Gransnet forums

Chat

What do golf widows do? (or would you miss your OH?)

(25 Posts)
trisher Sat 09-Apr-16 14:21:56

I've just come back from Portugal where I saw loads of groups of men (mostly of 40+) who were there to play golf. Firstly I thought 'poor abandoned wives' then I wondered maybe their OHs are glad to be rid of them. It might be nice to have the house to yourself or maybe go off on a spa break. So if you are one share what you get up to and if you aren't would you quite like it if your OH went off for a bit??I haven't an OH but if I had I think I'd probably appreciate time alone!

tanith Sat 09-Apr-16 14:33:19

I'm a bowling widow in the Summer and I very much enjoy my time while OH is indulging in his bowling as he loves it. I go to watch maybe once or twice a season as I find it mind-numbingly boring which he appreciates but normally he'll play Sundays, and at least one afternoon and evening in the week, when things really get going he can play both weekend days. Of course if we have plans/holidays booked he'll stay home but otherwise we both enjoy our time apart and then enjoy chatting about out days over our evening meal.
I spend time in the garden or visiting family/friends sometimes a day out with the kids/grandkids.. or I might just sit out in the garden enjoying a book and relaxing for a whole day in peace and quiet.smile

It suits us both wink

Greyduster Sat 09-Apr-16 14:36:09

Practically the only time I am in the position of having an afternoon to myself is once every couple of weeks when DH takes himself off to the football. Today is the day! It is very quiet - no radio, no tv, just me, the iPad, a book and a packet of digestive biscuits! I will make some cakes later for GS's football refreshment stall, and maybe tie a few flies for my next fishing trip - if I can just sneak past that big pile of ironing....... smile. DO NOT DISTURB!

tanith Sat 09-Apr-16 14:40:17

I agree Greyduster its heavenly to have the tv OFF! for a whole day.

Thingmajig Sat 09-Apr-16 15:00:00

The best I is when DH goes off down south to watch his football team play which usually involves an overnight stay. I do enjoy having the day to myself to do as I please, the TV to myself in the evening and the bed to myself all night!
So I would "allow" him to go on a guys trip (except he doesn't play golf!) as long as he came home at the allotted time. smile

Stansgran Sat 09-Apr-16 15:38:10

I keep encouraging DH to have a golfing holiday but he says that his golfing friends all day and evening would give alcoholic poisoning. Fine to see them once a week but needs drink for any longer with them.

Maggiemaybe Sat 09-Apr-16 16:04:34

My DH is into Northern Soul and they tend to have all day sessions occasionally. Much as I love him, I also love having the odd few hours completely to myself smile I actually like having the TV on, tanith, and tuned to what I want! Last time it was a few hours of the back to back Dickensian episodes I'd recorded and which he didn't fancy - Dickensian, wine and chocs, what bliss! He's out tomorrow afternoon, and I'm going to dust down the last series of Peaky Blinders, another one he doesn't like that I've recorded. There's a new series in the offing, so I need to catch up.

Indinana Sat 09-Apr-16 16:24:02

My DH went to Spain last summer for a golfing break. Ordinarily I would have been gleefully thinking of all the trips out I could enjoy without him complaining. As it was, my DD was here, recovering from her C-section, with a week old baby, and I was exhausted helping her with all the night feeds, the washing, the sterilising.
I'm trying to talk DH to go away on another golfing break this year wink

rosesarered Sat 09-Apr-16 22:31:27

My Son-in-law goes on golfing trips to Portugal, and DD encourages him to go! It does him good and she enjoys the freedom of eating the meals she likes and seeing friends, going out etc.A bit of absence does make the heart grow fonder.

Alice16 Sun 10-Apr-16 09:31:28

I play golf too!

loopylou Sun 10-Apr-16 09:39:23

I'm a gliding widow and I have to admit that I love having time on my own ?
There's always something I can find to do, including doing nothing but read or garden all day, and with dgs2 due in a few weeks I know that will be an excuse for a trip to London if I'm needed to occupy dgs1 ?

We've always had our own interests as well as joint ones so very happy to keep myself occupied!

trisher Sun 10-Apr-16 09:41:58

Great replies! Alice16 good for you, but any idea why I didn't see any all women or mixed golf parties on holiday?

TerriBull Sun 10-Apr-16 10:21:05

I have a golfing husband, but I don't consider myself a golfing widow. We have had a number of holidays where golf has been factored in for a couple days during say a fortnight period. The best holiday we had in that respect was Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, a beautiful place in spite of being a golfing haven. We were lucky enough to visit Savannah and Charleston nearby. I am happy to amuse myself by the pool reading whilst my husband plays golf it's not a problem for me, always happy with a good book, he doesn't like to go away with other men on exclusive golfing holidays, he prefers my company, or so he tells me smile

annifrance Sun 10-Apr-16 10:37:47

When we lived in England I was a golf widow and thoroughly enjoyed time to myself. For a few years I used the time to study for a BA Hons part time degree through the University of Kent and loved it. We went on a few Golf holidays to Portugal with one of my oldest friends - wonderful, the guys played and we explored or lazed by the pool. Sometimes joined them on about 16th hole on glorious golf courses so had lovely walks too. When he went on a few days' trip I loved having that time to myself too.

Teetime Sun 10-Apr-16 10:38:50

As my name on here indicates I play golf. DH and I play together and he doesn't play with the other chaps although he may next year. We have never wanted to have separate holidays for any reason but we do appreciate our own space. DH bowls and I don't so that creates some spare time and I golf on Ladies morning - Wednesday.

I read in yesterdays Times that Quinta da logo in Portugal is being entirely remodelled as golfing males are now liking to take their partners and children to do other things on the same site - was horribly expensive though.

Greyduster Sun 10-Apr-16 10:58:27

My DH used to play golf - he can't now due to a shoulder injury that never healed - and we had a week with a couple we were good friends with in Spain, most of which was spent looking for a particular bloody golf course that they wanted to play. The holy grail of golf courses apparently! hmm. They found it, booked a round and on the day they were to play, we had more rain than I've ever seen since we lived in the Far East! And Thunder, and lightening! They were washed off the course having only played three holes! We ladies had a lovely time, having a lovely lunch, lounging by the indoor pool and generally agreeing about what pains in the backside blokes can be! We did manage to feel sorry for them though - poor beggars looked like drowned rats when they came home!

Alima Sun 10-Apr-16 11:13:35

Tanith your summers sound much like mine. DH loves his bowls and depending how they do in competitions can sometimes end up playing nearly every day. I also have no interest in the game. I am very impressed that you actually go and watch sometimes, that is certainly above and beyond the call of duty!

thatbags Sun 10-Apr-16 11:15:50

I always think there is something liberating in becoming a 'drowned rat' when you have a warm home and dry clothes to get into at the end of it.

I'm a drawing club and archery widow most weekends at the moment. I love it.It's much more comfortable than watching DH sitting around at home thinking up ways to avoid doing the decorating he said he'd do several months ago, which he has started but everything is still at half-mast. He's really good at disarray is MrBags wink

tanith Sun 10-Apr-16 11:58:00

Alima to tell the truth when I have been in the past my ipad is in my bagwinkthe ladies who play have engaged me in conversation and they are all lovely but the only topic of conversation is 'bowls' of course and they've really tried to get me to start playing shock I just say oh no I can't possibly the Arthritis in my hands won't let me grin.

Grannyknot Sun 10-Apr-16 12:11:00

My husband is a very good golfer so I am proud of his popularity on and off the course. He usually goes away once a year on a golfing holiday and comes back relaxed and full of stories of escapades. He phones me every night while he's away, usually settling down to his book after dinner when others - often younger men -in the group carry on having fun.

I tried playing golf in the early days, mainly because his family would say to me "Ooh, you best get on the course too, or you'll be a golf widow". I quickly discovered that golf is not for me (I'm too impatient). But I did take up running, and eventually regularly participated in events. So I guess you could say, he was a running widower grin

I don't mind in the slightest when he goes off for a few days to play golf.

Bijou Sun 10-Apr-16 12:35:33

My husband was a golf fanatic but at the time I had a large garden which occupied my time because he didn't like gardening. It was my hobby .

chrissyh Sun 10-Apr-16 16:30:47

I wouldn't say I am a motorbike widow as we both get a great deal of pleasure from our bike together, but my husband does go away once a year for 4 or 5 days with other biker on what they call the 'old boys weekend' (yes I know it's longer than a weekend. I, and any other wives who want to, go away for a long weekend, usually Warners where we can stay on site and use the facilities or go shopping or visit National Trust properties or RHS gardens. We have a lovely time.

petra Sun 10-Apr-16 16:37:09

I'm a HotRod widow (silly expresion) But I have to say that anything I want done in the house or garden is done. He's not stupid lol

norrinan Sun 10-Apr-16 16:55:59

We are lucky enough to enjoy mixed golf holidays and I love my girlie golf holidays .OH not keen on all men holidays but enjoys his time alone when I golf away.

Alice16 Sun 10-Apr-16 19:21:10

Trisher - some golf resorts are more attractive to all male groups, and others appeal more to mixed or female groups. I tend to stick to the UK for short golf trips with friends, but have been on some good mixed holidays abroad with my husband too. By the way, he also flys (flies?), skis and sails, and I don't, so we do spend time apart doing things we enjoy. It suits us! (We've been married for 40 years; there's only so much you can do together!)