Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it me, or is GN not so much fun as it used to be?

(135 Posts)
phoenix Sun 24-Apr-16 16:06:54

Dons tin helmet !

Galen Sun 24-Apr-16 18:28:40

Very quietly!
Should we try another virtual party?
Whitewave could bring Donald if he kept away from bonfires?

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 18:31:29

Oh please no! The first one was quite fun, but it all got a bit lame after that.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 18:32:42

A lot of the "fun" stuff on GN in the past has actually been quite lame.

One gets bored.

bookdreamer Sun 24-Apr-16 18:45:14

phoenix. In what way did you mean no fun? Lots of ways to interpret that. Would be interested to know.

merlotgran Sun 24-Apr-16 18:53:42

To be perfectly honest and feel free to have fun shooting me down but the best threads 'funwise' were always the ones that ended up getting deleted.

Fun at other people's expense? Maybe.... but as jingl says, 'It's all a bit lame now'

Solazure Sun 24-Apr-16 18:57:51

I am enjoying it very much. Agree some forums do get a bit over the top. I hate being preached to. I was in school many years ago and just want to enjoy retirement.

Ana Sun 24-Apr-16 18:59:33

I agree, merlot. It was fun while it lasted - too many earnest types ready to 'report' at the drop of a hat it seems now.

I think the 'party' threads have had their day now too, although feel free to start one Galen!

Charleygirl Sun 24-Apr-16 19:07:00

I have never reported any GN but I have found personally that one or two people were cruel and nasty to me. I did not join GN to have somebody jump down my throat because I disagreed with them or for other reasons.

rockgran Sun 24-Apr-16 19:09:05

I stopped posting for a while as I felt it all got a bit depressing. I look to Gransnet (and Facebook) for some light relief rather a serious political or social lecture. I guess that deep down I'm just shallow! grin

pompa Sun 24-Apr-16 19:13:40

Odd isn't it, when we have a thread like this, it is the same posters that join and the same posters that ignore it. That's about as deep as I can get atm. confused

Solazure Sun 24-Apr-16 19:15:47

Pompa I am new so not the usual poster..... only joking :-) x

kittylester Sun 24-Apr-16 19:18:54

Actually, phoenix, the blame can be placed at your door!!

Everyone really loved my posts about the Idiot but that spell you put on him worked so well that he seems to be fairly well behaved at the moment - although I don't think his willy dropped off so you could try again if you wanted to!

pompa Sun 24-Apr-16 19:22:42

Sincere, deep, meaningful, honest ????, oh yes I remember now, apologies Solazure.

Ana Sun 24-Apr-16 19:29:13

Some people always choose to be offended where no offence is meant. Shuts down the conversation and adds a sour note. Hey ho...

whitewave Sun 24-Apr-16 19:35:05

I think some of our parties have been brilliant. I enjoyed my journey to our last one very much indeed.

granjura Sun 24-Apr-16 19:36:36

Famous last words Ana ahahahahaha (pot ... kettle ;) )

Eloethan Sun 24-Apr-16 19:36:52

Romesh Ranganathan said in the Guardian that this was one of his favourite jokes (courtesy of Gary Delaney):

When my girlfriend suggested we try playing doctors and nurses I was really hoping for something sexier than being left in a corridor for two days.

Jane10 Sun 24-Apr-16 19:38:04

I don't think people choose to be offended -they just are offended. I suppose whether or not someone agrees or disagrees with a post illustrates how different we all are. Its a good way of learning about others and different perceptions of the same thing. Sorry not a 'fun' thing to say!

whitewave Sun 24-Apr-16 19:40:21

Duncan ( not Donald) has just gone on an away week.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 19:45:07

"I don't think his willy dropped off".

That's the kind of stuff I call lame. But if others enjoy it, I can just avoid. And will.

pompa Sun 24-Apr-16 19:45:41

Brilliant Eloethan grin

I agree with you Ana, some choose to appear offended and milk it. Analysing every word written.

But some are offended, either intentionally or unintentionally.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 19:47:21

It wasn't brilliant! It as really unfunny. confused

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 19:48:50

But we're all different. Some are more serious minded than others. That's ok. I guess. Yawn.

pompa Sun 24-Apr-16 19:50:29

Well there you go, I laughed at it. Takes all sorts.

jinglbellsfrocks Sun 24-Apr-16 19:55:02

Yes it does. Shall we have an angry row? I could swear if you like. smile