Gransnet forums

Chat

The Soop Kitchen

(1001 Posts)
thatbags Fri 04-Dec-15 08:13:52

soop gave me a key so her you are, folks, the new extension. Plate of crumbly oatcakes on the side there with the coffee and tea pots.

Imperfect27 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:13:38

smuiloes = smiles!!! smile smile [cake]

Imperfect27 Mon 15-Feb-16 09:12:32

Just thought I would poke my head round the kitchen door and see if I could visit today ... I am bringing left-over Guinness cake and family gossip after a truly lovely first ever weekend visit from GS. He is six weeks old now and mum and dad brought him for a gathering of the clans - lots of uncles and aunties and adopted family members came to give him a squeeze on Saturday. I felt like the preparations could have been declared as an Olympic event: cleaned the house from top to bottom before his arrival, kept the heating up, rewashed lots of linen in baby-bio detergent to avoid any skin reactions ... de-fleaed the cat ... made copious amounts of cake, tea and coffee ... supper for seven on the end of 3 days spent on my feet or knees .. My best idea, which worked really well for visitors - I bought a huge pack of bacon and loads of rolls - met with lots of 'Oh go on thens' and provided an easy treat really.

We really did have a lovely time - they stayed over into Sunday and we very much went at 'baby-pace' with smuiloes all round.

Does anyone else remember , with fondness if not a little exhaustion, that first ever GC visit?

kittylester Mon 15-Feb-16 09:07:09

I was being greedy - obviously it should be cupcakewinecupcakewine

Charleygirl Mon 15-Feb-16 08:24:55

kittylester I agree, and loads of coffee. We are like nomads, on the move.

kittylester Mon 15-Feb-16 06:44:38

Just checking that you are all still here and you ask you to make sure you leave a trail for me to follow to the new place - [cupcakes]wine[cupcakes]wine will do as markers! grin

Nelliemoser Sun 14-Feb-16 23:32:35

We will very soon need a bigger kitchen again.

Charleygirl Sun 14-Feb-16 22:47:27

Alea a cat's tongue is very rough when compared with a dog's. Both a cat and dogs tongues have explored various places on their bodies as you know. I still feel sorry for the young lady.

Alea Sun 14-Feb-16 22:38:12

charleygirl a picture of you in Grace's position would be worth seeing!!!! grin (I always thought animals' saliva was an antiseptic for them, but presumably doesn't help with clotting)

tizliz I love your comparison between poorly pooches and men! Oh yes, I would agree!!!

Charleygirl Sun 14-Feb-16 22:23:13

Alea the only young lady in my eyes is Grace. Her tail must itch- I do feel sorry for her. I would be doing the same in her position.

A few months ago Tara had a nasty cat bite on her rear end which became infected. The vet fees were sky high as you are aware. Tara spent most of her time licking that area with her filthy tongue but somehow it healed, no thanks to her.

I hope that yourself and the two invalids have a good night's sleep.

Tizliz I am so sorry, I must have missed the post stating that Torres had died- my apologies. That is a houseful and handful with two more!

Alea Sun 14-Feb-16 20:32:06

annsixty I can imagine a cat in a lampshade would be a very unhappy moggy indeed!! On one of our many vet visits I saw a small dog in a babygro to stop it getting at its stitches after spaying!
Which "young lady"? Grace? Just turning 13 (should have more sense by now) or my neighbour's daughter? About 25 I think.

Tizliz Sun 14-Feb-16 19:55:50

charliegirl unfortunately the reason soop painted Torres was because we had to put him down a few weeks ago. He is very missed but soop's paintings are a lovely reminder of him. He was high maintenance and not very keen on being brushed. We have two more Belgian Shepherds and one of them has even more coat.

alea it is so intense looking after sick dogs as, unlike men, they try and hide it if they are uncomfortable

annsixty Sun 14-Feb-16 19:40:09

My D is having her cats "snipped" tomorrow and she has been told they will be sent home with the "collar of shame". I have never seen a cat wearing one before. She had told them what is going to happen but she is not sure they understand.

Crafting Sun 14-Feb-16 18:34:04

Alea glad to hear your DH is feeling a bit better. Norty Grace fancy her taking advantage of your back being turned for a minute!

Tizliz what a lovely dog. Assuming that Soop has done her usual job of a good likeness. Wonderful paintings Soop

Charleygirl Sun 14-Feb-16 18:24:30

Alea 4 weeks post surgery is nothing for a dog and her stitches will not have dissolved properly yet. She is a little minx, you cannot turn your head for a minute. Luckily you caught her in time before she did any damage to her wound. At this rate she will still be attached to her lampshade next Christmas. How old is that young lady?

Pleased to hear that there has been a little improvement and hopefully he gets through the evening and night without any pain.

Alea Sun 14-Feb-16 17:22:32

What a beautiful, but chilly day it is today! DH felt able to come downstairs to watch the England-Italy match on TV this afternoon. The spasms seem to be much less frequent and also less severe. That is good, as I was exhausted with running up and down stairs to see if he needed anything. So, hopefully, whatever it was, it is getting better (until it happens again)

Was the St Kilda book you read, Tom Steel's The Life and Death of St Kilda?
If not, can I recommend that also?

I am so cross! I was interrupted a few minutes ago by my neighbour's daughter who was looking for old newspapers as she and her partner are packing up for a move and I took Grace's lampshade off for a minute or two so that she could "say hello" . K** told me about the new house, I saw her out and turned round. The little tyke was having a lick of her tail! [bad dog] emoticon. The op was 4 weeks ago and I don't think she has got at the stitches, but what a lesson to me.

soop Sun 14-Feb-16 16:49:14

Such a beautiful day we've enjoyed in bonnie Kintyre. I trust that you lot have been relaxing. I shall now log off and wish you all a pleasant and peaceful evening.

Alea's husband is in my thoughts. Together with all those Granspals who are having difficulties or feeling below par.

Bye for now. smile moon

soop Sun 14-Feb-16 13:53:45

bags Safe travels. smile

soop Sun 14-Feb-16 13:53:16

Bellanonna thank you for your kind words.

wot The history of the island of St Kilda is fascinating. The men would climb down the steep cliffs in order to ensnare the birds on which they survived. Apparently the feet of those who did so, adapted to cope with the terrain. It must have been a desperately hard life. No wonder that the inhabitants finally abandoned the island.

soop Sun 14-Feb-16 13:45:35

A very cheery Sunday afternoon to our lovely Kitcheners...

We've been walking in the sunshine. The air is dry and cold...perfect for the time of year. A carpet of beautiful snowdrops begged too be photographed. The picture doesn't really do them justice.

Alea I'm still concerned for your husband. However, you know him well. I'm certain that if his condition deteriorates, then you will seek prompt medical attention.

Charleyg Rory has found just the right spot for a nap...he's lying (indoors) in a pool of sunlight.

anno Scotland played a spirited game against Wales. I was yelling my "Come ons"...Wales had the edge. A very entertaining match. I do like Greg Laidlaw. One of my favourite players.

Did anyone watch 'Trapped' last night. We enjoyed it. A promising drama.

Charleygirl Sun 14-Feb-16 12:25:41

Tizliz Torres looks to me as upkeep of him is high on the agenda because of his long coat. Hopefully he likes to be groomed. How old is he? He really is handsome.

Bellanonna Sun 14-Feb-16 12:17:40

Alea, I gave up on the nagging. I now just supply a large tumbler of water at intervals and that seems to work. It's so important, isn't it, and frustrating when the pleas/nags/bullyings fall on deaf ears? Hope things improve.

Bellanonna Sun 14-Feb-16 12:13:27

Ah, Tizliz, thanks for pointing that out. I'd actually never heard of the breed and have just googled it. Really interesting. How handsome your dog is too!

Tizliz Sun 14-Feb-16 11:44:43

bellanonna yes I am delighted, a very true likeness. But he is a Belgian shepherd.

Charleygirl Sun 14-Feb-16 11:37:19

soop Torres is so lifelike I could stroke him.

I hope that you do not have inclement weather in your neck of the woods.

The sun is shining in NW London but it is very cold.

It will be cold in your area also so please make sure that Rory does not catch a chill!!!!!! Fat chance.

Alea I do hope that all is well in your household today and that you can find more than a boiled egg for lunch and/or supper.

Judthepud2 Sun 14-Feb-16 10:04:46

Alea if your DH's pain has been coming and going over a 2 month It sounds like he needs medical attention asap. Don't take no for an answer.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion