Gransnet forums

Chat

The way you view

(18 Posts)
TriciaF Mon 23-Nov-15 14:16:42

I usually watch BBC1 Breakfast news, before husband comes down, and that's about it at the moment. He likes sport and poker, which I'm not keen on, though I do watch rugby.
There are a few series that I like such as Scott and Bailey, but I've never been able to sit through a film - too restless.

gettingonabit Sun 22-Nov-15 18:20:16

I've just watched The Bridge on the phone for the first time. It was a bit-little. I have a weak spot for Doctors if I'm in during the day, otherwise it's Corrie and documentaries, plus the odd drama. I don't find there's much on the box at the moment.

I have developed a soft spot for Air Crash Investigation, on Nat Geoblush.

harrigran Sun 22-Nov-15 11:57:31

I do not watch any live TV, everything gets recorded and then watched at a time convenient to me. Multi-part dramas are recorded and watched after series has finished. DH is quite methodical, we have different recorders for different genres so that we know if we go to A we will find documentaries and B will have films and so on.

Bijou Sun 22-Nov-15 11:29:34

Being alone and have mobility problem I watch a lot of TV. It is company. I watch all the soaps.

numberplease Sun 22-Nov-15 00:49:04

I`m a fairly lightweight TV viewer, I watch Neighbours, Home and Away and Eastenders, if I can`t watch when they`re on I record them. I do watch the occasional other programme, especally if there`s a good crime drama on.

Bellanonna Sat 21-Nov-15 22:00:16

Thanks NanKate. Will try it !

NanKate Sat 21-Nov-15 21:43:56

Yes Bella just type into Google Jazz fm live and it should pop up. Or choose a listen again option, easy peasy.

Baubles you too watch Amazon Prime. Can you recommend any good series to me? I am just watching series 1 of Bosch which I have enjoyed. My favourite was Outlander based on the books by Diana Gabaldon. I enjoyed the film Amnesia too.

Bellanonna Sat 21-Nov-15 21:20:03

DH and I don't often watch together. I might read if he's watching Antiques Roadshow, and he will read if I'm watching something that doesn't interest him, but we share the companionship of sitting together happily. I mute ads but have to keep an eye out for when they end. I must find out how to watch on iPad. I didn't even know you could pick up JazzFm on it. Do we have to pay to download these things ? Hopefully a DD will be able to sort that one out.

Coolgran65 Sat 21-Nov-15 21:04:35

Dislike ads so if watching something live, we let it run for about 15 minutes and then rewind and ff where necessary.

DH and I generally watch programmes together, I think I'd feel it was antisocial if we were each wired into separate programmes.

Alima Sat 21-Nov-15 19:11:23

Never watch daytime TV unless it is the occasional CBeebies with GS. Feel bereft if I miss the 6 o'clock news for some reason, even if it is just the headlines. DH loves sport and American programmes which I hate. Cannot watch anything on ITV because of the ad breaks and am watching more and more on my iPad like many of you. Would rather read and do crosswords.

tanith Sat 21-Nov-15 18:21:50

Also use ipad or laptop for a lot of things now, OH has the tv on to watch sport or old programs or films, I'm more likely reading or using the laptop.. I love it that I can take ipad or laptop with me when I'm away.

M0nica Sat 21-Nov-15 18:16:40

Like*baublles*, I find I am watching less and less TV. I do not bother much with DVDs or any other alternatives. I would far rather listen to the radio, or music or read a book.

Humbertbear Sat 21-Nov-15 17:06:35

We watch very little live and even less off terrestrial tv. I also watch on my iPad especially Netflix. I download programmes to my iPad if I am travelling

baubles Sat 21-Nov-15 09:55:52

I rarely watch live TV but have to confess to 'binge watching' if I get hooked on something DH picks up on Netflix or Amazon prime.

Left to my own devices I'd probably only watch an occasional film but that says more about my laziness than anything else. Can't generally be bothered with tv.

Anniebach Sat 21-Nov-15 09:44:15

I record any series I think may be interesting and watch when all the episodes are recorded, so same as a box set really. Watch very little live tv, news, QT, PMQ, if a film I want to see is televised I record it and watch later
I do leave the tv on even if sound off, company in evenings now that I have to stay in the house most if the time.

sunseeker Sat 21-Nov-15 08:51:11

The only "live" TV I watch is the news and perhaps some natural history programmes. If I do want to watch something it will be a DVD or a box set of a series (I have just finished watching the latest box set of The Big Bang Theory). Most evenings I will have the TV on for background noise but usually I am ignoring it and reading or surfing the internet!

mollie Sat 21-Nov-15 08:34:43

I use an iPad to watch and listen much of the time now. I might even be watching, wearing headphones, while OH is watching on the TV so that's a change from arguing over what we watch. But we also watch less, the TV isn't always on and some nights it isn't turned on at all so we are more selective about what we watch. That's a big change.

NanKate Sat 21-Nov-15 08:03:43

I was thinking recently that the way I watch tv, radio, films has very much changed in recent years, bearing in mind DH watches little TV so I have free run of what to watch and where.

I often find a series on Amazon Prime and watch it over a few days, not weeks as before.

I rarely watch anything live, usually on catch up or video.

I listen to JazzFM on the IPad as I can't get it through Freeview.

My IPad is my favoured way of watching/listening to a programme as I can transport to any room or take it with me on hols.

Do you watch in a different way in recent years ?