Gransnet forums

Chat

Microwaved swede

(17 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 27-Aug-19 17:52:27

Microwaved marrow is great too. Cooks super fast tho. V easy to over cook.

jit5688 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:48:40

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jit5688 Tue 27-Aug-19 13:47:54

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elrel Fri 20-Nov-15 21:40:27

This morning the Singing Swede was mentioned again at Slimming World so I said I'd put it on Gransnet. Our group leader also uses the same method with celeriac.

Granny23 Tue 17-Nov-15 23:16:06

Ana Yes the turnip was a little wrinkled, which only added to the spooky effect, with a flickering battery candle inside. SIL had cut a slice off the top, before microwaving, complete with some of the stalks, so NEEPY had a green, punk hairdo as well.

Indinana Tue 17-Nov-15 22:03:35

Oh I've got to try this! I love swede, but have such trouble chopping it up - I usually end up sinking a big strong knife into it and then pick it up and slam it against the chopping board repeatedly. It's an accident waiting to happen shock. This microwave technique will keep my fingers (and chopping board!) intact. Brilliant smile

glassortwo Tue 17-Nov-15 20:50:02

We always had turnip Halloween lanterns in the North East, the insides would be used in soup or with mince and dumplings. They would start to smell singed after a while but it was the smell Halloween grin

Ana Tue 17-Nov-15 20:25:12

Wasn't the shell all withered though, Granny23?

Granny23 Tue 17-Nov-15 20:21:52

SIL used this method to empty out a giant turnip from our garden to make a brilliant turnip lantern for Halloween. We had the mashed turnip with Sunday Lunch - delicious.

Iam64 Tue 17-Nov-15 19:14:52

Wow, that sounds great. Thanks for this tip, I'd no idea it could be done. I microwave sweet potato frequently, but for the dogs…. smile

Elrel Tue 17-Nov-15 01:11:13

Thanks Ana - I've only just seen this. I must tell them at SW that the Singing Swede tip is appreciated on Gransnet! Glad we could help, Auntieflo!

Auntieflo Mon 16-Nov-15 18:29:55

Thank you Ana, Elegran, Loopylou, and to Eirel via Ana. You GN's are awesome. No sooner asked , than answered. Swede is now cooking as I write, so we can have it tonight. wine and flowers to one and all. My leftover red wine is in the beef casserole grin mostly !!!

Envious Mon 16-Nov-15 18:21:50

Swede sounds much more appetizing than rutabaga!

loopylou Mon 16-Nov-15 18:16:08

I tried this and it works beautifully! I feared a swede explosion but no, just a delicious result- you do need to be careful handling and scooping the cooked swede.....it's blooming hot!

Elegran Mon 16-Nov-15 18:03:50

Trim the base flat, stand it on a microwavable plate and give it 15 to 20 minutes on full power. Then cut it open and scoop out the inside to mash with butter and seasoning.

Ana Mon 16-Nov-15 18:03:07

Here's a post from Elrel on an earlier thread:

'October SW magazine: 'The Singing Swede' is a no mash recipe. Take one medium swede (no need to peel, chop or prick) and microwave on high for 15-25 minutes, turning half way. It will whistle as it cooks!
Cut off top and scoop out mash!'

Auntieflo Mon 16-Nov-15 17:58:12

I apologise for bringing this up, but I can't find the recipes/help/method for cooking a whole swede in the microwave. Any help gratefully received. Thank you to one and all.