Gransnet forums

Chat

Sons Weddings

(15 Posts)
tracyj Fri 01-Jan-16 18:48:06

Both my sons are.getting married this year. I have always been close to my children and I would like to do something personal for each of them but I don't know what. Mother/son type thing. Any ideas please?

Coolgran65 Fri 01-Jan-16 18:57:50

I made up an album starting with his hospital wrist band, church christening certificate, pics... upper 6th final school report, copy of his primary degree and also his ph.d. relevant pics throughout all in chronological order. His first 25yards swimming cert. His first formal in his tux. First day at school. Etc etc

Gagagran Fri 01-Jan-16 19:10:36

I wrote a poem (very Pam Ayres style) for my DS and DiL about how they met and funny things about their courtship and wedding. It was read out at the wedding to great amusement. I also had a sampler done for them showing them on their bikes (keen cyclists) with their names and date of marriage. I had it framed with non-reflective glass.

ninathenana Fri 01-Jan-16 19:41:54

A lovely thought and lovely ideas.
I did something personal for DD but she is not the least bit sentimental and I don't think it was appreciated. grin
I'm sure your sons will love whatever you do.

whitewave Fri 01-Jan-16 19:43:47

My friend painted a flower and had it framed for her daughter's.

tracyj Sat 02-Jan-16 14:41:01

Thank you for all your suggestions. I would love to be able to paint, do cross stitch or make up a poem but I"m not that talented. I will try a poem though.smile

Humbertbear Sun 03-Jan-16 08:44:52

Why not write a letter including your memories of them growing up and telling them your hopes for their future?

Teetime Sun 03-Jan-16 11:15:40

Oh dear I don't think I will be much help here as I had two daughters who married in the same year. I gave them a pampering session at a beauty spa. Would men like something similar but more macho- personal trainer session perhaps, driving a sports car on a race track, tank driving?

tracyj Sun 03-Jan-16 17:26:36

I do love the idea of a letter. As long as I can write in coherently and not too tearstained. Thank you xx

Tegan Sun 03-Jan-16 17:35:43

The sampler idea is lovely; I may copy that as my son is getting married this year and is a keen cyclist [have to get someone else to make it, though].

RegineVercher Fri 01-Jul-16 13:44:07

The same thing happened with my mom when me and my brother got married last month over here in South Florida. She gifted us both an antique watch and it is very close to me and my brother. But having said that, anything that your mother gives will always be special!

annodomini Fri 01-Jul-16 14:08:45

Teetime, some young men might appreciate a salon treatment. When I turned up at the hotel where he was getting married, I was informed that he had gone out to have a facial. grin

Teetime Fri 01-Jul-16 15:19:10

Sorry I had a job to remember this as I posted my comment back in January- doesn't change you point though annodomini.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 01-Jul-16 16:14:44

I like Gagagran's idea best because it includes both of them. I think something personal to son only seems a bit like regretting having to let go.

tracyj Fri 01-Jul-16 21:25:02

I did write my son a letter and put it in a photo album from 21 to his wedding day. (March 2016) everyone who read it laughed and cried. I will now be doing the same for my other son for his wedding which is a week Saturday. I have done photo albums up to 21, this is why they were from 21 to their wedding days.