14-Oct-15 13:37:20

Lie and lay are words that trip people up. It is because they are really two different verbs. It is the old confusion of transitive and intransitive verbs.

You (present tense) lie down, and yesterday (past tense) you lay down. That is an intransitive verb - no object to the sentence.

You (present tense) lay a table, lay an egg, lay down rules - a transitive verb with an object to the sentence, the thing that you lay. The past tense of THAT lay is laid - "the chicken laid an egg"

You can lay an egg or a table, you can lay a pretty girl, you can lay down your arms or your life, but when you lie down you do it without an object.

It doesn't help that the past of "lie is "lay"

"Mother always lays the table before she lies down for a nap"
"Santa laid his gifts by the fireplace as the children lay sleeping."

Elegran Wed 14-Oct-15 13:40:06

The title of this thread is not a sentence. Most of it is the dependent clause starting with "that" - the only verb is in that clause. Whether the clause is dependent on "usage" ir "words" in not defined.

Elegran Wed 14-Oct-15 13:40:43

Mamies examples are not sentences either.

feetlebaum Wed 14-Oct-15 13:55:30

Apricot - I salute you! The dreaded 'pee' has embarrassed me from it's inception. And then insult was piled on injury by those who spoke of 'one pence' - including the boy Blair in a broadcast parliamentary statement...

Are we the only people in the world, this happy breed that don't know what our own currency is called?

But the grammarians should remember that their function is to describe the language as it is used, not to set arbitrary rules ('split infinitive', anybody?) for us...

Mamie Wed 14-Oct-15 14:05:00

If we look at what is implied here....
This / That is a common usage of words that drives me nuts?
Surely not, "these are a common usage of words that drive me nuts". It would have to be "these are common usages" don't you think?

Falconbird Wed 14-Oct-15 14:13:17

I don't like it when people say "like" instead of "such as". For example they say "countries like Britain" when it should countries "such as Britain."

Elegran Wed 14-Oct-15 14:13:22

Usages sounds clumsy to me. I think "usage" here is like "use".

Elegran Wed 14-Oct-15 14:16:31

"The usage of words that drive me nuts . . ." - "is to deplored"?

We could go round this all day!

Mamie Wed 14-Oct-15 14:22:40

I think the fundamental problem here is the usage of usage. Misuse would be far better and "I deplore the misuse of common words", would be a much more appropriate and elegant title for pedants. grin

Elegran Wed 14-Oct-15 14:23:29

grin

TriciaF Wed 14-Oct-15 14:44:21

"Speak proper!" - reminds me of a Geordie joke.
Jackie Broon won £1m on the pools and decided to spend it on a good education for his son, Geordie. So he went to see the HT of the Royal Grammar school and said " This is wor Geordie - Aa want ye t'larn 'im te speak proper."
"Very well Mr. Brown" replied the HT. "We'll see what we can do. Come back at the end of term."
So Jackie goes back at the end of term, into the HT's office, and the HT says to him:
"Divvn't ye taalk te me aboot Geordie Broon!"

jeberdes83 Wed 14-Oct-15 17:37:06

"Them" instead of these or those! i.e. those things, not them things!!!

ecci53 Thu 15-Oct-15 10:18:03

Everyone on the BBC who says 'ahead of' instead of 'before'. It's so annoying. Why can't they just say before?

Also, when they describe the local new as 'the news where you are' because it isn't where I am, its just local news.

elfies Thu 15-Oct-15 10:19:02

I dislike intensely the talk on TV shows of 'Drawrings ' especially in the DIY and building programmes .

Napoleon Thu 15-Oct-15 10:23:27

Uz. Used frequently by presenters on radio,tv, it drives me mad.

Thebeeb Thu 15-Oct-15 10:36:52

Not sure why but 'some time soon' and 'any time soon' drive me nuts.

KatyK Thu 15-Oct-15 11:00:45

When in a café and people ask the assistant 'Can I get a coffee?'

sue01 Thu 15-Oct-15 11:04:11

What drives me absolutely bonkers... and with cold weather on the way, it's going to start cropping up again...

"wrap up warm"

aaaarrrrgh.... even the BBC do it !!

Whatever happened to adverbs ????

Cosafina Thu 15-Oct-15 11:17:26

Ah grans, you are all adorable! I thought I was alone in my pedantry.... sigh! smile