Gransnet forums

Chat

How long will it be before my legs stop aching?

(19 Posts)
Grandma2213 Sun 26-Feb-17 00:42:10

I soon stiffen up and suffer pain if I don't exercise for a day or two. Walking is the simplest (and cheapest) but I also force myself to go to the gym two or three times a week if I can. It makes me focus and I walk more briskly on the treadmill than wandering and looking at nature! The downside is the awful 'music' and the sweating. I take my MP3 player and plug into Radio 4 which always has some interesting programmes to avoid the music and do some kettlebell exercises in front of the fan to cool down. I do feel better afterwards. Stretching is good especially before I get out of bed in the morning and swimming when I have time seems to do a good job of getting muscles moving.

When I suffered back pain recently the doctor, said it was a strained muscle and I was best taking pain killers and carrying on exercise rather than resting. He was right! You do need medical advice before doing this though.

MawBroon Sat 25-Feb-17 12:20:29

English a bit of a giveaway I fear hmm

Jane10 Sat 25-Feb-17 12:14:01

Advert alert!!

jackdawson Sat 25-Feb-17 12:08:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

starbird Fri 15-Apr-16 10:02:41

If I don't get any exercise my back and legs ache all the time, so I try to force myself to go out, though I don't always succeed. I can walk for miles on a flat surface but hills kill me, and I have to keep up a brisk pace and not stop, or I would not get going again. Sometimes one knee gives way and I have to wait for it to pass. Recently I have had a nearly constant bad pain in one lower leg which it seems may be due to line dancing - it is a type of 'shin splints' that athletes get when they undertake activities that involve sudden bursts of running etc with stops in between. If I have to give up the dancing I will be gutted, it is so enjoyable. ?
Have ordered a swimsuit so that I can do aqua aerobics instead.

Anya Fri 15-Apr-16 09:08:18

T'was the holding poses and stretching ones i found painful after pulling that muscle. The balances were especially painful.

Just goes to show what a great exercise yoga (and Pilates) is,

Judthepud2 Thu 14-Apr-16 11:20:31

Running Anya? I could hardly walk without pain but still went to yoga classes. The good thing was that the teacher was aware of my problems and suggested alternative moves to accommodate them.

It was helpful in my case, but I do take on board that it isn't for everyone. Just suggesting options for OP but no medical knowledge, so apologies if I was inappropriate.

Anya Wed 13-Apr-16 22:49:13

Yoga is not the easy option some people. seem to imagine it to be Jud

Several years ago I pulled the gastrocnemius muscle in my leg. It was six weeks before I could walk properly, eight weeks before I could start running again, 12 weeks before it stopped hurting when I was swimming and nearly six months before I could perform yoga moves without pain.

Just an indication of the strength you develop through yoga.

Judthepud2 Wed 13-Apr-16 20:32:49

I found yoga a good way to strengthen muscles. For the 5 years I was on hormone therapy after BC treatment, I suffered from stiff muscles and aching joints, especially in my legs and feet. This made walking a misery, so I didn't do it much. The yoga classes really did help to keep me mobile. As did swimming.

Now that I have been off the medication for 2 years, my joints have returned to relative mobility and my dog ensures I am back to walking at least 2/3 miles a day.

Anya Wed 13-Apr-16 16:55:35

Alima what you have therefore is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). If you google this you will find out all about it.

Yes, gentle stretching will help (but not before you've worked the muscles) but I suggest you read up about it. It's a natural reaction so not to worry.

janeainsworth Wed 13-Apr-16 11:27:03

I would agree with the others who have suggested stretching exercises.
I started doing Pilates a couple of months ago and I'm sure it's made a difference.
I've just coming back from a few days walking in the Yorkshire Dales organised by a very fit old school friend, and although after a 7mile walk with lots of ascent and descent my legs were tired & feet aching, the next day I could have done it all again. I'm sure prior to Pilates I'd have been on my knees!

Alima Wed 13-Apr-16 11:12:56

It's the muscles. I am hoping it is because they have not been used much lately. Intend walking more gradually, started yesterday with walking the long way round for bits of shopping then again this morning to get the papers. Cannot believe how lazy we have become.

Anya Wed 13-Apr-16 11:07:25

Is it the joints or the muscles that are aching?

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 13-Apr-16 11:05:44

I think it's to do with circulation because your arteries are naturally hardening. I guess keep moving is the only answer. I can't do more than three miles now.

TriciaF Wed 13-Apr-16 10:58:54

There can be several reasons for painful legs, from joint problems to blocked arteries tired muscles etc.
I developed an ache in one calf after walking about 200m. Mentioned it to the doctor and he sent me for echographie. It's a partially blocked artery, if I feel it starting to hurt, I have to stop walking until the pain subsides.
Mine is worse in hot weather, Dr. says because your legs swell a bit in heat.

tiggypiro Tue 12-Apr-16 16:29:55

If you don't already use walking poles - one in each hand - they do seem to take the pressure off the knees especially. I wouldn't be without mine and they are very useful going up and down hills and on uneven surfaces.

FarNorth Tue 12-Apr-16 12:50:17

I recently went to a private physiotherapist as I had been getting pain in one hip.
She advised stretching exercises which helped a bit, than gave me two sessions of acupuncture.
That has made a huge difference and I am almost as good as new, now.

Greyduster Tue 12-Apr-16 12:19:59

You aren't the only one. This past couple of years, we have cut down the length of our walks because I just can't do the mileage I used to do, and climbing hills - forget it! DH seems to be able to carry on walking, when I am on my knees after about six miles. If we are out for the day, and pace it properly, I can sometimes manage a bit more, and sometimes I don't feel too bad, but if we then have to drive home, by the time I've sat in the car for anything up to an hour, I completely seize up. I mentioned this to DS and he said perhaps we should do stretching exercises after he does when he's finished a run hmm. I don't think this should be on the " feel old" thread. I'm seventy this year but I don't feel old - I've just done a gruelling hour's aquafit session and I feel pretty good after that, but walking takes a toll on your legs because you are having to walk on different kinds of surface. Hard surfaces like roads and pavements are worst. I will watch this thread with interest.

Alima Tue 12-Apr-16 11:04:27

Up until the last year or so I used to walk for miles. Easily covered 15 miles a week when still working as I walked to and from work. When DH retired and I sort of gave up work we would walk for miles during the week exploring our new surroundings. Even when we started looking after DGS we walked a lot, going over to collect him, walks with him in the pushchair, shopping which was easily. carried in his chariot. Since he has started walking all the time we do not walk nearly as much, life has become quite sedentary over the last year or so and we use the car far more. DH has noticed it too, after only a bimble to the shops our legs and my back really ache. We have decided to go back to our old ways and walk everywhere, hopefully getting back to fitness by the day. Any ideas on how long it will take to stop the old legs from aching? Or should I have posted this on the I feel old thread?