Gransnet forums

Chat

I'll show you mine if you show me yours....

(54 Posts)
baubles Wed 16-Dec-15 20:19:32

Prompted by another thread (which shall remain nameless) and since I've finally got my tree done I thought I'd share with you two of my favourite baubles.

One I bought in Paris the week before christmas almost 25 years ago and the other was a gift from a lovely gransnetter much more recently.

Synonymous Sat 19-Dec-15 00:17:36

Number - it is clearly sign of character and individuality in tree terms. I suspect your DH secretly knows it is listing! grin

We have had a rooted fresh tree in the past but bought an artificial one after 'the year of the needles' when we unfortunately bought a cut tree. The needles were for ever turning up however much we cleaned up!

We have had our artificial tree for well over 40 years now and it still looks every bit as good as when it was new. We have decorated the tree but DH won't let me do the fireplace as we have just had a wood burner installed and he thinks it will be too hot to put my garland on the mantelpiece. It would be a shame not to ever be able to use it again which I know is what will happen if I give in. Does he have a good point or will it be ok? confused

Greyduster Sat 19-Dec-15 09:49:40

number you need to do what we've done - make the curtain pole slant so that the tree looks straight! Simples!smile

Greyduster Sat 19-Dec-15 09:50:14

Except it's upside down - again!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 19-Dec-15 10:42:08

My fairy is starting to look a bit worse for wear. She must be about 46 now ! tchgrin

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Dec-15 11:20:34

Here is my tree at at at last.
It is complete with a rug rat guard made from bits of my fruit cage and some cardboard to prevent 8mnth old DGS from wrecking it.

Or at least to provide a barrier to slow him down in his attempts.

Like iron age earth works.

glassortwo Sat 19-Dec-15 11:23:08

number all the best trees have a certain lean... its tree character. I would take a photo of the one in our family room it has a lean but the little one repeatedly strips the lower branches and it look like we are just dressing it, the big tree in the living room isn't bothered with grin

glassortwo Sat 19-Dec-15 11:50:11

My friends wedding shop Christmas window.

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Dec-15 11:56:29

glassortwo Thats why I have my tree in the fruit cage. grin

annodomini Sat 19-Dec-15 12:13:13

Nellie, that looks like a perfect challenge to a determined infant! Good luck with that!

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 19-Dec-15 14:16:03

My tree. tchsmile

kittylester Sat 19-Dec-15 15:55:24

Ours!

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Dec-15 15:59:14

at at at??? I must make the screen size larger when I write post so I can read it more easily.

petra Sat 19-Dec-15 16:21:14

I don't know if this is going to work, lol. And why don't the red lights look red?

hildajenniJ Sat 19-Dec-15 16:41:11

This year I have gone with the vintage theme. I love the tree! The skirt is one I crocheted.

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Dec-15 16:47:18

Petra Low energy light bulbs mess up a lot of the colour of other lights and colours.

baubles Sat 19-Dec-15 18:00:51

Lovely trees, all very festive, it's cheering me up no end. tchsmile

I was thinking that my tree is looking a bit past its best and wondering if I should go back to a real one although it would have to be small.
The idea of real candles would give me the heebie jeebies too. tchgrin

numberplease Sun 20-Dec-15 00:50:08

When I was small, I remember us having real candles on the artificial tree, gives me the shudders now!
My MIL had the best idea about the tree, she`d put it away in January, still trimmed up, with a large plastic bag over it, then come the following Christmas, off came the bag and voila!

Misslayed Sun 20-Dec-15 09:17:44

Here's mine, decorated by my GDs. They do the othe grandma's tree too, but they like doing mine best "because you like it and she always changes it when we've gone home"! I have some beautiful Svarovski baubles, stars and snowflakes, which my mother brought from Austria over several years, and I always hang those at the top, just in case, otherwise it's all their own work.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 20-Dec-15 10:59:18

My DD has just told me you can see a cobweb in the corner in the picture of my fairy. tchblush

I am mortified. I didn't see it.

Nana3 Sun 20-Dec-15 11:23:38

Can't make a spider homeless at Christmas tchsmile

Stansgran Sun 20-Dec-15 13:23:02

Tell her rubbish it's just fairy dust gathering to fall.heres my 40 year old fairy and contrary to the song we love her.

Stansgran Sun 20-Dec-15 13:25:12

She's on the arm of the chair, acclimatising before the dizzy heights of the tree. She often has a touch of vertigo and falls off unless her tinsel is tied on properly.

Bellanonna Sun 20-Dec-15 14:31:31

Ok jings I did laugh. That's the kind of thing my DD would enjoy pointing out too. Anyway I can't see it, but what's wrong with a little spider happy to make her home chez vous. Gorgeous fairy too, as indeed are all the other trees and fairies.

Lona Sun 20-Dec-15 14:48:26

Here's mine although not quite on the same scale as all yours! ?

Lona Sun 20-Dec-15 14:50:16

glass I love your friends window display!